Dominican Republic

Andy Dufresne

Went around 5 years ago to the north side of the island. The hotel we stayed in was a Rui hotel, which served its purpose and was nice enough but stayed in plenty of better hotels. We got a stupidly cheap deal after the Haiti disaster.

Plenty of good places for snorkelling and there are a few places built specifically for tourists like shopping centres, sea life park etc.

Beaches are what you would expect from a Caribbean island but they are meant to be better on the Punta Cana side.

If you like rum then you will enjoy the locally made stuff but be warned some of it will blow the head off you. Tried one that the locals use to power their 2 wheelers.

I'll defo visit again in the future but would go to Punta Cana on the south side rather than back to Plata on the north side.

Thomson Sensatori are opening a new hotel in 2016 that looks pretty good!

We stayed at this place.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g663484-d1163459-Reviews-Dreams_La_Romana-Bayahibe_La_Altagracia_Province_Dominican_Republic.html

It was as good as can be expected I'd say. Not really my type of holiday but girlfriend loved it. I'm sure you know already that you're pretty much restricted to staying on the site of the hotel (not so bad if you book a good place, don't cut costs or you'll end up regretting it) or taking part in tours which generally aren't great tbh. If you're at a place that does a lot of watersports (not that kind!) it could be good.

On the plus side if you're looking for a sunny, relaxed break with nice beaches it is good. I ended playing sports in the complex each day which I enjoyed and the rum and cigars are excellent of course.

• 4 months later...

Christophe, I think the holiday in DR is more down to quality of the hotel complex than the surrounding area which generally isn't very nice explore.

Thought as much, just wondered if there were any hidden gems worth trekking out for. 14 days on the beach with a rum in hand will do fine if not though.

Anyone been to Punta Cana? What's the lowdown on what to do in the area etc

I have. Was there in June this year. Flew from Manchester, stayed in the Bahia Principe Esmerelda, about 30 minutes from Punta Cana Airport. The hotel was a five star one and all inclusive. THe entertainment at night wasn't brilliant, but the food was great, and the atmosphere was decent enough.

Weather was 85 - 95 degrees every day, about three spells of rain in a fortnight lasting just about 20 minutes each time. Apppaarently the weather doesn't change much all year round.

Went on a Megatruck tour through the countryside/sugar cane and oocoa plantations. It was OK, but like a countryside version of a timeshare - every stop we had, they wanted your wallet out. The presumption was that if you were on DR, you had plenty dosh.

Sanoa (sp?) Island was great - a bus to the mini harbour, two hours on a Catamaran to get there and lots of rum. Stunning beaches when we got there, and two hours back with more rum. I don't like rum, but the local stuff was good.

All in all a very relaxing holiday. Lots of Americans and Canadians go there as it's only about a four hour flight from Quebec.

We are thinking about going next year but a wee bit unsure if it is for us,anyone been and can give a bit of advice on where to stay and things to do?

Would you please take Bennett/Vicky the Viking with you and dump him/her on the poor people of Santa Domingo, or better, drop him/her in Haiti?

I'll pay the one way ticket!

I've been to Sosua in the north of the island, stayed at Casa Marina resort which is a big complex with 2 sister hotels, Casa Marina Beach and Casa Marina Reef.

Generally spot on with what's been said in terms of booking a nice hotel, as that's where you will spend your time. When you leave the complex there is nothing for the most part. Most of them are designed with this in mind though and are amazing. I have to say it's been arguable my favourite holiday. Definitely the hottest place I've been, and that's including all over Thailand.

Did 2 day trips whilst we were there, both which I really enjoyed. One was a jeep safari trip where our jeep broke down in the miiddle of the jungle, the other was a trip to Paradise Island which is utterly unbelievable. Essentially just a sand-bar in the middle of the sea that you travel out to by boat (obviously), and the only thing on it is a shack that they sell beer from. The water around it has such a high salt content that you can float on the top of it.

I'd love to go back sometime.

• 1 year later...
Booked up for May next year grand bahia principe punta canta anyone been

I was there years ago and it was very good. Seafood restaurant had the best plate of food I have ever had although all the food was good. I do remember the beer being virtually undrinkable though.

Archived