Your Teams Best Result in Europe?

NoPapacNoParty

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the UK...

If you're going down the 'old' European cup only route then there can't be many cities in Europe to boast that achievement.

Madrid will be one. Can't think of any others

If you're going down the 'old' European cup only route then there can't be many cities in Europe to boast that achievement.

Madrid will be one. Can't think of any others

Yeah, the old European Cup route is the one I'm taking.

It's a wonderful achievement. :P

The Bayern QF in 1983 (both legs) is our probably our best.

Another one from that era, was our 4-2 aggregate win over the then UEFA Cup holders Ipswich Town, a side who were regarded as second best only to Liverpool in that era of English football. Exercised a few ghosts from the previous season's European Cup tonking by Liverpool.

Teams below for the second leg 3-1 Pittodrie win - Mick Mills will never forget Peter Weir.

Leighton

Kennedy

Rougvie

Watson*

McLeish

Miller

Strachan

Cooper^

McGhee

Hewitt

Weir

Cooper

Mills

McCall

Thijssen*

Osman

Butcher

Wark

Muhren

Mariner

Brazil

Gates

As mentioned, for us beating Valencia 6-2 and Everton 2-0 at EEP for a 2-1 aggregate win would be up there. Everton went on to win the English title that very season so to put them out at home after losing 1-0 at Goodison was some achievement. Was the Blues first ever European tie and we're immortalised on the Everton historical 'timeline' which runs around the exterior of the Bullens Road, Gwladys Street and Main stands.

Another notable victory must surely be the Cup Winners Cup quarter final win over West Bromwich Albion in 1969. The first leg at EEP ended 0-0 but a superb rearguard effort at the Hawthorns, and Pat Gardner's goal, saw the Pars (I am sure this is accurate) become to the first Scottish club to knock two English teams out of Europe. My dad remembers the second leg being broadcast live on a giant screen at EEP and the old timers reckon it's up there with one of the very best Pars performances ever.

The least said about our European exploits in my lifetime the better though.

A draw in Linz, and a defeat in Metz is all I've seen of Thistle in Europe.

Good trips though I bet. Missing Metz is my biggest regret in terms of following Thistle :(

Our best performance has to be losing 0-1 away to a very strong Borussia Dortmund side. We battered them but couldn't score with Tommy Coyne missing a few chances he would normally have put away. For a Motherwell team to run rings around a team with guys like Andy Moller, Karl Heinz Riedle, Stephane Chapuisat, Jurgen Kohler, Stefan Reuter, Matthias Sammer etc is a pretty amazing achievement.

Our best result was probably our first home European tie against GKS Katowice. Beat them 3-1 and they were a decent team with a few then current Polish internationals.

In my lifetime its likely the 1-0 win over Rosenborg, as its the best I can really remember, but a 3-3 draw with a Monaco side including the likes of Barthez, Marquez, Simeone, Sagnol, Prso, Riise, Giuly and Trezeguet is right next to it.

The older generation would probably say the 3-0 demolition of Hamburg in 1971 at Muirton Park. They contained a team packed with Internationalists with German legend Uwe Seeler the star man.

Archived