New Scottish Labour Leader

~~~

Sorry to hear that mate.PM if you want to chat.

You probably have a point though. Their only hope is to fight the election through the media. What the last few campaigns has shown me though is amongst those who vote chapping doors is still one of the most effective things a party can do.

Before the General Election I heard anecdotally that some Labour canvassers were giving up almost immediately after the responses and reactions they were getting door to door.

I imagine the Tory canvassers are probably inured to being told to GTF on doorsteps, but the Labour ones wouldn't have been used to it and probably found a lot of the strength of feeling against them unnerving.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before the General Election I heard anecdotally that some Labour canvassers were giving up almost immediately after the responses and reactions they were getting door to door.

I imagine the Tory canvassers are probably inured to being told to GTF on doorsteps, but the Labour ones wouldn't have been used to it and probably found a lot of the strength of feeling against them unnerving.

Same thing at those recent by-elections in and around Glasgow.

I hope they cried

Getting back to McTernan how can he talk about Dugdale taking charge of the party machine, so she isn't undermined by the hard left, when she effectively only has the status of a local council group leader in a party that appears to be going to be led by a member of the aforementioned hard left? Looks like he is in denial about what is happening around him right now.

Pretty sure I had Dennis Goldie himself at the door. Didn't recognise him at the time, or realise who it was till later. It was the first time he'd been to the door obviously - probably the first time he's been out campaigning personally in twenty-odd years.

To his credit, he was out there on his tod, and at least trying - I know myself that this is not a great area to go around chapping random doors.

He asked if I was voting Labour, and I splaffed on for about two seconds about Eric Joyce and the selection process debacle that Labour had just undergone.

He said: "Yer no a Nationalist are ye?"

I said: "Aye, I am."

That was it. He made no effort to persuade me back to Labour or the Union or anything (it wouldn't have worked anyway) and just said thanks for your time. Then he was off.

Labour activists spent many decades doing their best to ensure that SNP (and Tory) canvassers would receive an openly hostile reception at the doorstep, and were not above using sectarian lies and sickening smears to achieve this, so it's hard to feel much pity for them now.

As ye sow, so shall ye reap.

Scottish labour 'leader' pffft. She will be a branch manager and no more. Will be taking her orders from Westminster. All she can say is pish like 'labour values, social justice, fairness for all' until the UK leader is elected. Scottish labour are a farce and I personally can't f*#king wait to see them obliterated.

Archived