New Party Leaders

Ludo*1

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Labour need to think long and hard. They have to cut the Blairite ties. Farage is a UKIP they are finished without him. The Lib Dems hardly have anyone left.

Labours latest odds:

Chuka Umunna 9/4

Andy Burnham 2/1

Yvette Cooper 3/1

Dan Jarvis 8/1

Tristram Hunt 12/1

Harriet Harmann 16/1

David Miliband 16/1

Lib Dem odds:

Tim Farron 2/7

Norman Lamb 3/1

Alistair Carmichael 12/1

Greg Mulholland 20/1

UKIP odds:

Suzanne Evans 8/15

Douglas Carswell 9/4

Paul Nuttall 9/1

Diane James 10/1

Patrick O'Flynn 10/1

Steven Wolfe 10/1

All odds taken from Bet365 on the oddschecker website.

Labours latest odds:

Kezia Dugdale 4/6

Chuka Umunna 9/4

Andy Burnham 2/1

Yvette Cooper 3/1

Dan Jarvis 8/1

Tristram Hunt 12/1

Harriet Harmann 16/1

David Miliband 16/1

Lib Dem odds:

Tim Farron 2/7

Norman Lamb 3/1

Alistair Carmichael 12/1

Greg Mulholland 20/1

UKIP odds:

Suzanne Evans 8/15

Douglas Carswell 9/4

Paul Nuttall 9/1

Diane James 10/1

Patrick O'Flynn 10/1

Steven Wolfe 10/1

Some surprises in there.

Labours latest odds:

Chuka Umunna 9/4

Andy Burnham 2/1

Yvette Cooper 3/1

Dan Jarvis 8/1

Tristram Hunt 12/1

Harriet Harmann 16/1

David Miliband 16/1

Lib Dem odds:

Tim Farron 2/7

Norman Lamb 3/1

Alistair Carmichael 12/1

Greg Mulholland 20/1

UKIP odds:

Suzanne Evans 8/15

Douglas Carswell 9/4

Paul Nuttall 9/1

Diane James 10/1

Patrick O'Flynn 10/1

Steven Wolfe 10/1

Are they serious or having a laugh?

Kezia Dugdale and David Miliband are not MPs so they are non-starters. Jarvis is inexperienced [edit] and has no power base, especially in the unions. The key question is who will Unite back?

Tim Farron is very popular amongst the activists and should be a shoe-in but Norman Lamb is more able. Tom Brake is another potential candidate.

Nigel Farage said that he will take the summer off and consider standing in the UKIP contest in September. My hunch is that he will stand.

Are they serious or having a laugh?

Kezia Dugdale and David Miliband are not MPs so they are non-starters. Jarvis is experienced and has no power base, especially in the unions. The key question is who will Unite back?

Tim Farron is very popular amongst the activists and should be a shoe-in but Norman Lamb is more able. Tom Brake is another potential candidate.

Nigel Farage said that he will take the summer off and consider standing in the UKIP contest in September. My hunch is that he will stand.

:lol:8)

I've heard the Tories fear Dan Jarvis, but have to say I don't know much about him. You'd think it would end up between Burnham and Umunna. Cooper would be a disaster.

Labours latest odds:

Chuka Umunna 9/4

Andy Burnham 2/1

Yvette Cooper 3/1

Dan Jarvis 8/1

Tristram Hunt 12/1

Harriet Harmann 16/1

David Miliband 16/1

Lib Dem odds:

Tim Farron 2/7

Norman Lamb 3/1

Alistair Carmichael 12/1

Greg Mulholland 20/1

UKIP odds:

Suzanne Evans 8/15

Douglas Carswell 9/4

Paul Nuttall 9/1

Diane James 10/1

Patrick O'Flynn 10/1

Steven Wolfe 10/1

Alastair Carmichael :lol:

Next Prime Minister

David Cameron to resign some time after the EU Referendum. Apparently, he's always been wanting to move on early and the new leader (May, Osborne or Johnson) will be pressuring to get into office to establish a bit of presence ahead of 2020. Hopefully, it turns them to shit and they just end up fighting and hurting each other.

My bet is that George Osborne will manage to out manoeuvre his opponents by going off the governments 'record'.

Next Labour Leader (UK)

This won't come down to beliefs or proper discussion; it'll be a robotic beauty contest (i.e. what do the electorate want to see?)

Labour need someone with a bit of presence and who can really be moulded into the perfect leader that Tony Blair managed to become. The truth is, Blair was popular for a reason and although his name has maybe corrupted, his style is still in demand. Middle England need someone who at least looks and sounds a bit right wing. They don't though want to have a 'Blair V Brown' camp fight as that should be history.

I expect that the Alistair Campbell and Peter Mandelson teams will choose their candidate and try to crush opposition. Of those odds that Ludo has posted:

Chuka Umunna - Too young for now. Big asset though so will be given major position if he plays game.
Andy Burnham - He's got name recognition but no one really knows what he actually thinks on most things (but has been shadow health secretary which is always popular). Got core party support. Think that he'd be a sensible choice and can be made electable given a bit of work.
Yvette Cooper - I just don't see it. She doesn't come across as sharp enough. Too close to Gordon Brown.
Dan Jarvis - Something about this guy just seems like he might be a perfect fit. He's only 42 but has had army experience and led a pretty colourful life. People genuinely respect him and I think he could get the right wing vote out. Inexperienced though but if the party rallied behind him and have him a comfortable path, he could become electable.
Tristram Hunt - Speaks too much. Think he might win the right vote but the problem is, he may piss off the left of the party and inflict damage that may cause internal conflict. Future candidate maybe.
Harriet Harmann - Just no.
David Miliband - No for obvious reasons.

Next Lib Dem Leader (UK)

Tim Farron - Been favourite for a while. Seems to have set himself up to win a leadership election.

Next UKIP Leader (UK)

Suzanne Evans - Wants it and close to Farage.
Douglas Carswell - Think he won't want to burn his bridges with Conservatives.
Paul Nuttall - Wants it. Don't know much about him.
Diane James - Away
Patrick O'Flynn - Doesn't want it.
Steven Wolfe - Don't know enough.

Nigel Farage - If he feels up to it again, he'll likely win.

Archived