The greatest ever Scottish sportsperson?

TheScarf

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Was that not Crossroads?

Benny Lynch

Was that not Crossroads?

Naw that was Angus Lennie.

There's quite an enjoyable few mins of oor Benny fighting here:

There has to be some sort of Top 5 for "Scots who beat the world but couldn't beat the bevvy"

Its should be Hoy, Hoy was at the top of his game over a decade with an impressive haul of Olympic Golds.

I would say no to Sandy Lyle and Stephen Hendry cause Golf and Snooker aren't sports.

Robert Millar was a guid biker but never beat the big boys, he was a one trick pony.

Wells has the PED accusations hanging over him and his Olympic Gold was achieves with no Americans in the field, I suspect that he may not have won if the Americans were competing.

Murray is again fantastic but not the best in the world.

I would agrue against Jackie Stewart and Colin McRae because they are just driving cars. Again not proper sports.

The only other one I would think about would be David Wilkie but again, he was never dominant.

Its should be Hoy, Hoy was at the top of his game over a decade with an impressive haul of Olympic Golds.

I would agrue against Jackie Stewart and Colin McRae because they are just driving cars. Again not proper sports.

So riding a glorified Raleigh Chopper is a sport but driving a Tyrrell-Ford F1 car isn't?

I can see your point, chap. The only way to level the playing field is to make Formula 1 and The World Rally Championship only open to folk in pedal cars.

We could be on the brink of a new sporting era ;)

So riding a glorified Raleigh Chopper is a sport but driving a Tyrrell-Ford F1 car isn't?

I can see your point, chap. The only way to level the playing field is to make Formula 1 and The World Rally Championship only open to folk in pedal cars.

We could be on the brink of a new sporting era ;)

:D To me the big argument against F1 drivers is that relatively so few people have ever given anything like that a go. So F1 champions are the best of a very small population.

That argument also counts against Hoy IMO. He won his golds in minority, specialísed events.

This debate is more about how much people value certain sports, rather than the actual sportsperson. If you view all sports as equal then you have to pick Hendry or Hoy. If you feel there's a hierarchy of sports with Tennis, Football and Golf as the top ones then Andy Murray would be top. I'd be inclined to go for Murray, then Hendry.

People get very arsey about what qualifies as a sport and often don't include games. However the skill and dedication to getting to the top of the field in a game is probably more than most athletes train. You can't work out 8hrs a day, but snooker players will often spend that amount of time practising. Top competitive gamers will often spend up to 12 hours a day practising. Chess players will spend all their time studying strategies etc.

Archived