Capital Punishment

Capital Punishment  

148 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not sure why I’m supposedly not able to reply coherently, perhaps you would enlighten me on this one?

The point I was trying to make was the Birmingham six were sentenced to life in prison to then later have their sentences quashed and they were released after a miscarriage of justice, in the event of a state using Capital punishment these six would almost certainly have been given the death penalty and could have been executed by the time it was decided there had been a miscarriage of justice.

One person wrongly executed after a miscarriage of justice is too many.

I worded my reply more harshly than I should have done. I apologise.

I just don't like the 'don't have capital punishment in case we get it wrong' argument since it implies that capital punishment is ok if we are sure we get it right.

My take is that our government shouldn't be in the business of executing crims full stop.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't like the 'don't have capital punishment in case we get it wrong' argument since it implies that capital punishment is ok if we are sure we get it right.

My take is that our government shouldn't be in the business of executing crims full stop.

Is that just because there's no money to be made? What if they contracted it out?

Tell that to Saddam and Osama.

I'd say that argument completely blows any argument to the contrary out of the water with more ease than any other though. Which is why nobody has been able to argue it since it was brought up.

Fair enough, I take your point.

I'd say that argument completely blows any argument to the contrary out of the water with more ease than any other though. Which is why nobody has been able to argue it since it was brought up.

Aye but it should be argued alongside other reasons why capital punishment cannot be used regardless of whether all doubt has been quashed. Otherwise arguing that the potential of innocent people being killed is the only reason to avoid bringing it back lends legitimacy to supporters' other arguments.

The alternative to capital punishment for the most serious crimes now seems to be life in prison without the chance of parole, sometimes in solitary confinement. That sounds at least as bad to me as execution. Anis Sardar has just been given a minimum 38 year sentence for building IEDs during the Iraq war. He left Iraq 8 years ago and has been working as a cab driver in London, where he's from and his family lives. He's 38, so won't be eligible for parole until he's 76. The only reason he was found guilty was that one of his bombs killed an American soldier, the Iraqi victims don't count. To him, he was fighting in a war, Iraq had been invaded illegally without agreement with the UN, but for some reason he's not covered by the Geneva Convention.

Here's what the Judge said in summing up:

I take into account your age, previous good character, the evidence of your two

character witnesses and the fact that, for about eight years since your return to England, there
is no evidence of you holding any extremist views or participating in any actions of an
aggressive nature against anyone.

https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/r-v-sardar-sentencing.pdf

P.S. I don't have much sympathy for the guy, his main defense seems to have been that he was only trying to kill Shia Muslims, but compare his sentence to your average child murderer and it seems extreme.

I think most people would rather die that spend 35 years in jail as a nonce

Most murders that go on are usually people who get into problems with the wrong people but the likes of the Soham murderer and Roy Whiting a few years previous its hard to not wish death upon them.

I think most people would rather die that spend 35 years in jail as a nonce

Most murders that go on are usually people who get into problems with the wrong people but the likes of the Soham murderer and Roy Whiting a few years previous its hard to not wish death upon them.

I'm not so sure on that. In the States, people on death row almost always take the appeals process as far as they can.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/execution-list-2015

I'm not so sure on that. In the States, people on death row almost always take the appeals process as far as they can.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/execution-list-2015

I do think we have this overiding urge to survive, so as much as death is 'easier' people will generally fight tooth and nail against it.

Fair enough - not sure how i would feel if given either option mind you!

I don't think capital punishment is the way forward but can see why people want it brought back for extreme cases.

The alternative to capital punishment for the most serious crimes now seems to be life in prison without the chance of parole, sometimes in solitary confinement. That sounds at least as bad to me as execution.

Is it?

Archived