SNP to Abstain from Fox Hunting Vote

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DC has a tory majority of 12,

If this was a popular decision and vote amongst the Tory group then he could win the vote no matter what the SNP, Lab, Plaid, LD or anybody else did.

It is a pile of crap nonsense he can't even get his own party to back,

hence his chickening out of a vote.

Which makes claims that this is another SNP victory absurd. There have always been a significant number of Tories who are not in the shooting, hunting and fishing brigade.

Sturgeon (Feb 2015) :- "The SNP have a longstanding position of not voting on matters that purely affect England - such as foxhunting south of the border for example - and we stand by that"

Sturgeon was actually quite open about it being a U-turn and the reasons for that. I'd think credibility would be lost when you attempt to reverse course without recourse to explanation or obvious reaosning, or trying to disguise it as something else. However, Sturgeon came out with the reasons why and they seemed reasonably intellectually coherent, so I think a lot of folk will see that as not losing credibility.

They've stood up for the thousands of people that have recently got in contact with their local SNP MP's that demanded them to vote on this issue.

Aye right. Because fox-hunting is so much the topic of conversation in Dundee's households right now . . .

Which makes claims that this is another SNP victory absurd. There have always been a significant number of Tories who are not in the shooting, hunting and fishing brigade.

Well, they seemed prepared to vote on the issue prior to the SNP involvement, which suggests they thought they had the numbers, the SNP maybe tipped the balance then.

There is an issue with hunts in the Borders. I can imagine that policing/managing hunt that goes across the border could pose a few problems - to be bluntly honest - unmanageable.

The vote was to make the English rules the same as are already the case in Scotland so it would've made things easier if anything. The SNP have seen nothing wrong with our rules since 2002, now apparently they're too barbaric for English and Welsh foxes.

Worth noting that these claim are coming from practically every news outlet in Britain, before the Unionists on here start greeting about the NCC claiming absurd victories.

Sturgeon was actually quite open about it being a U-turn and the reasons for that.

There are always reasons for going back on your word. Which is fine. But you asked why they lost credibility.

You always do when you say something definitive and look like a total idiot when you do exactly the opposite a few months later.

There are always reasons for going back on your word. Which is fine. But you asked why they lost credibility.

You always do when you say something definitive and look like a total idiot when you do exactly the opposite a few months later.

Arguably the reasoning behind the original view have changed, the political terrain is different and if folk recognise that then you don't look like an idiot - you look like your adapting to a different situation.

Arguably the reasoning behind the original view have changed,

Yes, the reasoning being they have 56 MPs now, not a handful.

It was never a principled stance. The SNP don't do principles. Which is fine. But a bit of a sair yin for the idiots pretending that the SNP aren't engaged in politicking every bit as grubby as the rest.

Not sure why anyone even questions if credibility is lost. It is. What I'd question is how much it really matters, and if the SNP might actually GAIN from it.

It provides a punching bag for the press. It also shows the SNP can make a difference at Westminster. Which could be much more important.

Just for people who may not know. HB is actually an SNP voter and has voted for them more than me. How sad is that ?

Hb just claims to vote for whoever wins so he looks clever on the internet ;)

Not sure why anyone even questions if credibility is lost. It is. What I'd question is how much it really matters, and if the SNP might actually GAIN from it.

Thing is, they've only really lost credibility amongst absolute morons who thought they were in any way different from other political parties. Which is really just the dumb supporter types on here.

I doubt anyone will care much about their U Turn. It's what politicians do. The positive headlines so far would outweigh this.

Worth noting that these claim are coming from practically every news outlet in Britain, before the Unionists on here start greeting about the NCC claiming absurd victories.

Which shows how stupid the news outlets are.

The vote in 2003 was interesting in that it was not down party lines. A significant number of Lib Dem, Labour and Plaid Cymru MPs voted against the bill.

It provides a punching bag for the press. It also shows the SNP can make a difference at Westminster. Which could be much more important.

Most of the coverage I've seen has been positive tbh.

And yes, the question is whether they'll gain or lose support from this. I'd be surprised if the answer to that wasn't gain. The only people upset about this will be Tories and/or SNP Bad types, both of whom would never (or can't) vote for the SNP anyway.

Hypocrisy from the snp,clearly their actions are that of a spoilt child who because they are not getting their own way on other westminster matters are going back on their election promise of not voting on matters that do not concern scotland,looks the dummy has been well spat out and the tantrum is started.

post-53474-1436877109394_thumb.jpg

Archived