Next UK Labour Leader

FlyerTon

Next UK Labour Leader  

243 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Fabian Society is one of the oldest left-wing political societies in Britain, it's over 100 years old and was involved in the setting up of the Labour Party to which it is still an affiliated group. They present papers and host conferences etc - they are a Labour think-tank essentially. I do not know who Duncan Hothersall is so he could be heavily involved for all I know.

Saying "I don't know" would have been quicker.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Genuinely the best reason I've heard for anyone to vote for Corbyn, which highlights what a terrible candidate he is.

Just get yourself a Tory membership. It'll save time.

Just get yourself a Tory membership. It'll save time.

Why would I get a membership for a party I fundamentally disagree with, particularly when I'm already a member of a party I largely agree with?

But you don't really though do you

Yes I do. I've been a member of the Labour Party for ten years. Doesn't mean I've always agreed with them but I am considerably closer to them than I am the Conservatives.

I'm a social democrat and subscribe almost fully with the philosophy behind New Labour. We, as a party, are currently to the left of where I lie, but that doesn't make me a Tory nor does it make me any more sympathetic to the terrible things this government is doing and what the coalition government did.

Why would I get a membership for a party I fundamentally disagree with

You don't really though do you?

Perhaps you give a reasoned amendment showing the differences?

Or, you could abstain from answering if you want.

Stick with your Tory-lite chums, if you don't want to win an election for the foreseeable future.

I saw some figures on the composition of the vote for Labour leader - 60,000 people have joined Labour since the election, 20,000 people have joined an affiliated trade union since the election and another 20,000 have signed up for the £3 Labour supporter scheme. Effectively the vote on Labour leader is being decided by people who have joined Labour in the last two months.

Multiple times I've listed both ideological and practical disagreements I have with the Tories, yet they seem to be wilfully ignored by the 'Labour are Tory-lite' brigade.

With this very young government alone I've already found myself dismayed with their health policy, with their unjust and unfair attacks on the unions, their attempts to undermine the BBC, their refusal to reverse the freeze on public sector pay and ideological drive to move people into the private sector. Their cuts to legal aid I find offensive. Their anti-immigration rhetoric and this odd attempt at reforming the EU (which focuses on aspects of the EU -workers rights and immigration- which I personally think are the best things about it) I feel is not only doomed to failure but the wrong thing to do even he does get the concessions he wants. I find myself angered that they are raising the minimum wage to the frankly offensively low level of £7.20, and then have the audacity to call it the 'living wage'. I hate the fact they seem to have no moral problems with zero hour contracts, which exploit workers across the country. We have a government who are not only refusing to give workers rights which should be basic, but are actually trying to lessen the influence of the trade unions that represent them. I'm worried about what this government are doing and still might do. I'm no Tory.

Multiple times I've listed both ideological and practical disagreements I have with the Tories, yet they seem to be wilfully ignored by the 'Labour are Tory-lite' brigade.

With this very young government alone I've already found myself dismayed with their health policy, with their unjust and unfair attacks on the unions, their attempts to undermine the BBC, their refusal to reverse the freeze on public sector pay and ideological drive to move people into the private sector. Their cuts to legal aid I find offensive. Their anti-immigration rhetoric and this odd attempt at reforming the EU (which focuses on aspects of the EU -workers rights and immigration- which I personally think are the best things about it) I feel is not only doomed to failure but the wrong thing to do even he does get the concessions he wants. I find myself angered that they are raising the minimum wage to the frankly offensively low level of £7.20, and then have the audacity to call it the 'living wage'. I hate the fact they seem to have no moral problems with zero hour contracts, which exploit workers across the country. We have a government who are not only refusing to give workers rights which should be basic, but are actually trying to lessen the influence of the trade unions that represent them. I'm worried about what this government are doing and still might do. I'm no Tory.

Yeah, and Labour had 13 years to reverse the laws around Unions and strikes, and didn't, who's opposition to zero hour contracts has hardly been consistent, who pander to the anti immigration rhetoric from the Tories, who's 'pledge' on the minimum wage was actually less than what the Tories ended up offering (and weren't offering the living wage themselves).

Yeah, and Labour had 13 years to reverse the laws around Unions and strikes, and didn't, who's opposition to zero hour contracts has hardly been consistent, who pander to the anti immigration rhetoric from the Tories, who's 'pledge' on the minimum wage was actually less than what the Tories ended up offering (and weren't offering the living wage themselves).

I'm talking about the current anti-union attempts, I have no desire to see them made more influential, but this attack on the ability to strike and change in funding laws is crippling. The Tories haven't even made noises about zero-hour contracts. I've mentioned multiple times about my dismay at Miliband's anti-immigration stance prior to the election. I believe the genuine and real living wage should be championed. The Tories are stealing the language of the living wage but not delivering the policy. This is a deliberate attempt at undermining the good work previously done towards achieving a living wage society.

The Tories are stealing the language of the living wage but not delivering the policy. This is a deliberate attempt at undermining the good work previously done towards achieving a living wage society.

The immediate reaction post budget from Labour was "they're stealing all our ideas". Your party then abstained rather than opposed the budget. And you're to the right of that?

The immediate reaction post budget from Labour was "they're stealing all our ideas". Your party then abstained rather than opposed the budget. And you're to the right of that?

Actually I'm probably not to the right of Harman. I think she's been brilliant and think it's a pity she isn't running. I'm to the right of the position Miliband took the party and am to the right of where Burnham/Cooper will take the party.

Archived