Anti austerity march 20th of June. (London)

dorlomin

Demo_Cover.jpg?1430322337

You can either a) get down to London to join in.

or b) see about setting up a similar event in Scotland at the same time.

The People's Assembly is organising a major national demonstration to tell the new government: END AUSTERITY NOW

Assemble: 12pm, Saturday 20 June
Bank of England (Queen Victoria Street)
London (Tube: Bank)

With the Tories going it alone in government we know exactly what to expect. More nasty, destructive cuts to the things ordinary people care about- the NHS, the welfare state, education and public services.

We'll be assembling the demonstration in the heart of the City of London right on the doorstep of the very people who created the crisis in the first place, the banks and their friends in Westminster. We demand that the bankers and elite should pay for the crisis and not the vast majority who had nothing to do with it.

Now is the time to get organizing, to mobilize our communities, to prepare transport and spread the word. We need to do all that we can to make this demonstration bigger and bolder than ever we have done before.

Transport is being arranged from across the country. More details to follow.

www.thepeoplesassembly.org.uk

I am not 100% sure about Scots law but I think that a static demonstration does not need police permission so if you do something in George Square or so on that is not a march you should just need a facebook group and some vigorous promotion.

That said all the national media will be focussed on London. Its not one of the big union organised set pieces that can get a couple of hundred thousand but I can see it get 50k plus.

It will attract a strong "black block" element but for the most part you just ignore them when they splinter off for their fun and games.

It will end in tears. They always do in London. And they say we are the savages.

Never been on a march in my life. Probably never will be until the next independence campaign. The only reason I would ever go to something like this is to take photographs.

It will end in tears violence . They always do in London. And they say we are the savages.

Never been on a march in my life. Probably never will be until the next independence campaign. The only reason I would ever go to something like this is to take photographs.

FTFY. I would recommend staying away. Even innocent by-standers can get attacked or arrested.

Kind of feel like the People's Assembly should have been a bit more vocal prior to the election.

It's a little amusing seeing London being an island of red ( on the electoral map) surrounded by the stockbroker blue belt.

Kind of feel like the People's Assembly should have been a bit more vocal prior to the election.

It's a little amusing seeing London being an island of red ( on the electoral map) surrounded by the stockbroker blue belt.

London an island of red? Utter rubbish!

Barnet, Finchley, Hendon, Upminster, Romford, Hornchurch, Westminster, Chelsea, Bromley, Beckenham, Old Bexley, Bexleyheath, Orpington, Sutton, Croydon, Battersea, Putney, Wimbledon, Richmond, Kingston, Twickenham, Ruislip and Uxbridge all elected Tories.

Barnet, Finchley, Hendon, Upminster, Romford, Hornchurch, Westminster, Chelsea, Bromley, Beckenham, Old Bexley, Bexleyheath, Orpington, Sutton, Croydon, Battersea, Putney, Wimbledon, Richmond, Kingston, Twickenham, Ruislip and Uxbridge all elected Tories.

Quite a few of those are London by postcode only; "Proper" Londoners get quite annoyed if you refer to places like Bromley, Beckenham and Orpington as part of London. They're considered tag-alongs from counties like Kent and Essex who thought they'd get a bit more money and prestige by being absorbed into the Greater London area.

Also, Croydon is Tory? :lol: They deserve everything they get.

Some people are talking about violence at demos. In my experience hundreds of thousands turn up, have a nice day and go home only to find the news dominated by black block rucking with TSG. Them two lot are rules unto themselves and do not affect the main body of demonstrations. Unless you are going to an explicitly anarchist demo, black block will toddle off somewhere else and TSG (London's riot squad)will follow them and they will have their fun elsewhere.

London returned a Labour majority as usual. And as Dave says, half of those places aren't really London. Almost everyone in Romford, Upminster or Hornchurch will tell you they come from Essex rather than London (I should know, I'm from Upminster).

Calm down, it's close enough, for illustrative and general chat purposes.

CEf61m1WIAA5yPv.jpg

Quite a few of those are London by postcode only; "Proper" Londoners get quite annoyed if you refer to places like Bromley, Beckenham and Orpington as part of London. They're considered tag-alongs from counties like Kent and Essex who thought they'd get a bit more money and prestige by being absorbed into the Greater London area.

Also, Croydon is Tory? :lol: They deserve everything they get.

"Proper" Londoners don't live in Barnet, Finchley, Westminster, Chelsea, Battersea, Putney, Richmond or Wimbledon? They all have London postcodes and elect/fund the Mayor and Greater London Authority.

And yes, the Tories held Croydon Central (narrowly) and South Croydon (safe seat). Croydon North has been Labour since the 1990s.

Some people are talking about violence at demos. In my experience hundreds of thousands turn up, have a nice day and go home only to find the news dominated by black block rucking with TSG. Them two lot are rules unto themselves and do not affect the main body of demonstrations. Unless you are going to an explicitly anarchist demo, black block will toddle off somewhere else and TSG (London's riot squad)will follow them and they will have their fun elsewhere.

Even the Countryside Alliance's middle class demonstrators got bashed up by the TSG in Parliament Square a few years ago.

"Proper" Londoners don't live in Barnet, Finchley, Westminster, Chelsea, Battersea, Putney, Richmond or Wimbledon? They all have London postcodes and elect/fund the Mayor and Greater London Authority.

And yes, the Tories held Croydon Central (narrowly) and South Croydon (safe seat). Croydon North has been Labour since the 1990s.

I must admit to being surprised that Barnet is a Tory area; I've never been, but for some reason I had it in my head that it wasn't a terribly wealthy place. None of the others are any surprise.

Croydon :lol: Decades of Tory rule and, I'll bet, still a shithole.

Archived