SNP to Abstain from Fox Hunting Vote

welshbairn, on 14 Jul 2015 - 11:31, said:

What are they standing up for, that English and Welsh foxes deserve to be chased by fewer dogs than Scottish foxes? Not exactly a high minded principle when they've done nothing to change the law in Scotland.

They've stood up for the thousands of people that have recently got in contact with their local SNP MP's that demanded them to vote on this issue.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is not Scotland's problem.

England voted Tory and clearly want this type of policy introduced.

It would be utterly undemocratic to interfere with England only issues.

Can you imagine if the Tories voted against Scotland only issues?

We'd rightly be in uproar.

Sorry but the people with blood on their hands are the vast tranche of English voters who value money and the economy above absolutely everything else and voted accordingly.

This is a democracy issue not a moral one.

Glad your party disagree with you.

God forbid our elected representatives listen to the concerns of the peopke they represent and vote accordingly. I can see how that would confuse some of the half-wits on this thread.

Those that follow politics like they do football teams have a bit of egg on their face here (not just SNP do this obviously - but this time it's them caught with their plans in a muddle).

I hope they come on here and criticise their party for a U-turn and a mistake - otherwise they'll be doing backflips and about-turns and lose any dignity they still had on this par of the forum.

Personally I'm not sure this move has done the SNP any favours. This is Westminster politics at it's very worst - f**k the issues let's get one over on our opponents. Part of their plan was to show that there is a different way to do politics.

On the other hand the trolling makes for brilliant reading - and the countryside alliance arseholes are getting themselves in a right tizz.

This isn't an issue that I get too het up over. After all, the plan for those opposed to foxhunting is to kill the foxes at night with a shotgun - as when you shine a torch at them supposedly they stand still and wait to be shot. I'm not a vet or a farmer but that doesn't sound like a great solution to the problem of foxes on a farm. Or does it?

Am I right in thinking there are vet organisations on either side of the debate?

Those that follow politics like they do football teams have a bit of egg on their face here (not just SNP do this obviously - but this time it's them caught with their plans in a muddle).

I hope they come on here and criticise their party for a U-turn and a mistake - otherwise they'll be doing backflips and about-turns and lose any dignity they still had on this par of the forum.

Personally I'm not sure this move has done the SNP any favours. This is Westminster politics at it's very worst - f**k the issues let's get one over on our opponents. Part of their plan was to show that there is a different way to do politics.

On the other hand the trolling makes for brilliant reading - and the countryside alliance arseholes are getting themselves in a right tizz.

This isn't an issue that I get too het up over. After all, the plan for those opposed to foxhunting is to kill the foxes at night with a shotgun - as when you shine a torch at them supposedly they stand still and wait to be shot. I'm not a vet or a farmer but that doesn't sound like a great solution to the problem of foxes on a farm. Or does it?

Am I right in thinking there are vet organisations on either side of the debate?

Apparently Angus Robertson said it was to show how weak the Tory majority is. They succeeded.

Personally I voted them in to cause as much bother to the establishment as possible so I have no problems with their latest stance.

The SNP have a longstanding position of not voting on matters that purely affect England – such as foxhunting south of the border, for example – and we stand by that. Where any issue is genuinely “English-only”, with no impact on Scotland, the case for Evel can be made. Nicola Sturgeon

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/feb/08/nicola-sturgeon-snp-mps-will-vote-on-english-issues?CMP=share_btn_tw

Fox Hunting - Will the SNP vote to repeal the fox hunting act?

The SNP has a long-standing position of not voting on matters that only affect England. The Hunting Act is one such matter that purely affects England and Wales, and so SNP MPs would not vote on this issue. However, SNP MPs will always be a voice for the protection of our environment and wildlife.
The Protection of Wild Mammals (Scotland) Act was passed by the Scottish Parliament in February 2002, making Scotland the first part of the UK to ban traditional fox hunting and hare coursing. There are no plans to repeal the Act in Scotland.

https://archive.is/racY4#selection-427.0-441.242

But like football, all they do is pretend that the soft penalty they got was a stonewaller, and the stonewaller the opposition were denied was a dive.

SNP "fans" don't criticise the SNP for anything. We've established that on this board over some time.

Which is why it's such a ludicrous position to "support" a political party.

I was surprised the SNP took this stance. Not because it's a volte face, because they have no principles in that regard, but because tactically I don't think it's a shrewd move.

I do find it funny, that almost in unison the SNP MPs were on twitter last night saying how they were all 'delighted' to be voting against, yet not so long ago they were giving the 'doesn't affect Scotland' line. Are they not allowed to use their own brain on these issues?

Of course they aren't. They are given their line to spread via social media by the party.

They have no autonomy. That's not how the SNP work.

This is probably a 'quid pro quo' deal with the Tory backbenchers.

You support us on getting the EVEL legislation kicked into the long grass, and we will support you in getting the Fox Hunting bill kicked into touch!

That puts the ball on the slates for both bits of legislation.

Agreed. My question was rhetorical.

It makes a lot of sense really. The more you rein in the plebs the more chance you have of eliminating embarrassing gaffes.

I genuinely wonder if they pick up a Twitter rota in the mornings, with a list of Tweets already written for them. They are like not very bright robots.

Absolutely beelin' :lol:

The seethe is delicious

I'm a paid up SNP member and voter, and think they've scored a sizeable own goal to their rightful position on EVEL. What do you think they've gained?

I'm a paid up SNP member and voter, and think they've scored a sizeable own goal to their rightful position on EVEL. What do you think they've gained?

I think you're doing it wrong.

This can only look favourably on the SNP, certainly down south. The tories want to pass a bill that around 80% of people are against and are now having to postpone until they get rid of the uppity jocks' voting rights on such matters. I didn't comment at the time (I don't think) as I thought they were going to be criticised either way, but I think this is the right way to go about it. Some of Nicola's reasoning is completely sound like her receiving messages from other parts of the uk, however the idea of doing it just to get one up the tories in response to their treatment of the scotland act is not something I agree with and I wish they'd kept that out of their statements

Archived