EU Referendum

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/may/24/eu-young-people-vote-referendum?CMP=share_btn_tw

Maybe the snp can exlain why they bang on about the voting age but never even tabled a amendment after the 2nd reading to allow 16/17 to vote.

This from the inclusive UK government.

I reject, too, the suggestion that EU citizens living in the UK should be included. The referendum is about delivering a pledge to the British people to consult them about the future of their country. It would be a travesty to seek to include EU nationals whose interests might be very different from those of the British people.

Caroline Lucas (Brighton, Pavilion) (Green):

I want to press the Foreign Secretary again on the question of extending the franchise to 16 and 17-year-olds. The answer he gave about why we should not do it—because it is an issue of national importance—is the main reason he should do it. He said that he did not want to deviate from the franchise for Westminster, but he is already doing that by extending it to peers. Why not let young people have a say on their future, which is what this Bill is about?

Mr Hammond:

My personal view on the extension of the franchise is that we would be better expending our efforts on trying to get a decent turnout rate among 18 to 24-year-olds before we start worrying about 16 and 17-year-olds.

So there you have it. The fact that not enough 18-24yr olds vote is reason to exclude 16-17.

NO answer to the change in franchise to include peers????

That's utterly pathetic reasoning from Hammond.

If that's his reasoning, he should have called for a ban on all Scotland-based English people from voting in last year's referendum.

Salmond takes a pop at the Lords being included:

The franchise to be used is not the general election franchise, because Members of the House of Lords are to be empowered to vote. I know that Conservative Members are frightfully worried about the idea of prisoners being accorded the right to vote because of the European convention, but there are six ex-prisoners in the House of Lords who will be enfranchised by the Foreign Secretary’s proposals. The Foreign Secretary says, “Of course Members of the House of Lords should be able to vote. However, this is an advisory, not a binding, referendum. The House of Lords will have its say on whether a proposal is enacted after the referendum.” However, the Government cannot say that it is to be a general election franchise and then start to change the franchise.

Wait - did you not predict something similar about the recent election?

He thought 55:45 was a landslide for BT in the independence campaign. So "landslide" going by H_B's definition is a relative term. I think the likelihood is the Yes campaign will win, but by a narrower margin than what the recent referendum was.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/may/24/eu-young-people-vote-referendum?CMP=share_btn_tw

Maybe the snp can exlain why they bang on about the voting age but never even tabled a amendment after the 2nd reading to allow 16/17 to vote.

Maybe but I guess that they will point out that the amendment that they proposed would, if passed, have sunk the whole bill.

. I think the likelihood is the Yes campaign will win, but by a narrower margin than what the recent referendum was.

Then, as with most things, you think wrong.

The margin of victory for "Stay" here will be way way higher then the cocking No dished out to Yes in the SI referendum.

Absolutely disgraceful stuff from Hammond incidentally... he has overtaken Jeremy Hunt as the most dislikeable Tory.

Then, as with most things, you think wrong.

The margin of victory for "Stay" here will be way way higher then the cocking No dished out to Yes in the SI referendum.

Absolutely disgraceful stuff from Hammond incidentally... he has overtaken Jeremy Hunt as the most dislikeable Tory.

That takes some doing too.

I'm still firmly in the 'don't know' camp on this. I like a bit of anarchy, so might vote to leave for the shits and giggles.

Probably the first thing we have agreed on for a while. Although I am not sure how much is his own doing especially in regards to the franchise.

Hammond is a massive p***k, but it's hard to call him the most dislikeable Tory when that party has Theresa May, David Davis and Michael fucking Gove in their ranks.

I'll raise you Ian Duncan Smith, Gideon Osborne and John Redwood.

Theresa May has a majority of just over 29000. Only the SNP can overturn a majority like that. Need to get them down to maidenhead next election

Archived