Sign in to follow this  
TheScarf

The greatest ever Scottish sportsperson?

Its Sir Alex Ferguson, his achievements annihilate Murrays and any others. In terms of actually "playing" a sport, then its Murray, but thats not what the titles asking.

Dalglish has 3 European Cup medals from a 15 year playing career. Ferguson has 2 from 40 years. Murray has won two out of the last 40 grand slams Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

Dalglish has 3 European Cup medals from a 15 year playing career. Ferguson has 2 from 40 years. Murray has won two out of the last 40 grand slams

What point are you trying to make?

If it were a top five, leaving out managers such as Stein as Ferguson as they were coaches

1- Kenny Dalglish

2- Andy Murray

3 - Chris Hoy

4 - Stephen Hendry

5- Sandy Lyle

The debate as to whether snooker is a sport can be argued but seeing as it is classed as one Hendry is the most succesful player ever to pick up a cue.

Colin Montgomerie could have edged Sandy Lyle but never managed a major unlike Sandy's two, winning the US masters seals his spot for me

wiggo.png

3 time European Cup winner, five english championships, an abundance of domestic medals at Celtic, played at 3 world cups and Scotland's most capped player and joint top international goalscorer.

The most decorated and succesful Scottish player of all time

Mibbees im wrong but I'd say he's easily in the top five and a genuine contender for outright winner, he may have had a mixed managerial career (still won four english titles as a boss) but that cant detract from the phenomonal playing career, dont let a few wry jokes about him on Only An Excuse detract from what he has won and acheived

I feel the honour should go to someone from an individual sport. Someone in direct competition with others (obviously). And what Murray has achieved in his career, with 3 pretty massive obstacles trying to beat him 6-0 6-0 (6-0) is pretty fucking remarkable.

It's quite obviously Andy Murray.

I'm a keen cyclist, but Chris Hoy FFS. Don't think Kenny D is that bad a shout and would be definite top 3 for me.

Andy Murray first Chris Hoy second.

They aren't just the two greatest Scottish sportsmen ever, they're the two greatest British sportsmen ever.

Hoy wouldn't even be top 5 for me, same with any car drivers.

Great achievements, but in an absolute niche (sub)sport.

Jim clark, 2 World F1 titles, indy 500 and would have had more if he hadnt been killed so young. Seemed a decent spud as well.

Edited by Sandy Hodge

Dalglish has 3 European Cup medals from a 15 year playing career. Ferguson has 2 from 40 years. Murray has won two out of the last 40 grand slams

Sir Alex is the most successful manager in the history of football, without question. No other Scotsman has that sort of baggage to fight on their side.

If we're going by only "players" of a sport, then no, hes not. But if we're going for Scotsmen who were involved in a sport i don't see anyone who comes close.

Sir Alex is the most successful manager in the history of football, without question.

Bob Paisley, Arigo Sachi and Carlo Ancellotti have all got valid claims

And Mourinho has already got his second European Cup

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

One I always admired was Gary Armstong , rugby , a truly great scrum half. Not your greatest but worthy on mention.

Aye, we all miss murderers.

^^^

Doesn't understand murder

Scotland's greatest ever sportsperson doing the business as per.