Next UK Labour Leader

FlyerTon

Next UK Labour Leader  

243 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My CLP is very left wing. Full of old fashion lefties who still call each other 'comrade' without the slightest hint of irony.

I disagree with the Tories fundamentally on multiple issues. Wouldn't fit in well there at all.

Kendall fundamentally should be in the tory party

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably doesn't take into account that the vast majority still seem undecided. Problem Corbyn and Kendall have is they are unlikely to appeal to people outwith their respective wings of the party. The leftists are backing Corbyn but he has little scope for support amongst the majority of the party (also the people switched off by CLP meetings hence the left wing bias of CLP nominations). Corbyn won't come close to winning.

Probably doesn't take into account that the vast majority still seem undecided. Problem Corbyn and Kendall have is they are unlikely to appeal to people outwith their respective wings of the party. The leftists are backing Corbyn but he has little scope for support amongst the majority of the party (also the people switched off by CLP meetings hence the left wing bias of CLP nominations). Corbyn won't come close to winning.

I'm not so sure. Holding an anti austerity ticket - ie a genuine difference to what the Tories are offering - seems to be a big vote winner at the moment, as the SNP found out in May and the English left seem quite desperate to get behind someone of that ilk. There seems to be a section of the Tory electorate joining labour to vote for Corbyn too, as they see him as a potential disaster for labour.

I think he might come second behind Burnham, but the fact that some polls are actually showing him in the lead at all is incredible.

Cooper would be best to pull out of the race and throw her weight behind Burnham IMO - I think she's going to have her vote squeezed anyway and it's surely in all their interests to increase their prospects in middle England. Corbyn wont do that.

Can anyone explain why Jeremy Corbyn's leadership campaign site is so basic? There is hardly anything about him, his campaign or his policies on it. Liz Kendall's site isn't much better.

Andy Burnham's and Yvette Cooper's sites are much better. They have lots of news on their campaigns and more on policy. Cooper's site has the best design by far.

There is much more to winning than rhetoric and ideology.

As much as I hate Blair and brown their levels of competence and statesmanship compared to now is astounding. See also comparative cabinets.

I'm trying to think of an appropriate analogy for this riches to rags tale and honestly can't think of one appropriate enough for such a complete implosion.

My CLP is very left wing. Full of old fashion lefties who still call each other 'comrade' without the slightest hint of irony.

I disagree with the Tories fundamentally on multiple issues. Wouldn't fit in well there at all.

and yet you don't want the only left winger in the race??? This sums up the labour party

Hard to see how Labour could have made more of a c**t of this leadership election really.

Best two candidates rule themselves out, leaving the reasonable wing of the party getting behind a candidate more famous for going out with Greg Davies than anything she's actually done. Then 'for the good of the debate' some leftist dinosaur is allowed into the race meaning the entire debate has become about him, despite his views having no relevance in modern Britain and in any party serious about getting back into government.

The Tories must be sitting there thinking all their Christmases have come at once.

Best two candidates rule themselves out, leaving the reasonable wing of the party getting behind a candidate more famous for going out with Greg Davies than anything she's actually done. Then 'for the good of the debate' some leftist dinosaur is allowed into the race meaning the entire debate has become about him, despite his views having no relevance in modern Britain and in any party serious about getting back into government.

The Tories must be sitting there thinking all their Christmases have come at once.

Who was that?

See, this boils my piss. Corbyn is no radical - suggesting that there may be ways of balancing budgets that doesn't involve massively regressive budgets and fucking over the poor is hardly the work of a Marxist. The political centre is a subjective construct, not a fixed point, the idea that 'to be serious about government' means tacking massively to the right and trying to be ersatz Tories is ridiculous.

You should probably join the Tory party TBH.

To state that there is no place in modern Britain for left wing politics is really just promoting the death of the Labour party movement.

The difference between labour and tories is almost non-existent. Even where policies differ, both parties move toward the populist position regardless of if this movement is left or right.

Given a choice of diet Tories or full fat Tories, the majority are almost always going to go with full fat Tories.

Labour are never going to win unless they present something of their own that isnt just muddled diet Tory pish. Have you never considered actually offering what the people want?

Of course, it makes no odds to me. Labour are profoundly anti-Scottish, and Ill never vote for them.

Given a choice of diet Tories or full fat Tories, the majority are almost always going to go with full fat Tories.

Labour are never going to win unless they present something of their own that isnt just muddled diet Tory pish. Have you never considered actually offering what the people want?

Of course, it makes no odds to me. Labour are profoundly anti-Scottish, and Ill never vote for them.

zzbuCSC.jpg

The Scottish Labour leadership contest feels a bit like waiting to take penalties while the opposition decide whether to put Peter Dinklage or Stephen Hawking in goals.

I'm unsure whether letting the Labour car-crash south of the border swamp the leadership contest up here is a relative stroke of genius or not. It reinforces their clown-car status but avoids scrutiny of the next bunch of Junior league jobbers who are already destined to be eviscerated by The Only Show In Town in May. I guess it doesn't really make much difference now.

I think that the last twelve months has absolutely finished them. They'll be Toried out of Scottish politics and hopelessly stuck between a centre-right and old left challenge to the Tories in England; neither of which leads to government.

See, this boils my piss. Corbyn is no radical - suggesting that there may be ways of balancing budgets that doesn't involve massively regressive budgets and fucking over the poor is hardly the work of a Marxist. The political centre is a subjective construct, not a fixed point, the idea that 'to be serious about government' means tacking massively to the right and trying to be ersatz Tories is ridiculous.

A government has no way of "balancing budgets" under the current system, because doing that is deflationary and worse. It ends up transferring debt to private households while at the same time suppressing wages and we all know how that will play out. When GO talked about having a surplus (oh how I laughed) that's really what he means. Whether he realizes it or not. Corbyn is unelectable and his views are of failed ones of the past. We need new ideas; not the neo-conservative or the old Labour ways we've become accustomed to.

Archived