Next UK Labour Leader

FlyerTon

Next UK Labour Leader  

243 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Corbyn's off to a flyer.

Did one broadcast interview post election yesterday, with BBC Newsbeat (children's thing) and declined an appearance on Andrew Marr today.

I'm not sure that the best way to begin to take Labour in a new direction is to effectively blank the telly.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basically agree but is Corbyn the guy to do it? Nicola Sturgeon has already challenged him to stand with the SNP over not replacing Trident. Can he take all the Blairites with him on that when he has defied the Labour whip over 500 times as an MP?

Think he has been clear that he would vote against trident as for his mps he should give them a free vote,i dont like this follow the party policy crap.

Un-bathered exhibit A :lol:

Corbyn should be interesting, probably quite good fun and will force Labour to find itself again, but nowhere near as funny as when rangers died. I ended up rupturing my Shatners bassoon laughing at that.

Very happy to brighten your day ????

I suppose I can only expect hostility after all the wee diddies have been remorselessly pumped rotten for over a century and will continue ad nauseum.

As you were ????

Going to be an interesting year or so for Labour. Parties have always had their individual issues on which they are split (Europe for the Tories) but this could lead to an ideological split in the Labour Party.

Corbyn will have a huge fight on his hands to unite the party behind him but if they do move left and MP's rebel against him then it simply makes you wonder why those same politicians joined Labour in the first place. Surely they'd have been better just joining the Tories from Day 1.

Yes politics in general has moved more to the right in the past 35-40 years but to have any sort of balance across the political spectrum all views have to be represented. I'm not advocating that Labour suddenly go so far lurching to the left that they become unelectable but the drift towards the Tories has gone on too long for Labour and getting into bed with them over Indy was too much for many in Scotland.

However, it could prove an electoral disaster. I think due to the power of the SNP they are a busted flush in Scotland and a huge proportion of the English electorate have become so right wing it's almost frightening. Public opinion down south on welfare, immigration, justice to name a few leaves very little room for manoeuvre to the left.

Anyway, it'll be more exciting than if any of the other three won and he'll ask questions of this shower that are in power at the moment.

I wonder if Dugdale will now come out and tell us she is against Trident being renewed

She cant win no matter what she does,if she says it must go then people will just say she has changed her mind because she was told to by westminster,if she says it must stay then the snp and anti-tridents groups will use that against her.

She cant win no matter what she does,if she says it must go then people will just say she has changed her mind because she was told to by westminster,if she says it must stay then the snp and anti-tridents groups will use that against her.

So she won't hold an opinion just because of what people might say?

Tell me again why I should vote for a party led by this woman.

Regardless of whether he is electable or not, it's an important victory because it will shift the centre ground back to the left slightly. Continual chasing of the centre ground like New Labour means you are basically following where the right take you and being a 'light' version of it. This has led to the current centre ground being way to the right of where it was 10-15 years ago.

Even if Corbyn proves to be unelectable he will at least provide a left wing voice, along with the SNP, that will help shift the debate and pave the way for a more electable left wing candidate in the future.

Very happy to brighten your day

I suppose I can only expect hostility after all the wee diddies have been remorselessly pumped rotten for over a century and will continue ad nauseum.

As you were

If you are here just to talk about your club, please don't.

This is a politics forum and yes I know Sevco Scotland supporters like to drag up their politics on football forums and in football grounds but it really is tedious for the rest of us.

Very happy to brighten your day

As you were

What a fucking state to be in.

Regardless of whether he is electable or not, it's an important victory because it will shift the centre ground back to the left slightly. Continual chasing of the centre ground like New Labour means you are basically following where the right take you and being a 'light' version of it. This has led to the current centre ground being way to the right of where it was 10-15 years ago.

Meanwhile, how much of the post-WWII welfare state will be left intact by that point? Austerity could easily be used as an excuse to push an even more radical right wing neo-liberal agenda than Maggie T's and the damage that could be done over 10-15 years of majority Tory rule is scary to contemplate. Labour swinging further left in the 1980s than most of the UK electorate was prepared to go was part of what made Thatcherism possible and ultimately led to the emergence of Tony Blair.

No she will hold an opinion but either way she will get criticized thats the point i was making.

Boo fucking hoo!

Poor Kez getting criticised.

At least it's only her opinion that's getting attacked and not her appearance.

Archived