SNP to Abstain from Fox Hunting Vote

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having looked after hens I can't tell you the level of fear and menace foxes cause for owners.

^^^ This. Fox-hunting is immoral, but having seen foxes terrorise and kill chickens seemingly for the thrill of it, I can't get worked up about the supposed cruelty of it all.

But it really has nothing to do with Scotland. If the SNP votes on this, it opens the door to having to vote on every issue. We can't be England's moral compass.

^^^ This. Fox-hunting is immoral, but having seen foxes terrorise and kill chickens seemingly for the thrill of it, I can't get worked up about the supposed cruelty of it all.

But it really has nothing to do with Scotland. If the SNP votes on this, it opens the door to having to vote on every issue. We can't be England's moral compass.

I agree up tae a point.

Does it really need a posse tae chase a wee fox.

Remember they're no daein' it oot o' necessity but oot o' enjoyment.

The sick b*****ds.

'The unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable!'....and Oscar is Wild(e).

The borders is toffland anyway, its all the same. In the event of independence I'd happily give it to England most of them want that anyway.

How would that affect the divvying up of the oil fields come independence?

A lot?

A little?

No difference whatsoever?

For the humans foxhunting it is a very dangerous sport.

Many are seriously injured and even die following the fox on horse back.

H&S should, IMO, ban it and allow gassing and terriers to control the vermin.

And the foxes?

Will NI MPs vote on this?

Vote on what?

The fox hunting bill or Affro's hypothetical scenario of offloading The Toff Tory Borders into Engand?

The fox hunting bill.

Don't know, probably will.

If they do I'd expect it to split - Sinn Fein No show as per

DUP- probably vote for reintroduction so 8 yes

UUP - could vote 1 for and 1 against (assuming it is a free vote) 1 yes 1 no

SDLP - vote against 3 nos

Lady Sylvia Hermon - vote against 1 no

So 9 yes, 5 nos

But that's all guess work on my part, the DUP could vote no if the government ask them too (not sure if Cameron is keen on fox hunting or is just putting this bill forward to appease some of his grass roots), or they could abstain.

It certainly wasn't mentioned in any of the party manifestos which I perused assiduously, before exercising my franchise.

I don't think 4 yeses from NI would swing it - maybe it would.

Well that's nature isn't it?

Incidentally, 'dispatched' into the UK food chain in 2013 were:

....over 945 million chickens, 18 million turkeys, nearly 15 million sheep, 14 million ducks, 9.8 million pigs, and 2.6 million cattle

....4.5 billion fish and 2.6 billion shellfish

http://www.viva.org.uk/what-we-do/slaughter/slaughter-farmed-animals-uk

You must be suffering today 'champ'!

Stop avoiding the question. Are you a veggie/ vegan? Do you join the Hunt Sabs?

Respect, if you do. I know a few myself. Otherwise, you're not exactly 'doing what you can' to stop animal cruelty then.

Well that's nature isn't it?

Incidentally, 'dispatched' into the UK food chain in 2013 were:

....over 945 million chickens, 18 million turkeys, nearly 15 million sheep, 14 million ducks, 9.8 million pigs, and 2.6 million cattle

....4.5 billion fish and 2.6 billion shellfish

http://www.viva.org.uk/what-we-do/slaughter/slaughter-farmed-animals-uk

That's 15 each!

I've already had my quota for the year. I hope there's someone else who is not hungry. :(

Everybody in the UK eats a chicken every 3 weeks, approximately, according to those figures. That's everybody, which includes babies, vegans, vegetarians and people who don't like eating chicken.

Seems a lot, but if you take pre-packed ready meals like chicken kiev, Kentucky-type fried chicken, chicken dippers, chicken goujons, sandwiches which contain chicken it would soon add up. We used to have chicken every Sunday, fed 4 of us usually enough left over for sandwiches the next day, we would have had chicken curry (made from chicken fillets, not the left over chicken) once a week/fortnight, so I suppose every 4 weeks we each ate a chicken, which isn't far off the average of one every three weeks.

I'm surprised we "only" chomp our way through 18 million turkeys, though, and 2.6 million cattle. that works out at only half a cow each per year.

Archived