The greatest ever Scottish sportsperson?

TheScarf

Old Tom Morris.

Not a patch on his son.

Much as I was a fan of Hendry, snooker isn't a world sport, and I think that counts him out. Off the top of my head, I think the top contenders are:

Andy Murray

Sandy Lyle

Allan Wells

Robert Millar

and maybe Ken Buchanan

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a patch on his son.

Much as I was a fan of Hendry, snooker isn't a world sport, and I think that counts him out. Off the top of my head, I think the top contenders are:

Andy Murray

Sandy Lyle

Allan Wells

Robert Millar

and maybe Ken Buchanan

I get them mixed up could be him. Think Dalglish would have to be mentioned too.

Don't think Murray could be a serious contender, done great and I'm a big fan, but he's nowhere near the best in his sport. We have others who were.

Perhaps if the OP's original question was' "what scottish sportsperson is/has been the best in their sport?", then you would have a valid point.

If we're going golf then James Braid got more open titles than both Old and young tom Morris. Most successful scottish player in terms of Opens..

Indeed, but young Tom died young and would likely have gone on to win more than five.

Perhaps if the OP's original question was' "what scottish sportsperson is/has been the best in their sport?", then you would have a valid point.

Its valid anyway, as you can't consider someone a greater sportsman than another if they dominated their sport and the person in consideration didn't.

Who do we have that were the best in a genuine world sport? I can't think of many.

Stephen Hendry as I said, he literally changed snooker the way Tiger Woods changed golf. It became a much more attacking game due to him, people took the first opportunity to go into the pack.

He also won 7 world titles, more than anyone else. Making him officially the best player of all time, and easily the best in the world when he was playing. Andy Murray is nowhere near that, so couldn't be considered Scotland's greatest ever sportsman.

Stephen Hendry as I said, he literally changed snooker the way Tiger Woods changed golf. It became a much more attacking game due to him, people took the first opportunity to go into the pack.

He also won 7 world titles, more than anyone else. Making him officially the best player of all time, and easily the best in the world when he was playing. Andy Murray is nowhere near that, so couldn't be considered Scotland's greatest ever sportsman.

Snooker isn't a genuine world sport.

It arguably isn't a sport at at all.

Players did go into the pack before Hendry.

There is no official "best player of all time."

Apart from that, spot on.

Snooker isn't a genuine world sport.

It arguably isn't a sport at at all.

Players did go into the pack before Hendry.

There is no official "best player of all time."

Apart from that, spot on.

It is, and who said it had to be a 'world' sport anyway.

It is

Not as often, as aggressively or as early they didn't

If there was it would be the person who has won the World Championships the most, which is him

Its valid anyway, as you can't consider someone a greater sportsman than another if they dominated their sport and the person in consideration didn't.

Its really not, you completely disregard the fact that andy murray has had to compete in an era with arguably the 3 greatest tennis players of all time.

Its really not, you completely disregard the fact that andy murray has had to compete in an era with arguably the 3 greatest tennis players of all time.

Which makes my point. Andy Murray is blatantly not the greatest tennis player of all time, whereas Hendry is probably the greatest snooker player of all time. So how you could describe Murray as a greater sportsman I have no idea of.

I think Bjorn Borg might disagree btw.

Archived