Your Teams Best Result in Europe?

NoPapacNoParty

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you're going down the 'old' European cup only route then there can't be many cities in Europe to boast that achievement.

Madrid will be one. Can't think of any others

Milan ?

Overall probably stuffing Cologne 8-1 at Dens in 1962. They were second favourites after the great Real Madrid side of that era. Although the away leg was lost 4-0 in highly controversial circumstances it was, and remains a stand-out result for a Scottish club in Europe. In the same season we went on to beat Sporting of Portugal 4-2, Anderlecht (who'd knocked out Real) 6-2 and were finally undone in the semi-final by a far better and more streetwise Milan side 2-5.

In later years we got to the semis of the previous incarnation of the UEFA Cup and again trolled the f**k out of Cologne in the early 70s, by coming back to win a tie 5-4 on aggregate, after trailing 2-4 late on the second leg.

As for big wins in my lifetime, well i'm 41 and i've got a choice between Vllaznia and er, no one else :lol:

any one of our 4 (FOUR) wins against Barcelona would have to be up there.

since I have been following united it has been slim fucking pickings but the 3-2 v Slask Wroclaw was probably the best european performance i have seen at tannadice. GMS was unplayable that night.

since I have been following united it has been slim fucking pickings but the 3-2 v Slask Wroclaw was probably the best european performance i have seen at tannadice. GMS was unplayable that night.

Oh you poor bugger, born too late.

Our Euro halcyon days were before my time but the millenium has brought some awesome individual seasons and results.

The 2-1 win over Barca is obviously legendary but my personal favourites are the 1-0 win v Man Utd in 2007 with Naka's free kick and THG's penalty save sickening their fans who were an absolute shower of wankers by the way, and the winner by a nose being the 2-0 win away to Liverpool on the road to Seville with a screamer from Big Bad John settling it

I'm going to pluck for the 1-0 win away to rosenborg. I never made it across but watching it at my mates house on a stream and celebrating like f**k in front of his Norwegian mother was a blast :lol:

The 1-1 at home was just scenes.

• 4 weeks later...

2-2 Munich or the 4 against Copenhagen but I only watched them on tv as I emigrated to Aus by that time.

My favourite euro night at Pittodrie that I went to was the 0-0 against Hertha Berlin. Was my first taste of European football and loved the atmosphere

Being 4-0 down on Agg against Frankfurt only to go on and win 5-4 has to be Killies.

Drawing 2-2 with Real Madrid in European Cup is decent too, as was drawing the first leg of the Semi Final with the great Leeds side of the 60s.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay the result was a little disappointing but strictly speaking, what ever way you look at it, this was our best result in Europe ever!

I thought they did a good job under the circumstances. What style. What panache. Sure I have seen them play well before but this is playing in Europe which is a whole new ball game! Sorry, I'm wrong it is the same ball game but it is a whole new arena to be sure. Oops, I am wrong again - it was the same arena (very well attended - I am pleased to say). Anyway I am sure you know what I mean (even if I don't).

In any case, here's hoping next week is our best result ever - otherwise there will be no more best results ever in Europe - for this year at least!

.. and also hoping this is not the last time an Inverness Caledonian Thistle fan gets to contribute to this thread!

• 2 weeks later...

GMS only played a few minutes against Slask. Guessing you mean the 2-2 draw with Dynamo Moscow the following season? He was absurdly good that night.

Getting beat 3-4 at home by Chelsea in the Fairs Cup.

Still.. unlike 26 other teams in the SPFL at least we've been in Europe...

Aye technically Morton have been in Europe but must be the only team to qualify for a European Competition without actually needing to use passports :lol: .

Archived