A Scottish Air Force?

FlyerTon

The Tories have shut down 66% of the RAF in Scotland, leaving only one base, do you not think that air cover in Scotland should be devolved?

Scotland is one third of the UK land mass despite what is shown on some fake TV weather forecast graphics.

England has about 20 RAF bases.

You could call it RAF-S or RSAF or and get Leuchars back protecting the east coast.

Defence should only ever be "devolved" in the event of independence - but indy is inevitable anyway

It's a scandal, due to Tory cuts, we only have 1 RAF base in Scotland but about 20 in England.

Surely, if the people of Scotland want to have more air cover we can pay for it if the Tories will not?

It's a scandal, due to Tory cuts, we only have 1 RAF base in Scotland but about 20 in England.

Surely, if the people of Scotland want to have more air cover we can pay for it if the Tories will not?

All the snp said in the white paper was that they would retain the currant military bases in an independent scotland,if defence was devovled then would they stick with that.

It's somewhat down my list of immediate priorities.

There has always been an enormous structural subsidy for London and the SE of England in the UK, because it is so heavily centralised as a state. You do not need full independence to fix it, federalism would do it as well, but it makes the whole economy of scale argument used during the referendum by the No side less than convincing.

We need these jets near the biggest city in Scotland, not in the near far north of Scotland. Thanks to the Tories, that is what we have when they axed Leuchars to leave 1 RAF base in Scotland.

Edit to add: I think that's the Austrian Air Force.

Historically, having the RAF mainly based in the likes of Kent, Hampshire and East Anglia made sense. The perceived threat was just across the Channel, and the speed/operating range of planes meant they were the only places an engagement would take place (in WW2 a Messerschmitt 109 would have less than 10 minutes flying time over England before having to turn back if it wanted to make it home)

Not sure what the rationale is behind almost everything STILL being there though. It's similar to how the majority of the Army remains in Wiltshire and Hampshire as if they were facing a possible Napoleonic invasion of the south coast of England.

Careful what you wish for though, although they might bring in some cash to the local economy big military settlements tend to be grim places - I had the misfortune to spend a couple of nights in Aldershot once with my work.

Is it true that all the oil rig protection in the north sea is done by the Norwegian navy? I'm sure somebody on here said it was the case because we haven't got suitable ships in Scotland, or even any ships. Anybody know if this is genuine?

We do not need an air force. Such a thing would be a total waste of money in today's society.

What a dreadful idea.

RAF Search & Rescue. Maritime Patrol. I would much rather see money forked out on those (and reinvesting into Lossiemouth/Kinloss) than maintaing a nuclear deterrent.

RAF Search & Rescue. Maritime Patrol. I would much rather see money forked out on those (and reinvesting into Lossiemouth/Kinloss) than maintaing a nuclear deterrent.

RAF are getting rid of Search and Rescue handing over to Civil agencies

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21934077

Maritime Patrol aircraft came to the end of thier life at the wrong time when replacing them was too expensive after the banking crisis.

Archived