EU Referendum

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32856698

Why is it a surprise that the bank would be making contingency plans for a Euro exit?

Surely they have to cover all eventualities. No big story for me.

Scandalous signs of competency at a major financial institution IMO. This is not the kind of thing we've come to expect.

Undermined slightly by hilarious individual incompetency, but still :P

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^^

That poll was far closer than I was expecting. I think the Scottish referendum poll was somewhere around 67% in favour of No. Before the campaign kicked off, and clearly they were people who were dead set on voting no right from the beginning. Also, that polls percentages don't add up.

Pity he dodged the point i made,denial perhaps.

No one is going to debate seriously with you due to the gargantuan level of stupidity your every post demonstrates.

Your function here is to be a figure of fun for the rest of us.

^^^^

That poll was far closer than I was expecting. I think the Scottish referendum poll was somewhere around 67% in favour of No. Before the campaign kicked off, and clearly they were people who were dead set on voting no right from the beginning. Also, that polls percentages don't add up.

The last 3% are "Would not vote".

This in/out referendum is about the most stupid notion ever from a British PM (and my God have their been some bad ones). Absolutely no one has any appetite for it aside from a sprinkling of crusty xenophobes

This was knee-jerk politics at its worst from DC and has consigned us to a 2-year debate that no one with half a brain wants to have and where the outcome is known already.

The best thing is for him to show some cajones and say he has changed his mind.

DC will do as he is told the by 1922 and all that. You say a sprinkling of xenophobes enough to scare DC into giving them a referendum we are told that the Indy result should last for a generation the same should be said about the EU in out if we are lucky we may well see a sprinkle of resignations as the xenophobes fail to get the result they want.

It appears that 'migrants' will be barred from voting in the EU referendum according to The Daily Telegraph.

Imagine the stink that would have been kicked up by Westminster if English people living in Scotland were barred from the independence referendum? We might even be negotiating independence right now.

Imagine the stink that would have been kicked up by Westminster if English people living in Scotland were barred from the independence referendum? We might even be negotiating independence right now.

Idiotic post of the day. Why would "Westminster" have kicked up a stink if ,"English people living in Scotland were barred from the independence referendum?" Why wouldn't Scotland's own people have done so?

I am struggling to see this as anything more than small-minded, xenophobic bollocks.

It appears that 'migrants' will be barred from voting in the EU referendum according to The Daily Telegraph.

When you 'migrants' are you talking about people who have voting rights in other types of elections in the UK? I can't envisage a scenario where someone who is entitled to vote in local or national elections could be deprived of their right to vote in a EU referendum.

When you 'migrants' are you talking about people who have voting rights in other types of elections in the UK? I can't envisage a scenario where someone who is entitled to vote in local or national elections could be deprived of their right to vote in a EU referendum.

Sticks in my craw to agree with you....but have a Charles. I can't see his post as anything but bollocks.

This could clearly happen if a Westminster rather than Holyrood style franchise was used. Farage has already been banging on about EU nationals having a vested interest, so that's quite a fair comparison from Todders. Would be unlikely and disgusting if this happens but nothing would surprise me.

Not every English person I spoke to during the referendum was intending to vote No. Yes, there was a section of them who would have voted No out of fear they might be not be able to live in Scotland, but most would have voted No due to likelihood of perceiving themselves as being British. However, in terms of the EU referendum I would argue foreign nationals have a conflict of interest. No chance of a Pole or Romanian voting to leave the EU.

There are different franchises within the UK for different levels of government. It's hardly beyond the realms of possibility for the Westminster government to opt for the Westminster franchise which excludes EU citizens resident in the UK.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/faq/voting-and-registration/who-is-eligible-to-vote-at-a-uk-general-election

If the Scottish Government had even suggested excluding non-Scots living in Scotland from the Indy referendum the howls of "racists" would have been deafening. Of course, it was absolutely proper that everybody living in Scotland got to vote in the referendum and I believe it would be proper to allow everybody resident in the UK to vote on the EU.

There are different franchises within the UK for different levels of government. It's hardly beyond the realms of possibility for the Westminster government to opt for the Westminster franchise which excludes EU citizens resident in the UK.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/faq/voting-and-registration/who-is-eligible-to-vote-at-a-uk-general-election

If the Scottish Government had even suggested excluding non-Scots living in Scotland from the Indy referendum the howls of "racists" would have been deafening. Of course, it was absolutely proper that everybody living in Scotland got to vote in the referendum and I believe it would be proper to allow everybody resident in the UK to vote on the EU.

Every day's a school day. I didn't realise that these different 'franchises' existed. The fact that they do exist is perverse. There is no rational explanation for an EU resident being able to vote in, say, a Holyrood election but not a Westminster one.

The fact that this rule is in place no doubt gives the Tories their 'justification'.

I agree with you on the Referendum issue; everyone living here has the right to vote.

From ITV;

European citizens living in Britain will be barred from voting in the referendum on whether to stay in the EU, it has been announced.

The franchise for referendum, which has been promised by the end of 2017, will be based on that for a general election - meaning Irish, Maltese and Cypriots resident in the UK will get a vote, but other EU citizens will not.

Legislation for the referendum will be introduced to Parliament on Thursday, the day after the Queen's Speech.

Also allowed to vote will be members of the House of Lords, and Commonwealth citizens living here and in Gibraltar, as well as UK nationals who have lived abroad for less than 15 years.

Under local government election rules, as many as 1.5m people from EU countries would have been allowed to vote.

A Number 10 source said: "No Brit under the age of 58 has had their say on the UK's membership of the European Union.

"It is time to put this right and to give people the choice - in or out. This is a big decision for our country, one that is about the future of the United Kingdom. That's why we think it's important that it is British, Irish and Commonwealth citizens that are the ones who get to decide."

Jean-Claude Juncker Credit: REUTERS/Ints Kalnins

Meanwhile, Prime Minister David Cameron will be meeting with European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker at Chequers today, where he will attempt to make his case for EU reform. Mr Cameron will spend the week visiting various European capitals in an attempt to build support for his agenda.

Archived