Westworld

AsimButtHitsASix

• 1 month later...

Binged this over the last couple of days. After the very underwhelming Season 2 I found this one to be a glorious mess (in a great way). Thrill a minute, unbelievably bonkers and a really interesting take on an idea that feels very relevant (and one that was enough of a departure from the original story to keep it fresh and exciting). It wasn't perfect but it was a complete escape. Great TV to keep the mind off of the actual bad shit that is happening in the world.

• 2 years later...

Just watched first two episodes of Season 4. 

Had to look back at synopsis of episodes of Season 3 to remember who was who (and whose mind occupies which body) before it started to make sense.

Wondering where the Christina/Peter Myles plot is going.

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/07/2022 at 16:54, AyrshireTon said:

Just watched first two episodes of Season 4. 

Had to look back at synopsis of episodes of Season 3 to remember who was who (and whose mind occupies which body) before it started to make sense.

Wondering where the Christina/Peter Myles plot is going.

I've re-binged season 3, and then brought myself right up to date with Season 4.

Feels like it's taken the first 4 episodes to even warm up, but it's good.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope people are still watching this, because it’s fucking incredible. The last 3 or 4 episodes of this season have been as good as anything they’ve produced to this point, IMO. That last bit with Man Who Sold the World playing was such an incredible end to the episode as well.

Almost everything has been tied up narratively, and I can only see this being the final season and therefore next week being the very last episode, which is a bit of a shame because it’s been excellent, but would make perfect sense with the end game feel to the last couple of episodes and the nature of the show overall. Buzzing for it.

The lack of gratuitous nudity this season disappoints me, but other than that, I'm still with it.

Sometimes I think I know what's going on, other times I decide I haven't a clue.  But I think continued use of mixed timelines early on (as in previous seasons) contributed to this.

Maeve still my favourite character, hope she's full badass in the last episode.

Could be wrong, but think where we've essentially got to is:

Maeve wanted revenge, to end the war and to live happily everafter with her daughter;

Caleb wants revenge, to end the war and to live happily everafter with his daughter;

Bernard wanted sweet, sweet peace for all and sacrificed himself like an absolute tap boi;

Teddy wants to start pumping Dolores again;

Christina / Dolores wants to know who the f**k she is;

Hale wanted to do some genocide on the humans and evolve the hosts; and

William wants to play, and by play, I mean watch the entire world burn while everyone murders each other until the last creature is standing in a glorious bloodbath of carnage. [spoiler/]

Host William talking with cryogenically kept real William was absolutely tremendous viewing. No idea how it's going to go, but my guess is a final showdown between Christina / Dolores and William to bring us full circle. Not a scooby who 'wins'.

On 10/08/2022 at 21:22, UpInTheAyr said:

Anyone else at a complete fucking loss as to what's going on in this show. I've watched all episodes so far and I've literally no idea what's happened/is happening since the end of season 1.

Me. I still like it but I have to listen to a podcast every week to recap the episode and fill in the blanks 

After watching the show half asleep this morning before work, have they just looped the whole show? So after that episode you can go back to the start and the show will just continually repeat itself?  I was thinking that would be a clever way to end if they didn't get the season five greenlit.  However I will watch again tomorrow when not half asleep.

Despite not understanding the narrative at times due to the non linear style of it, I am just gripped by the whole show.  The stride piano playing of Radiohead throughout the show is the most joyous Radiohead's ever sounded.

8 hours ago, Loki said:
Spoiler

I was spent the entire show getting to a point where I thought "Good, they're wrapping everything up so that it all ends here", then there was the last bit that leads to S5 (or at least leaves it as a possibilty).

Although all that's left is AI in the Sublime, is there not, so it's just them in the ether.  

All of the above is written on the basis that I don't think I fully understand what's going on - I've spent this entire season veering from felling like I'm getting it at last to confusion and back again.  IE - I took last night as Hale and Dolores being at odds of purpose (at least initially), but I thought 'Hale' was actually 1 of the copies of Dolores, so surely they think alike?  Or is this just further proof that I haven't a clue what is actually going on?