Next UK Labour Leader

FlyerTon

Next UK Labour Leader  

243 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was having breakfast earlier this morning I remember catching that headline from The Sun about Corbyn, but a quick turn to pages 4-5 revealed he only wanted to reduce spending on it, which unless you have imperialistic attitudes or links to military contractors. It would seem like a perfectly reasonable policy.

Listening to Radio Scotland this morning driving to work and that prize walloper Tom Harris was on.

Doing a bigger hatchet job on the leader of his party than anyone outside their party good,

but getting rings sun round him by some old labour wifie that kept picking up on his history

re-writing exerecise.

New Labour good - All else bad,

Only thing missing from the interview was him asking the radio interviewer for a request for

'Things Can Only Get Better' with the message, 'miss you Tony please come back'.

Total bellend.

I've got zero sympathy for Labour when it comes to the right wing media attacks, especially after the Indy ref.

reap what you sow

I've kinda got a wee bit of sympathy for the UK's thick people who read that shit and lap it up because they don't know any better.

The press are in part to blame for the neo liberalist mess the UK finds itself in.

I've kinda got a wee bit of sympathy for the UK's thick people who read that shit and lap it up because they don't know any better.

The press are in part to blame for the neo liberalist mess the UK finds itself in.

No sympathy from me. The British public and Britnats from North of border are morons for believing most of this sh1te

Oh, Kezia :(

Nmi_MYc__normal.jpg

@kdugdalemsp

Tories mounting the most significant attack on working people's rights in my lifetime, we must unite against it. twitter.com/scottishlabour…
EfVdD_cF_normal.jpeg Michael Gray Sep 13
.@kdugdalemsp Labour argued to keep workers' rights with the Tories during the Smith Commission negotiations. pic.twitter.com/dV6ayYrLQT
Nmi_MYc__normal.jpg Kezia Dugdale Sep 13
@GrayInGlasgow a position held by many trade unionists
@kdugdalemsp Leaving Scotland open to "the most significant attack on working people's rights" in your lifetime. Why not back @ScottishTUC?
@GrayInGlasgow @ScottishTUC Unions position on this far from unanimous
· 1Di-HwUb_normal.png Steve Sep 13
@kdugdalemsp @GrayInGlasgow @ScottishTUC that's a disappointing response. The stuc response to Smith was very good.
@kdugdalemsp It's a perfect example of where federalism means ScotLabour can lead & outflank SNP, but unionism leaves you on the sidelines.

Oh, Kezia :(

Nmi_MYc__normal.jpg

@kdugdalemsp

Tories mounting the most significant attack on working people's rights in my lifetime, we must unite against it. twitter.com/scottishlabour…
.@kdugdalemsp Labour argued to keep workers' rights with the Tories during the Smith Commission negotiations. pic.twitter.com/dV6ayYrLQT
@GrayInGlasgow a position held by many trade unionists
@kdugdalemsp Leaving Scotland open to "the most significant attack on working people's rights" in your lifetime. Why not back @ScottishTUC?
@GrayInGlasgow @ScottishTUC Unions position on this far from unanimous
· 1Di-HwUb_normal.png Steve Sep 13
@kdugdalemsp @GrayInGlasgow @ScottishTUC that's a disappointing response. The stuc response to Smith was very good.
@kdugdalemsp It's a perfect example of where federalism means ScotLabour can lead & outflank SNP, but unionism leaves you on the sidelines.

Christ. Absolutely belted by her own there.

Labour are going to become the devo-max party shortly - the need for that seems to be dawning on even the most hardened supporter I think. If that was to happen, that would further diminish the liberal democrats already miniscule relevance.

Saw an interesting point on twitter last night, regarding butterfly effects and the unlikely debt that Corbyn owes Eric Joyce.

If Joyce doesn't hit that guy in the commons bar, then he doesn't get de-selected.

if he doesn't get de-selected then Unite don't create a massive stooshie in Falkirk by attempting to skew the selection process up there.

If there is no Falkirk issue, then Milliband doesn't institute the Collins review which transformed the various voting rights of different parts of the party that allowed Corbyn to win.

So, if Eric Joyce doesn't lose his temper, Andy Burnham would now likely be the Labour leader.....

Saw an interesting point on twitter last night, regarding butterfly effects and the unlikely debt that Corbyn owes Eric Joyce.

If Joyce doesn't hit that guy in the commons bar, then he doesn't get de-selected.

if he doesn't get de-selected then Unite don't create a massive stooshie in Falkirk by attempting to skew the selection process up there.

If there is no Falkirk issue, then Milliband doesn't institute the Collins review which transformed the various voting rights of different parts of the party that allowed Corbyn to win.

So, if Eric Joyce doesn't lose his temper, Andy Burnham would now likely be the Labour leader.....

Lots of what ifs there. There are two holes in your argument.

The first hole is that Corbyn would not have even been on the ballot if his opponents (Field, Beckett etc) had refused to nominate him. He only got the required nominations with minutes to spare.

The second is that the Collins Review had no impact on the final result. Corbyn got over 50% in all sections of the party. He did not need the votes of the £3 supporters. Corbyn would have had the union block vote too.

So where would Burnham have got the necessary 20% swing to beat Corbyn and become Leader.

Lots of what ifs there. There are two holes in your argument.

The first hole is that Corbyn would not have even been on the ballot if his opponents (Field, Beckett etc) had refused to nominate him. He only got the required nominations with minutes to spare.

The second is that the Collins Review had no impact on the final result. Corbyn got over 50% in all sections of the party. He did not need the votes of the £3 supporters. Corbyn would have had the union block vote too.

So where would Burnham have got the necessary 20% swing to beat Corbyn and become Leader.

It's very much tongue in cheek, but I wonder if in a different voting structure he'd have managed to get that momentum going.

Then again, arguably, the other three's decision to abstain on the welfare bill is what killed them. If Cooper or Burnham vote against that, they cause any amount of division in the party, but probably come out ahead in the leadership contest.

It's very much tongue in cheek, but I wonder if in a different voting structure he'd have managed to get that momentum going.

Then again, arguably, the other three's decision to abstain on the welfare bill is what killed them. If Cooper or Burnham vote against that, they cause any amount of division in the party, but probably come out ahead in the leadership contest.

The answer is Yes because the members and big unions would have backed him anyway. Corbyn had massive grassroots support that his team mobilised superbly.

It's unlikely that the abstentions had any real effect. The other three ran lacklustre campaigns that offered no alternative vision. Kendall has no chance from the start anyway.

The opposition to Corbyn was too split. Burnham and Cooper should have done a deal (like Blair and Brown) and run on a joint ticket.

Archived