Mhairi Black appreciation thread

Mr Bairn

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Undoubtedly, the speech had to be good or she was in trouble. A lot of people have put a lot of hope in her. An early failure would have been hard to pull back.

I wish her well, she is young and hopefully has it within her to achieve some of the potential many have clearly seen in her.

Her time for action has arrived.

Really? Care to elaborate?

I would reckon that a 20yo would've been given some leeway and a chance to get used to things. As it happened, she bossed the auld farts down there.

As you seem to be an authority on the standings of maiden speeches, what do think of Kezia Dugdales at Holyrood a few years back?

Why do you always look for arguments? Is there something missing in your life?

'scrambling away' can you not converse like an adult?

I don't, disagreeing with you just happens to always be the most rational option. Yes, the idea of having everything in your life is ludicrous.

Yes, I can not converse like an adult.

Undoubtedly, the speech had to be good or she was in trouble. A lot of people have put a lot of hope in her. An early failure would have been hard to pull back.

I wish her well, she is young and hopefully has it within her to achieve some of the potential many have clearly seen in her.

It was a Maiden speech,not a penalty shoot out.

You must remember that the X factor thing was just your analogy and that parliamentary speeches and talent show auditions aren't actually the same thing.

This is all a bit over dramatic.

She's an MP, not US President. She'll be judged on whether she speaks well when given the chance, has a good voting record and is seen to be hardworking by constituents. If her speech -which wasn't some hugely anticipated event, there were f**k all people there - was anything less than excellent, barely anyone would've even seen it.

Missed the point as usual.

I was assuming the point to be that the speech had to be good or she was in trouble. I got that from the "the speech had to be good or she was in trouble" bit. Apologies if I've misconstrued this situation terribly and thought you were talking complete bollocks when you weren't.

How many maiden speeches did you hear about on the news in 2010? Id never even heard of a "maiden speech" until this year.

I watched it and thought it was OK. No better than that.

I haven't seen any of the other maiden speeches, but can only assume they were awful as this is getting so much praise.

How you know Labour are fucked for at least a generation: none of their toadies can bear to say anything nice about something so blatantly popular. The Bain Principle remains. People are right in that we'd have far less bother with these lickspittles if Sturgeon simply announced to the papers that she approved of breathing oxygen.

Both are judged by the public in terms of votes. If she tries to coast on being the plucky young lass she will be found out. But you knew what I meant.

Actually I genuinely didn't know what you meant and given your ranting, stream of consciousness, prose style I'm probably not alone.

Not that there's anything intrinsically wrong with that style. This is after all as much a thread for critical analysis of a performance as actual objective political reasoned argument and as reaction to a performance is subjective your abandonment of convention and reason is appropriate.

Oscar Wilde once opined that all literary criticism is principally autobiography as it tells you about the writers reaction to the work as opposed to the work itself. Your contributions to this thread have taken the logic of Wilde's maxim and run with it.

People who dismiss you as an idiot because your posts are apparent nonsense are missing the point. Those posts aren't there to tell us about Miss Black they're telling us about you. And viewed in that light they're wonderfully expressive.

Well done

Actually I genuinely didn't know what you meant and given your ranting, stream of consciousness, prose style I'm probably not alone.

Not that there's anything intrinsically wrong with that style. This is after all as much a thread for critical analysis of a performance as actual objective political reasoned argument and as reaction to a performance is subjective your abandonment of convention and reason is appropriate.

Oscar Wilde once opined that all literary criticism is principally autobiography as it tells you about the writers reaction as opposed to the work itself. Your contributions to this thread have taken the logic of Wilde's maxim and run with it.

People who dismiss you as an idiot because your posts are apparent nonsense are missing the point. Those posts aren't there to tell us about Miss Black they're telling us about you. And viewed in that light they're wonderfully expressive.

Well done

Well worded but appears to reach the same conclusion as those that just deem him to be an idiot.

Archived