Mhairi Black appreciation thread

Mr Bairn

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me tell you something . No tooth fairy & no magic money tree .

I don't think anyone of an SNP/ Yes persuasion is under any illusions in that respect.

What IS certain however, is that there are at least 134 different ways the Conservatives can look to reduce spending before pushing vulnerable people closer to the edge of the precipice.

Funny how the developed countries that didn't practice austerity and actually increased spending, got to pre recession levels a lot quicker.

Those countries were ran prudently with largely sustainable income and expenditure . Uk , ireland and others ran bubbles . I want a sustainable society not one based on sand and non sustainable promises .

Those countries were ran prudently with largely sustainable income and expenditure . Uk , ireland and others ran bubbles . I want a sustainable society not one based on sand and non sustainable promises .

That can only be done by growth. Not imaginary growth but good growth spawned by wise investment. Austerity harms meaningful growth.

As for sustainable society. Any society that's happy to throw the bottom 10% to the dogs is no society at all.

That can only be done by growth. Not imaginary growth but good growth spawned by wise investment. Austerity harms meaningful growth.

As for sustainable society. Any society that's happy to throw the bottom 10% to the dogs is no society at all.

Completely agree.

What is galling is when people, including those who know better, talk about 'the economy' in the same way as they talk about the weather; as if it is a natural force over which societies have no control. We have a great deal of control over how to organise our economies, we just need the political will to exercise that control.

We are rapidly returning to dogmatic politics where economic theory is used as a tool to meet specific political objectives regardless of the effectiveness of the policies and the long term societal damage.

Anyone who doesn't see how the Tories are using the financial difficulties over the last few years to hammer the poor and restructure the economy to benefit the better off is quite frankly a moron. The type of person who thinks using the phrase 'economically illiterate' makes them sound clever because they've heard a hundred other people use the phrase.

No one wants "austerity " but we can't keep borrowing and borrowing . Sorrow to rain on the groupthink here.

As I said before, not "borrowing and borrowing" is working out just super for Gideon. Since 2010, national debt has DOUBLED from over £700bn to £1.5 trillion. Do you realise how much IDS and his sadistic chums stand to "save" from welfare reform? I'll give you a hint - it's a fucking drop in the ocean compared to unpaid corporate tax.

Iceland benefited from not baling out the private sector. They did see a dramatic fall in living standards though.

I think that was inevitable. No one in their right mind could say that things wouldn't get worse in the situation there was. However Iceland as I see it was an example of 'All being in it together'. The point is the recovery has worked and has not been done in the disgraceful way it is being done here.

I think that was inevitable. No one in their right mind could say that things wouldn't get worse in the situation there was. However Iceland as I see it was an example of 'All being in it together'. The point is the recovery has worked and has not been done in the disgraceful way it is being done here.

Pity the UK and EU didn't go down the same path.

Pity the UK and EU didn't go down the same path.

With the UK austerity is entirely ideological. It wouldn't matter if you could demonstrate to the Tories that they could save money by stopping austerity. They want to reform welfare and take away from poor people and they'll find any excuse they can to do so. They're basically out-Thatchering Thatcher.

With the UK austerity is entirely ideological. It wouldn't matter if you could demonstrate to the Tories that they could save money by stopping austerity. They want to reform welfare and take away from poor people and they'll find any excuse they can to do so. They're basically out-Thatchering Thatcher.

I was refrerring to the other side of the issue - private debt. If the UK, US & EU did not bail out the financial sector then we would probably have had the short sharp pain endured by Iceland and in doing so setting a new standard of living base rather than the continued errosion that we have experienced over 7 years.

Archived