EU Referendum

I'm going to play devils advocate here

Will the SNP do a labour and climb into bed with the Tories to maintain the UKs position within the EU

Afterall they were none too happy with Labour publicly stating they would not strike a deal if yesterday's events had took a different turn of events, all the while publicly saying they would not work with the Tories....

Discuss

post-41629-14311179582049_thumb.jpg

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:unsure2:

If the SNP do campaign on this, they should campaign on there own. For a start, their contemporaries in Scotland are pretty much all clown car branch offices, so standing shoulder to shoulder with them seems rather pointless. Secondly this kind of pish is what sticks in people's memory, just nae need.

better-together_0.jpg

Having now pumped all around them in Holyrood, Westminster and Euro elections, I trust Scotland's National Party to put forward our position on Europe. The other diddy's can campaign however they like.

What will be interesting is how this will play out if UKIP, without Farage (assuming he stays resigned ), lose support.

They are the main driving force behind an EU referendum and tbh I don't think any of the other parties really want a referendum or to leave the EU. I suppose they have to now it's been promised but it'll be the strangest campaign ever where most folk are on the same side!

What will be interesting is how this will play out if UKIP, without Farage (assuming he stays resigned ), lose support.

They are the main driving force behind an EU referendum and tbh I don't think any of the other parties really want a referendum or to leave the EU. I suppose they have to now it's been promised but it'll be the strangest campaign ever where most folk are on the same side!

Lots of Tory backbenchers and party activists want out of Europe.

Some Tory backbenchers really want the referendum and look at how the UKIP support has spiked they will be leading the charge in England.

Juncker is making a savvy move getting out in front of this and at least hinting that there will be reform. However anything substantial is going to need a Treaty which would require other countries to have referenda. It is going to be a messy process and hard to deliver substantial change.

In the end I think we will stay in partly due to big business interest and economic uncertainty.

As for a referendum where everyone was on the same side the Scottish Devolution referendum was never really a contest with only a token No campaign backed by the conservatives and run by a nobody and hardly any heavyweight politicians putting in serious efforts after being wiped out in the 97 General Election

It'll be a half-hearted 'no' campaign from the Tories, as they have to pay lip service to the element in their support who wish that England's relationship with Europe consisted of a massive flotilla shelling anything that dared leave from the ports at Calais. I doubt even the pro-Europe Conservatives would want to work with the SNP in those circumstances, considering that could only harm the image of Europe in Scotland, and they actually want to stay in (for purely financial reasons, but still).

Despite this, it's unlikely to be anything other than a 'no' vote, unless there's a very low turnout. It's primarily an issue for the South-East, where kids are still taught that the Europeans are an enemy that need to be fought off, and it's becoming more difficult for the tabloids to run with the old 'banana straightening' stories as people realise that they never hear about them again. However, considering the 'no' vote will be notably higher in Scotland, there's always the possibility that our votes could tip the balance, which would play wonderfully down South.

As the turnout for the European Parliament elections is always dreadful, will there be a stipulation that a 'yes' vote is only binding if a certain percentage of the population turns out, I wonder?

I'm looking forward to hearing stories that businesses will flee the UK, lots of uncertainties and how the nation will be on pause due to this referendum,

I'm looking forward to hearing stories that businesses will flee the UK, lots of uncertainties and how the nation will be on pause due to this referendum,

I can't wait to use better together shite to wind up UKIP nutters over that referendum. It will be glorious, the UK has the best of both worlds a strong UK parliament and the safety and security of a larger union. Can't wait.

I can't wait to use better together shite to wind up UKIP nutters over that referendum. It will be glorious, the UK has the best of both worlds a strong UK parliament and the safety and security of a larger union. Can't wait.

Don't forget about embassies, We won't be allowed to use all the EU nations embassies across the world if we leave the EU

Getting rid of terrorists if we wish would be nice, instead of being told about their so called human rights.

What terrorists are you talking about?

The London elections are the same day no? Two strongly pro EU areas I would imagine. Makes sense, but will be a bit rushed.

Hopefully we get the Scottish Parliament franchise and Farage will combust.

:unsure2:

If the SNP do campaign on this, they should campaign on there own. For a start, their contemporaries in Scotland are pretty much all clown car branch offices, so standing shoulder to shoulder with them seems rather pointless. Secondly this kind of pish is what sticks in people's memory, just nae need.

better-together_0.jpg

Having now pumped all around them in Holyrood, Westminster and Euro elections, I trust Scotland's National Party to put forward our position on Europe. The other diddy's can campaign however they like.

Good post.

I'm no sure if I want in or oot.

What I do want is for Scotland tae vote the opposite of England then see where it takes us.

The London elections are the same day no? Two strongly pro EU areas I would imagine. Makes sense, but will be a bit rushed.

Hopefully we get the Scottish Parliament franchise and Farage will combust.

Actually fair point, SP elections are 16+ and it would be a bit of a c**t for the polling staff to have to hand a different number of ballot papers to different electors.

Archived