EU Referendum

They settled on the language of their overlords, as we did. I'm a bit surprised that you aren't lamenting the destruction of the original inhabitants' languages and way of life in America, being so concerned about the effects of immigration.

Surely if there's one thing that history has taught us, it's that foreigners benefit from a bit of Britain right up them, even if it kills them.

Is, one would assume, close to the answer.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One common European language wouldn't necessarily cultivate unity. Common dialect has not historically promoted peace between peoples with differing ideologies, look at Rwanda.

Look no further than central Scotland.

They settled on the language of their overlords, as we did. I'm a bit surprised that you aren't lamenting the destruction of the original inhabitants' languages and way of life in America, being so concerned about the effects of immigration.

You seem a bit put out by writing in the language of your overlords. As far as I know or care the original languages may still be thriving, like Gaelic. Circa 1492, Europeans who crossed the sea, disembark on land unsettled by Europeans, find a suitable place, and begin to build with the intention of staying are somewhat different from today's immigration.

You seem a bit put out by writing in the language of your overlords. As far as I know or care the original languages may still be thriving, like Gaelic. Circa 1492, Europeans who crossed the sea, disembark on land unsettled by Europeans, find a suitable place, and begin to build with the intention of staying are somewhat different from today's immigration.

And you accuse others of talking utter pish. :unsure2:

Go on then, I'll entertain you. What's the difference between the immigrants of the 16-19th century and today, except today those who immigrate do not land grab as much.

People fleeing from economic hardship and political/religious persecution in Africa/Middle East Europe to start a new life in Europe America? Aye, absolutely no comparison.

Go on then, I'll entertain you. What's the difference between the immigrants of the 16-19th century and today, except today those who immigrate do not land grab as much.

1492 is the 15th century. The word “immigration” was first used circa 1623. So the settlers of 1492 probably didn’t even know they were emigrating even though the Indo-European languages probably had a word for it.
Incidentally you seem to be assenting that it is ok for today’s immigrants to grab land, but not for the first settlers of the Americas. Is that correct?

1492 is the 15th century. The word “immigration” was first used circa 1623. So the settlers of 1492 probably didn’t even know they were emigrating even though the Indo-European languages probably had a word for it.
Incidentally you seem to be assenting that it is ok for today’s immigrants to grab land, but not for the first settlers of the Americas. Is that correct?

You seem to be suggesting that the original inhabitants of America whose land was taken by the settlers weren't human.

You seem to be suggesting that the original inhabitants of America whose land was taken by the settlers weren't human.

Yes I can see how You could come to that fallacious conclusion!!!

People fleeing persecution or looking to make a better life for themselves economically undertake a dangerous journey to a land that is not their own in a different continent. Seems pretty comparable to me.

Whether or not they describe what they were/are doing as immigration is immaterial

Show on Ch 5 last night, following family of Roma with eleven kids as they move from Romania to Britain to live off our benefits. Aw, cute eh. I only managed 20 minutes as my blood pressure couldn't take the full hour. Is this what my grandad fought in both world wars for? The old boy died in 1986 and voted Labour all his life but I think his generation and their sacrifice have been betrayed. The welfare state he fought for should be for British people in need (Scots/Welsh/English..) not these parasites. No doubt most here think otherwise. Tragic.

Show on Ch 5 last night, following family of Roma with eleven kids as they move from Romania to Britain to live off our benefits. Aw, cute eh. I only managed 20 minutes as my blood pressure couldn't take the full hour. Is this what my grandad fought in both world wars for? The old boy died in 1986 and voted Labour all his life but I think his generation and their sacrifice have been betrayed. The welfare state he fought for should be for British people in need (Scots/Welsh/English..) not these parasites. No doubt most here think otherwise. Tragic.

f**k off, c**t.

Your grandad was probably a c**t as well.

Agreeing with a satirical alias :lol:

Edit: and then deleting your humiliating post about "leftards" afterwards :lol:

Anyone remember the username of that masked Hibs fan, just for posterity's sake?

Fab isnt it?And yet brits claim more overseas,kick them out and bring them home

Hate to inject some facts into this argument yet again, but lest we forget;

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/19/-sp-thousands-britons-claim-benefits-eu

"The findings highlight a more nuanced and complex picture across Europe than the simplistic version painted by anti-immigration and anti-EU campaigners led by Ukip and elements in the Conservative party."

Utterly shocked at that tbh.

Archived