EU Referendum

It will be a fair representation and reflection of what we will have had to endure in the lead up to the ref from both sides of the argument, and none of us will be none the f*ckin wiser, so I think that's a fair approach !!

Not sure if serious

Anyone who wasn't any the wiser after indy ref was either not looking hard enough or so set in their ways that they had their 'La-La-La' hat on.

The referendum was a political awakening for a country that will benefit it in the long run.

I expect to be very well educated about the EU over the next year or so. I just don't give a shit about it...in much the same way as I know plenty about dead football teams in Glasgow, I just don't really give a shit about them.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a more than fair comment.

It's not a fair comment at all. The anger and paranoia about the named person is baffling. To bring that paranoia into the debate about 16 or 17 year olds voting is just an attempt at political point scoring.

DeeTillEhDeh was the official cock and balls man for the indy ref, I hereby put forward my nomination to be P and B's official cock and balls man for the EU ref.

Except that DTED was a) a No voter, and b) a drooling simpleton. People who think a failure to make a decision is some kind of virtue should seek counselling.

Except that DTED was a) a No voter, and b) a drooling simpleton. People who think a failure to make a decision is some kind of virtue should seek counselling.

This is Pie and Bovril. Virtue doesn't come into it.

Not sure if serious

Anyone who wasn't any the wiser after indy ref was either not looking hard enough or so set in their ways that they had their 'La-La-La' hat on.

The referendum was a political awakening for a country that will benefit it in the long run.

I expect to be very well educated about the EU over the next year or so. I just don't give a shit about it...in much the same way as I know plenty about dead football teams in Glasgow, I just don't really give a shit about them.

Couldn't agree more with the above. Have yourself a Charles.

Not sure if serious

Of course there's a third alternative. Folk just don't care too much. I'm not extoling that as a virtue, just making an observation.

People who post on this thread are, by definition, politically aware and engaged. Let's not kid ourselves on that this reflects the majority thinking.

We can't ignore how enlightening a political process the Referendum was; the size of the turnout alone is testement to that. The fact that the voting level in Scotland at the recent GE was significantly higher shows that there a legacy to this too.

However many folk would have been engaged on a fairly superficial level. Most folk don't get too involved in discussing/thinking about politics on a day-to-day basis. I'm not sure the debates on issues such as ECHR or EU membership will have the same impact; if people are less engaged they will not be so well informed. The worry being that the basis for decisions may be flawed and based on xenophobia or Briish nationalism.

Latest YouGov polls on EU membership:

Great Britain Yes: 55% No: 45%

Scotland Yes: 68% No: 32%

As angus robertson was told on sky news just now there will not be a quadruple lock in place for the eu vote,its a vote for the Uk to leave he was told,happy he was not.

Of course there's a third alternative. Folk just don't care too much. I'm not extoling that as a virtue, just making an observation.

People who post on this thread are, by definition, politically aware and engaged. Let's not kid ourselves on that this reflects the majority thinking.

We can't ignore how enlightening a political process the Referendum was; the size of the turnout alone is testement to that. The fact that the voting level in Scotland at the recent GE was significantly higher shows that there a legacy to this too.

However many folk would have been engaged on a fairly superficial level. Most folk don't get too involved in discussing/thinking about politics on a day-to-day basis. I'm not sure the debates on issues such as ECHR or EU membership will have the same impact; if people are less engaged they will not be so well informed. The worry being that the basis for decisions may be flawed and based on xenophobia or Briish nationalism.

Agree with all of that.

I would add about the legacy, yes most folk take a passing interest, this will probably always be the case, but the amount of people who are willing to stand up and fight for their cause (on all sides) has dramatically increased, and hence more people will be hearing from people like ourselves who are more actively involved. As time goes on the interest can only increase. There are plenty of non political(party) meetings and organisations out there that are keeping the discussion alive.

I know a few folk who are becoming active in their community councils down here. Can't speak for everywhere but I would hope plenty of folks around the country are taking an interest in this under utilised arm of local democracy. Things like this need to be made to work for the people, by the people.

My work for example, most folk know what I do and to the extent that I do it, and it amazes me the people that come and have a conversation with you about politics. People who I would have least expected to ever have a political discussion.

Even on the doorsteps during the election I was amazed at how many people would actually try and make discussion with you as oppose to getting you off of their doorstep as quickly as possible. And this was from people of all persuasions.

It is healthy that as a country we can have this debate and hopefully it will lead to a better nation, whether that nation be part of the UK or not.(I sincerely hope one day it will be not, but until that day...)

I'm sure plenty of folks will be out for their cause in the forthcoming referendum. Just not me this time. Holyrood and then the LA elections the year after will be my sole concerns.

As angus robertson was told on sky news just now there will not be a quadruple lock in place for the eu vote,its a vote for the Uk to leave he was told,happy he was not.

Neither will you be when that triggers indyref2

:1eye

However many folk would have been engaged on a fairly superficial level...<snip>

I agree. There were lots of people I encountered during the referendum who made lots of noise about being "engaged" but when chatting to them it became very clear that their engagement had got about as far as picking a side and then parroting propaganda without actually bothering to critically evaluate it for themselves.

I know loads of people who seemed to think that blindly repeating everything from Wings Over Scotland or sharing posts from Better Together's Facebook page was "engaging". There's been a lot of talk about a rise in political engagement but I think what is closer to the truth is that a lot more people care now but that hasn't yet translated into full on engagement in the sense of critical thinking and independent thought.

It was much the same during the recent election---spoke to friends of mine who were voting SNP and they weren't able to give much reason beyond "I like Nicola" or some vague notion of "want a stronger Scotland". No comprehension or understanding of the fact that Sturgeon wasn't standing during the election or what actual policies the SNP had in their manifesto, let alone any idea of the SNP's own record on things like education or health. Before the yellow-ribbon wearing fanboys jump on me for saying that the "Ah voted Labour and ah always huv" crowd are no better. Too many people in the United Kingdom base their vote on habit or because of the cult of personality surrounding the party leaders. I look forward to the day when we get beyond that.

The question on the ballot paper will be ""Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union?". So the "In" campaign will be able to brand themselves as the "Yes" campaign.

The interesting thing here is how the financial crisis has affected the whole area of politics. The last comparable crash in the 1920s has similar political ructions. The whole perception of austerity has really changed how we see politics.

How the Greek crisis unfolds may have a huge bearing on the EU.

The interesting thing here is how the financial crisis has affected the whole area of politics. The last comparable crash in the 1920s has similar political ructions. The whole perception of austerity has really changed how we see politics.

How the Greek crisis unfolds may have a huge bearing on the EU.

The whole European landscape is changing. Barcelona have just elected a female mayor who has been arrested at demos and the mayor of Madrid calls herself "an enemy of capitalism".

Scotland are at the forefront of this new political thinking. It's just a pity fucking England still votes Tory.

If the EU goes sharply left, the UK leaves and Scotland and Wales leave the UK imagine how isolated the English Right will be. Surely the mask will fall off the king and Europe (including Scotland and Wales) will be able to say to the English "take a look at your king! Take a good look!"

Cameron is basically getting told he has to absorb 600,000 migrants a year - including all the non EEA trash floating about the Med who will mostly head to Britain once processed through Italy and Greece - and pay them all benefits and meet all social costs - no compromise. I was always a firm no to membership but this snub surely means Cameron has to recommend an exit. The EU is an ugly mess with Greece just the most obvious manifestation of this truth; other southern EU states are teetering on the same precipice and the old Soviet bloc contributes nothing but a constant stream of unskilled migrants and drains subsidy from Brussels. The strongest per capita European nations remain Norway and Switzerland who have no desire to join. The best thing we (Britain) could ever do is leave the useless, undemocratic and corrupt EU. In 2013 the EU cost Britain 11bn Euro NET! We are subsiding these enlargements and backward shitholes with 11bn a year, add in the £12bn foreign aid budget we're paying £20bn a year to other countries for nothing back. I'm UKIP for a damn good reason. We only want a trade agreement, nothing else.

We are, of course, one United Kingdom. This is what Scotland bought in to only a few months ago. We don't have a federalist system of government.

Nicola is simply making mischief or ignoring the well-expressed will of Scottish voters.

And it should be a United decision if we leave the EU, not just 1 of the "family" getting the decision just because it has a bigger population.

Might as well rename the rUK Greater England if you don't believe that

Archived