Mhairi Black appreciation thread

Mr Bairn

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. They are the opposition, governments tend not to do everything they ask.

Quite. In normal circumstances. Let's not forget though that the leading luminaries in BetterTogether told us we would have "as near to home rule as it's possible to have" whilst Dishface himself said that "any and all options are open for giving Scotland furher powers".

With that in mind, do you think that it's acceptable to give us a watered down Smith Commission with no amendments being allowed at all?

We don't.

I would assume it's because the people in the individual constituencies think of themselves in a collective sense as England, with common cause and are now aggrieved at perceived asymmetries in how they govern themselves with respect to that other collective set of constituencies self identifying as Scotland.

I would assume it's because the people in the individual constituencies think of themselves in a collective sense as England, with common cause and are now aggrieved at perceived asymmetries in how they govern themselves with respect to that other collective set of constituencies self identifying as Scotland.

No, it's because of the Scottish Parliament, with devolved powers on matters reserved to them only and no equivalent down south.

Plus it's only the Tories that want EVEL. Labour don't, and they represent hundreds of constituencies in England. It's not an "England" thing being pushed for by English people.

No, it's because of the Scottish Parliament, with devolved powers on matters reserved to them only and no equivalent down south.

Plus it's only the Tories that want EVEL. Labour don't, and they represent hundreds of constituencies in England. It's not an "England" thing being pushed for by English people.

It's not true to suggest that those hundreds of Labour constituencies are happy with the status quo though, It's just that Labour don't think the solution is EVEL as proposed.

It's a reasonably old poll and I'm not sure if there are more recent but:

http://www.comres.co.uk/polls/itv-news-evel-poll/

"As William Hague announced his proposals for “English votes for English laws" a new ComRes / ITV News poll found that around half of Britons (53%) support not allowing Scottish MPs in Westminster to vote on issues that do not impact on Scotland. Just a quarter oppose the idea (23%).

The poll also found that two in five Britons (40%) support setting up an English parliament for only English MPs, while three in ten (30%) oppose it.

There is also some backing for giving more decision making powers on issues such as tax, education, policing to big cities and regions in England and Wales, although support has fallen four percentage points since October to 44% while 26% oppose it.

While support for Wales holding a referendum on independence has risen five points to 28% since September 2014, more people remain opposed to the idea (39%)."

In that sense there does seem to be some evidence to suggest that it might be an 'England thing'.

Nothing apart from your opening line.

2luuqhe.jpg How are you still not getting this?

I see you failed to address my point In claiming a victory for something they had little to do with.

You brought up the word "victory" (probably once you sensed that you'd made a c**t of it). The SNP were taking flak for their 56 votes being meaningless against a majority Tory government. Literally a day or so later, the Tories shelf a key pledge because it's about to be voted down. It's pretty Bad Luck Brian stuff, really.

This girl thoroughly disgust me I am an older man in my 60s and I think it's terrible that an insolent child has been given the responsibility of taking charge of a whole constituency what was Scotland thinking voting for her maybe if she was in her 30s and had more life experience but absolutely shocking giving that much responsibility to a child but each to their own eh!?

Archived