Holyrood '16 polls and predictions

Crùbag

I don't think there is anything wrong with the council tax as the basis for local taxation. Add additional bands at the top and you have a progressive tax. Ideally I would like a land tax but it doesn't look like this is on the horizon.

I perhaps see housing differently from others in that for me it is somewhere to live, not accumulate value. If you are in a house that is too large for your needs (and possibly your income) then you should downsize. The housing issue in this country could be helped considerably if people were living in suitably sized houses and not keeping the one that they have lived in for 30 years that was adequate in size when the four kids stayed in the house.

That's a ridiculous statement and I think you know it.

If someone chooses to stay in a houses that's larger than their perceived needs that's their choice. They shouldn't, however, complain if they are taxed in some way for staying in a large property.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If someone chooses to stay in a houses that's larger than their perceived needs that's their choice. They shouldn't, however, complain if they are taxed in some way for staying in a large property.

Which is why I see a mixed tax of income plus property as reasonable.

There are people earning large incomes who are living in passed on council houses for example, because its cheap living.

No, I stand by it.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeh. Thinking maybe 45ish.

Desperate times ahead for slab

Is it correct that the SNP will be limited to the number of MSP they can get through the list vote because of the high vote % on the constituency vote and because of the proportional representation system we have in scotland.

The only way that the Tories will get second is if Dugdale somehow takes Labour beneath 16 per cent support on the day. Give them a few more years and they'll make it, but that's the Tories' current flat-lining figure (they'll probably be at 14 per cent by the time Labour slide further).

Is it correct that the SNP will be limited to the number of MSP they can get through the list vote because of the high vote % on the constituency vote and because of the proportional representation system we have in scotland.

Yes.. however there are certain areas like south Scotland where the SNP will probably hoover up the list seats due to better competition on the constituency.

I predict 71 SNP seats, slight increase... which would be very unusual for an incumbent government.

Nice to have a proper discussion with you kev :)

Yes.. however there are certain areas like south Scotland where the SNP will probably hoover up the list seats due to better competition on the constituency.

I predict 71 SNP seats, slight increase... which would be very unusual for an incumbent government.

Nice to have a proper discussion with you kev :)

No probs lol

Just wanted to clear that up because it can be a difficult system to work out,i think come may a good few SNP voters who maybe dont know the scottish system will put Snp as their 1st pick on the list.

No probs lol

Just wanted to clear that up because it can be a difficult system to work out,i think come may a good few SNP voters who maybe dont know the scottish system will put Snp as their 1st pick on the list.

It's not necessarily that bad a tactic. Liek you say, most folk probably don't have a great idea of the details of the system. But if you voted SNP in the constituency vote and were torn whether to vote SNP or Green in the list, you'd really need a crystal ball to know exactly how it would pan out. If you vote Green and they don't make it to the required list %age, then Labour could take a list seat that the SNP could have taken with a a few more votes etc.

2011 showed that the SNP can win a significant number of list seats even when they hoover up the constituencies. A JLD says, they can get quite a few list seats in areas where they won't win every constituency.

That 20% is only going to go down, especially with the campaigning still to properly start. An especially cold January and February could hurt the Tory vote too.

I was under the impression that Tory voters still had their votes counted even if they had died in the 12 months preceding the election date??? :whistle

Archived