The greatest ever Scottish sportsperson?

TheScarf

It is, and who said it had to be a 'world' sport anyway.

It is

Not as often, as aggressively or as early they didn't

If there was it would be the person who has won the World Championships the most, which is him

It isn't, you only have to look at the current and historic top players to see that. World Champions have been almost exclusively from the British Isles. As such that has to be a factor in assessing Hendry's claim IMO.

Debatable.

So?

But there isn't. If you had used the world 'unofficial' ironically I would agree with your statement. ;)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we include managers, than I can't see past Alex Ferguson. Stephen Hendry, Andy Murray and Chris Hoy all come close.

Stephen Hendry ????

He was the World Champion in a sport in which about 10 people play it.

He also didn't have to play in an era where there were 3 players clearly better than him, something which Murray has, and win all those World Championships.

There's no way it's Hendry, not even close.

Stephen Hendry

He was the World Champion in a sport in which about 10 people play it.

He also didn't have to play in an era where there were 3 players clearly better than him, something which Murray has, and win all those World Championships.

There's no way it's Hendry, not even close.

What a bizarre line of argument that 3rd paragraph is. The reason Hendry never had to play in an era where there were 3 players better than him is because there's never been anyone better than him at his sport full stop. He's the greatest snooker player there's ever been and his achievements will likely go unmatched for the foreseeable future.

Scotland hasn't ever had anyone else who has consistently dominated his chosen sport the way Hendry did. Unless of course you count political debates as a sport, in which case King Alex Salmond wins hands down!

My point about Hendry is that he doesn't/didn't have to deal with the competition Murray has to win all these championships. 2 men and their dug play proffesional Snooker. It's not even a proper sport in all honestly.

There's no way he can be considered even in the same breath as Murray. To do so is ludicrous.

The only viable argument against Hendry is the lack of participation in snooker. Tennis is truly an international sport, you can count the foreign snooker players on one hand.

Hoy is one of the most crowned olympians around so also deserves a shout, but again track cycling isn't all that accessible.

Has to be one of the three imo, arguments can be made for them all. Murray has never quite reached the heights of the three guys around him, but to even compete with such quality is pretty remarkable. Hendry and hoy both reached the top of their respective sports. Tough call, I'm gonna sit on the fence.

Surprised there are so few shouts for Alan Wells.

I'd agree he'd be a contender - if one of the criteria is that the sport has to be worldwide, there can't be many things more accessible than running as fast as you can, and a guy who won Olympic and World Gold in that event must have been decent!

People will say there were no Yanks at Moscow, but he beat them all 2 weeks later, and regularly over the next 18 months anyway.

People will say there were no Yanks at Moscow, but he beat them all 2 weeks later, and regularly over the next 18 months anyway.

Indeed. He also beat the number one ranked sprinter in the 100m final, Silvio Leonard. It's the single greatest Scottish sporting achievment ever IMO, just beating Murray winning Wimbledon.

Liz McColgan hasn't been given a shout yet, but her World Championship 10,000m gold was similarly a top performance.

Dalglish, he did it as a player both his clubs and Scotland, won national and European titles and then went onto become a successful manager.

I know not all of his managerial career has been a success but I very much doubt we will ever see a team like Blackurn win the Premiership.

Indeed. He also beat the number one ranked sprinter in the 100m final, Silvio Leonard. It's the single greatest Scottish sporting achievment ever IMO, just beating Murray winning Wimbledon.

Liz McColgan hasn't been given a shout yet, but her World Championship 10,000m gold was similarly a top performance.

Margot Wells deserves a lot of the credit for his success too.

I went to one of her sessions once - apart from the fact she is a bloody good coach, there is also no way I'd want to go home to her if I hadn't won gold!

Some names not mentioned.

Douglas Jardine was born to Scottish parents and spent a lot of his childhood growing up in Scotland, considering himself Scottish.He was the England cricket captain during the bodyline and managed to silence one of the greatest sportsmen ever (Don Bradmen) with his tactics. Also averaged 48 in the days when that was very rare.

Eric Liddle another not born in Scotland but won 7 caps in rugby and a gold and bronze in track and field at the Olympics. Perhaps our most multi-talented.

Jimmy Grory is the all time leading goal scorer in UK football. Managed an incredible ratio of 408 league goals in 408 league appearances. All in 550 goals.

Personally Id say its between Hoy and Murray. Hoy because at 6 gold medals he is joint top most UK Olympic golds and the other one is Bradley Wiggins who would be in the running for greatest British sportsman ever.

Murray is close to the best in the world at a major world sport in an era considered a golden age for mens tennis.

Archived