Who supports a different team from their father?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My family are all United fans. Growing up I never had too much of an interest in football but my mates preferred Dundee and so did my brother (but like me, he never liked football) so whenever anyone asked me what team I liked I said the dees. A couple years later, I got really into it and my dad took me to a game at Dens vs. Dunfermline and I've happily stayed a Dee since. Nowadays my dad only really goes to games if I go with him and always is in the Dundee end cheering on the Dees with me, even in derbies, so I'd say he was a bit of a converted Dee...

My dad was the only one of 7 brothers who didn't support Celtic, he followed Motherwell as his dad did.

All of my family on both sides are Celtic fans, except me.

Apparently my Granddad went to every home game at Fir Park for several years and, if Motherwell were away he would go along to Douglas Park and watch Accies. I am grateful on a daily basis that my Dad was much smarter than his brothers.

One of my mates was brought up a Saintee by his Saintee father and then decided to gloryhunt Livingston when they won the CIS cup.

He still supports them (as well as Saints) and has even sat in the away end at McDiarmid when we played them.

He is a strange, strange boy.

My da' left when I was two so not a clue nor any interest in who he supports.

Grew up in a house with four uncles: one Rangers fan and two Morton fans between them. I went for the local team (after flirting with the idea of supporting Celtic just to piss off everyone)

My granny, however, was a Hearts fan for no reason anyone could fathom.

The two uncles who support Morton don't have kids but the Rangers supporting one has managed to produce two of the most hate filled little bigots imaginable. He's now started going to Morton games as well and went off Rangers such is the disgust he has at the shit they spout.

My dad has supported Real Madrid all his life, I remember how when I was a small boy, he would drag me along to the Bernebeu but I just didn't get it.

It was only while inter-railing as a student, that I happened upon the team that have since been the only one for me.

I was heading for Aberdeen to meet up with my then girlfriend, who was studying languages there on her year abroad.

The train unfortunately developed a problem. The train had been stopped about half an hour and I got up to take a look around.The view I saw took my breath away. There was this small town with a church tower and behind it, it looked like the sea and in the distance were golden fields and distant hills. Call it a moment of adolescent madness if you will but there and then I decided to jump off the stationary train and walk down to this place. This happened in the days when you could still open train doors by opening the window and pulling the handle. To cut a long story short, I noticed the floodlights and wandered in their general direction. I could hear the sound of loud groans coming from the ground, so I realised there was a match on. I remember being struck by how little it cost to get through the turnstile. As I somewhat nervously walked towards the covered enclosure, where most of the relatively tiny number of fans were congregated, I could smell the aroma of what I later learned were delicious meat pies. I was captivated by the whole experience, which was so real, so raw, so engaging of those fan's emotions. From that day onwards, I made following Montrose Football Club, part of my life. Although I am ridiculed by my family and my wife has threatened to leave me many times on account of what she calls my crazy obsession, I have never regretted for a second, that day, which turned my life upside down. Then I woke up and it had all been a dream. Actually, I'm from Ferryden and my dad supports Montrose.

The majority of my family are Celtic fans, including my brother (who is Celtic daft) but hasn't ever regularly went to games - which doesn't look like changing as he lives in Australia these days. Two of my uncles and a cousin are St Mirren fans and my dad was a Rangers fan. However, it was my dad that took me to Love Street. I don't think he wanted me to get involved in any of the old firm nonsense at the time and St Mirren were our local team (which, being from Paisley, he had a soft spot for too). We generally went home and away and also took in the odd Johnstone Burgh match too.

There were only 2 St Mirren fans in my year at school - being a Catholic school pretty much everyone else supported Celtic. The other is who I go to games with currently.

My Dad is a Rangers supporter. To be fair to him when I was tweleve he took me to all five grounds in Glasgow (Shawfield, Firhill, Ibrox, Parkhead and Hampden) and let me choose who i wanted to follow.

It just so happened that clyde played well for the only time that season and won 4-2 v Alloa and I was hooked. I should have realised by his reply when I said to him, " dad i want to be a Clyde suporter," to which he replied, " are you sure???" :)

My family aren't very interested in football and really can't understand why I am. I am often asked by them why I bother watching such a consistently dreadful team.

I grew up in Glasgow and my Dad wanted us to steer clear of the bigoted arsecheeks. My elder brother half-heartedly watched a couple of Thistle games but was more interested in Liverpool, whom he (still) has never seen live, even thoughb his youngest boy has the full kit. I never took to Thistle at all. I went to games at Motherwell, Clyde and Thistle; I saw Clyde quite a bit in season 90/1, their last at Firhill.

I stumbled upon Montrose in December '90 and it's been Montrose since then. First game was a cup tie at the old Boghead v Dumbarton, which we won 4-1.

Last season I made 30 games, my enthusiasm for such terrible fayre was high because I had been abroad for a few years. I imagine I will make the same number of games next year, give or take.

Oddly, despite my Dad's anti-OF stance when we were kids, he outed himself as somewhat Rangers minded later on, in a watching-them-on-TV-and-unaccountably-liking-Walter-Smith kind of way.

Yes, but only because my dad doesn't like any team (apart from Scotland when they're on the box).

My two brothers support St Johnstone and, erm, Scotland respectively, and my son supports Dundee United.

Got my daughter hooked on the Bairns though.

Archived