Mhairi Black appreciation thread

Mr Bairn

If not the greatest, then certainly favourite achievement so far: The frothy mess she has got her detractors into on this very forum.

Turtle + Yes badge > Oaksoft + H_B

Rather embarrassingly for you, Oaksoft is a rampant Yes clown.

Ouch! Imagine agreeing with Oaksoft on anything.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on folks, put me in my place.

List this woman's achievements that justifies an entire thread of arse kissing.

I'm not talking about what she has said. What has she physically DONE to justify hero worshipping.

Well, firstly, she didnt just walk ibto the seat, she was up against Labour's election campaign manager, and a man with a far bigger profile than most of the other red tory drones. When she was selected, the SNP were accused of not trying. However, to even get through the selection process, there were many SNP candidates vying for every seat, and they had to attend hustings and survive a vote, so just to do that, as a 20 year old, is a remarkable achievement.

Secondly, she has faced the full glare of the media spotlight. The 56 have faced a lot of attention, and this has fallen full force on her, more so than any others. Unlike (say) Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh, or any of the others who have had full media training and are camera savvy, she is very much still raw and under development. And yet, despite this, she has behaved perfectly. Honest, realistic, entertaining, and facing down full media hostility (the storm over her tweets as a 15 year old).

And then her speech. Well, the numbers say it all.

So far, its a remarkable story, and she has aquitted herself better than I could of as a 20 year old, or most 20 year olds ive known.

You can say that she hasnt cured cancer yet, and thats fair enough, she hasnt. But winning her selection battle and then getting elected is a remarkable story in itself.

Really? How many posts do I have on this thread, and where am I on the list of "Top Posters"?

You're on 6th on 23, the other two mentioned are on 1st and 7th. I'm sure you'll agree the 31 pages = hero worshipping is a typical bit of Oaksoft slavering.

You're on 6th on 23, the other two mentioned are on 1st and 7th. I'm sure you'll agree the 31 pages = hero worshipping is a typical bit of Oaksoft slavering.

Just part of his rather creepy obsession about young people really.

What a sad bitter old man.

It's my sharing a common simian ancestry with the likes of you that really grinds my gears :)

I rather suspect you are much closer to our ancestors than me.

Where's Oaksoft ? Someone must've tapped in that open net :lol:

Probably waving his stick at the local degenerate youths walking quietly past his front gate without even doffing their caps.

"Hero worship" :lol:

In a few months, the argument has gone from whether Black is experienced enough to be a capable MP to laughably claiming people are worshipping her. What an arse Oaksoft has made of himself here.

Some of the reactions have been a little over the top though (and some rather apathetic - but we know who that was!!).

Was it a good speech? Of course but it wasn't the Gettysburg Address as some here are trying to make it look like. Yes, she may have been 20 years old and I know from experience that a lot of 20 year olds might not be able to have done it - but I have also seen (particularly in debating competitions) some outstanding speakers. Just because you are young doesn't mean that you are not capable (and just because you are older does not necessarily make you more capable). I know some have said that she should have shown more nerves - but why? She's almost certainly faced larger and more hostile audiences. I know from my own experience in student politics and my career that the scariest thing was not standing in front of an audience of nearly a thousand making a speech at an NUS Conference - I was more scared when I had to stand up on my own in front of a class of pupils for the very first time.

Did she write it? Possibly the bulk of the content, but there are signs that this speech was vetted and had input from others. The press release for her speech was released before she made the speech with an embargo (I know this from a local journalist) - so clearly the SNP leadership knew what she was going to say. That's not really that surprising - I doubt anyone making their maiden speech would not seek some guidance - in Mhairi Black's case I suspect she would almost certainly have been offered assistance. That's not because she wasn't capable but because the SNP leadership allegedly want a tight rein on their MPs and they know that she is high profile - I know that there are some who would happily see her fall flat on her face - so she passed that first hurdle. There were also key phrases that look like they had been put in from someone else, especially the "I feel that it is the Labour Party that left me, not the other way about" - not that original considering it was used by Jimmy Reid. Personally, I've not a problem with that - some of the greatest speeches ever made have had some external input or plagiarised others - I know that if it was me I certainly would seek advice and at the very least ask someone to listen to my speech before delivering it - only an idiot or someone with a huge ego would do otherwise.

That all being said, a speech is a speech, words are words - Ms Black knows herself that what she does is what matters. Above all, I sincerely hope that she keeps her feet on the ground (she seems to have done so far), listens to advice and takes on board constructive criticism. If she does I am sure she will go a long way.

Some of the reactions have been a little over the top though (and some rather apathetic - but we know who that was!!).

Was it a good speech? Of course but it wasn't the Gettysburg Address as some here are trying to make it look like. Yes, she may have been 20 years old and I know from experience that a lot of 20 year olds might not be able to have done it - but I have also seen (particularly in debating competitions) some outstanding speakers. Just because you are young doesn't mean that you are not capable (and just because you are older does not necessarily make you more capable). I know some have said that she should have shown more nerves - but why? She's almost certainly faced larger and more hostile audiences. I know from my own experience in student politics and my career that the scariest thing was not standing in front of an audience of nearly a thousand making a speech at an NUS Conference - I was more scared when I had to stand up on my own in front of a class of pupils for the very first time.

Did she write it? Possibly the bulk of the content, but there are signs that this speech was vetted and had input from others. The press release for her speech was released before she made the speech with an embargo (I know this from a local journalist) - so clearly the SNP leadership knew what she was going to say. That's not really that surprising - I doubt anyone making their maiden speech would not seek some guidance - in Mhairi Black's case I suspect she would almost certainly have been offered assistance. That's not because she wasn't capable but because the SNP leadership allegedly want a tight rein on their MPs and they know that she is high profile - I know that there are some who would happily see her fall flat on her face - so she passed that first hurdle. There were also key phrases that look like they had been put in from someone else, especially the "I feel that it is the Labour Party that left me, not the other way about" - not that original considering it was used by Jimmy Reid. Personally, I've not a problem with that - some of the greatest speeches ever made have had some external input or plagiarised others - I know that if it was me I certainly would seek advice and at the very least ask someone to listen to my speech before delivering it - only an idiot or someone with a huge ego would do otherwise.

That all being said, a speech is a speech, words are words - Ms Black knows herself that what she does is what matters. Above all, I sincerely hope that she keeps her feet on the ground (she seems to have done so far), listens to advice and takes on board constructive criticism. If she does I am sure she will go a long way.

You could have saved all that typing by just saying "I am very bitter but I am begrudgingly prepared to admit she did alright".

Archived