Gideon's All Singing, All Dancing Budget. 8th July

I'm Brian

It is our problem as it'll mean a cut in health spending which will have a knock on effect in Scotland due to the Barnett formula.

Surely it's our problem because even if you want to be independent from the rest of the UK you still care about the livelihood and fortunes of people who live there, particularly whilst we still have representation in the parliament which creates this change.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely it's our problem because even if you want to be independent from the rest of the UK you still care about the livelihood and fortunes of people who live there, particularly whilst we still have representation in the parliament which creates this change.

No, I want them to have democracy. They voted for that champ. I don't care about what happens there anymore than I do Australia or Sudan.

The only decent point was the guy above you about health spending here, obviously the SNP will vote against any cuts. But when they come they just make the case for independence so its fine, short-term pain for long-term gain is no problem.

If the English want to vote for a bunch of neo-con sociopath and inbred Eaton toffs then that's their look out.

If the English want to vote for a bunch of neo-con sociopath and inbred Eaton toffs then that's their look out.

Absolutely, these are the policies they voted for overwhelmingly. So now they will get them, that's democracy.

I think this is a double bluff.

The economy is much better than we think.

Labour would have been elected if the public had known this.

The Tory's were elected as they were the only party the English thought could 'fix the roof'.

Mutterings that they will be getting rid of unsociable hours pay for nurses. Basically a pay cut for most nurses as far as I can gather.

Would be a terrible insult to them if true. I would imagine strikes would take place over it as nurses are already overworked and underpaid.

Are you a nurse or are you just repeating a mantra that is repeated whenever we talk about the 'angels' in the nhs?

Nurses are not as underpaid or overworked as they previously were according to my friends in the nhs. Both doctors and nurses were quite well looked after under Labour without thinking of the knock on effects in terms of future pension funding gaps.

Not saying that they are overpaid or underworked, from what I'm told, they are about OK. That doesn't mean they should be hit with changes to pay and conditions without a consultation.

You really think that because they were elected they can do what they want and the rest of us shouldn't care? My area overwhelmingly voted Labour, but the rest of the UK did not, yet my area is still going to suffer because of the votes of another part of the country. Whilst I'm happy to accept that has led to a Tory majority, it doesn't mean I have to happily accept everything that the Tories want to do or consider their cuts as being 'not my problem'. If the Tories do go ahead with this it will massively impact nurses across England, a group of people who by and large I doubt voted Tory. But it isn't a problem because that's democracy.

I don't argue for a second that the Tories don't have a mandate to do this, but I simply refuse to believe I shouldn't care about those who are going to suffer because the rest of the country voted for the Tories.

Are you a nurse or are you just repeating a mantra that is repeated whenever we talk about the 'angels' in the nhs?

Nurses are not as underpaid or overworked as they previously were according to my friends in the nhs. Both doctors and nurses were quite well looked after under Labour without thinking of the knock on effects in terms of future pension funding gaps.

Not saying that they are overpaid or underworked, from what I'm told, they are about OK. That doesn't mean they should be hit with changes to pay and conditions without a consultation.

NHS wages have increased by 1% over the past five years, resulting in a real terms pay cut. Wards are becoming increasingly understaffed with an increase in healthcare assistants being used to paper the cracks. My experience of the NHS is seeing nurses who do work hard for little thanks, whilst the right-wing media attempt to portray them as fat slobs eating quality street paid for by the tax payer. In my experience this couldn't be further from the truth. Getting rid of unsociable working hour supplements will lead to considerable pay cuts for many, if not most, nurses.

I'm glad they were treated well under New Labour, it's another reason to celebrate The Great Man's ten years in power, but over the last five years they haven't been treated well but have taken that treatment with good grace and without the prospect of industrial action being taken seriously. If the Tories try to take away the beneficial pay for working horrible hours I would expect industrial action will be on the cards. I rarely support strikes but I would very much support that one.

Guess, I'll fling this in here:

Frankie Boyle's Election Autopsy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02qs82x/frankie-boyles-election-autopsy

Get's good fro 30:00 onwards with the woman who managed to ask Cameron an uncomfortable question at one of his staged election events.

The rapper guy on afterwards on racism pulls no punches but hits the nail on the head.

And Boyle, "Legally I have to say that Boris Johnson was not sodomised". :lol:

People who argue that everyone in England deserves to suffer because. 40% of those who voted supported the Tories need to have a word with themselves.

They also voted overwhelmingly to not ditch fptp so they can't whine when absolute power is handed to a party with a minority of the vote either.

NHS wages have increased by 1% over the past five years, resulting in a real terms pay cut. Wards are becoming increasingly understaffed with an increase in healthcare assistants being used to paper the cracks. My experience of the NHS is seeing nurses who do work hard for little thanks, whilst the right-wing media attempt to portray them as fat slobs eating quality street paid for by the tax payer. In my experience this couldn't be further from the truth. Getting rid of unsociable working hour supplements will lead to considerable pay cuts for many, if not most, nurses.

I'm glad they were treated well under New Labour, it's another reason to celebrate The Great Man's ten years in power, but over the last five years they haven't been treated well but have taken that treatment with good grace and without the prospect of industrial action being taken seriously. If the Tories try to take away the beneficial pay for working horrible hours I would expect industrial action will be on the cards. I rarely support strikes but I would very much support that one.

Subtlety is key with these things. Not your best work.

• 1 month later...

Archived