Greatest ever Prime Minister?

Kryptonite

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a bit subjective depending on your political view and experience I suppose.

I could argue Harold Wilson for keeping us out of Vietnam but as I was only 4 when he resigned for the last time and can't really remember his term of office, unlike my parents who thought he was a tube. An old Tory I know liked Sir Alec Douglas-Home but he's not going to figure in anyone's list of great PMs at any time.

I did live through three terms of Maggie and couldn't stand her policies but she did change Britain so can be seen as a great PM, albeit one I think was ultimately bad for the country.

Personally I've always had a soft spot for both the People's William (Gladstone) and Disraeli.

Now, who was the worst PM we've ever had? There's an interesting question. I'm not sure posterity will be kind to that supposed genius Gordon Brown...

In ascending order, shitest first.

Blair, worst. EU constitution sell out, opened the flood gates on asylum and eu, said 12k would come and 2m turned up, the human rights disaster, all his pc laws on race and employment, a minefield for employers and charter for greedy lawyers, Iraq War.. on and on.. all covered with that stupid grin and his repulsive trough eating greedy lawyer wife.

Heath, the traitor, nuff said,

Brown, the man with the midas touch that was asleep at the wheel

Wilson, did he do anything except nearly bankrupt the nation?

Major, most remembered for shagging Edwina Curry

Callaghan, stabbed in the back by unions and SNP, handed Rhodesia to Mad Dog Mugabe, nice legacy.

Thatcher, easily the most important figure post the consensus, dealt with the unions, scaled down old industries that were no longer competitive, made lots of people rich with right to buy and share flotations and won a great victory vs Argentine dictators in 82. Poll tax she lost it, did not listen and was wrong to use Scotland as a testing ground. In the end a strong leader who surrounded herself with yes men.

Cameron has a chance in the next five years to correct some of the madness of Blair but I'm not holding my breath. Just now he's a work in progress.

In my lifetime we've had Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown and Cameron. So it has to be Blair for me.

My adult life has only been Blair, Brown and Cameron. Picking a 'best' out of that lot would be pretty fucking painful.

My adult life has only been Blair, Brown and Cameron. Picking a 'best' out of that lot would be pretty fucking painful.

My life has only been they 3

I actually loved Gordon Brown when I knew nothing about politics cause he was Scottish and a Raith rovers fan, thought that was cool

Eta: major was aswell but can't mind him

My life has only been they 3

I actually loved Gordon Brown when I knew nothing about politics cause he was Scottish and a Raith rovers fan, thought that was cool

maybe Ian Rankin or Big Val would have made a better PM, although I believe Gordon Brown's detective fiction is shite...

Fictional Prime Ministers :

1. Francis Urquhart- shags then disposes of young women with daddy issues- what's not to like?
  2. The guy from Black Mirror- this boy has sex with a pig, you've got to give him that.
  3. Tony Blair in the Simpsons- likely based off the real life Tony Blair, who isn't actually fictional.

"I am not so much afraid of democracy or of science as of the love of money. This seems to me to be a growing evil. Also, there is a danger from the growth of that dreadful military spirit"

Gladstone.

That's outstanding.

Never seen that before but I have to admit I don't know much about Gladstone or disraeli.

Archived