Brora Rangers v Montrose, Play Off 1st Leg

Surely Brora knew they would win the HL and therefore be in the play off's, yet let half their team away on holiday?

McKeown (holiday), Houston (best mates wedding), Williamson (broken collar bone), Morrison (suspended), Tokely (working in Angola), Graham (went to Oz),

Really don't know what Brora could have done.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McKeown (holiday), Houston (best mates wedding), Williamson (broken collar bone), Morrison (suspended), Tokely (working in Angola), Graham (went to Oz),

Really don't know what Brora could have done.

probably told McKeown not to book a holiday

Er, didn't Nairn pap your lot out a couple of years ago?

Nairn (not the strongest HL team by any means) have beaten Clyde and ran Forfar very close after a replay. Forres only lost 0-1 to R*ngers and Formartine got through two rounds of the Challenge Cup.

Your other point is mince too - the money on offer at some teams is at least as good as they'll get at Elgin. (who have totally underachieved since getting in the league).

Against a very shit Clyde team to be fair

probably told McKeown not to book a holiday

a broken collar bone and working in Angola can't be planned for. The rest of the tame lamentable calls off and excuses including earlier ones could have been. To have just one sub on the bench tells its own story. Even a die hard like me is beginning to believe there is a bit of traction in the conspiracy theory. When Kirkwood moves on, no doubt the truth will emerge.

a broken collar bone and working in Angola can't be planned for. The rest of the tame lamentable calls off and excuses including earlier ones could have been. To have just one sub on the bench tells its own story. Even a die hard like me is beginning to believe there is a bit of traction in the conspiracy theory. When Kirkwood moves on, no doubt the truth will emerge.

agree with that but the holiday one and the wedding one are a bit of a joke. Clubs biggest game ever and a player picks his pals wedding over it.

agree with that but the holiday one and the wedding one are a bit of a joke. Clubs biggest game ever and a player picks his pals wedding over it.

For 2nd leg v Edinburgh City they'd someone (EDIT: Zander Sutherland) missing on a stag trip to Hamburg and another (Grant Munro) at his parents 40th wedding anniversary party instead.

I don't buy the 'conspiracy theory' though. Maybe Brora originally thought they could just avoid participating? Or the players didn't care?

For 2nd leg v Edinburgh City they'd someone (EDIT: Zander Sutherland) missing on a stag trip to Hamburg and another (Grant Munro) at his parents 40th wedding anniversary party instead.

I don't buy the 'conspiracy theory' though. Maybe Brora originally thought they could just avoid participating? Or the players didn't care?

they've not exactly done anything to dispel the theory that they didn't want to come up.

Picking playing football over his best mates wedding?

It's one of those decisions that fans will make with ease, should've done this or that, made a commitment to the club. However back in the real world you go to your mates wedding.

As for the holiday, that maybe could have been better planned but the then maybe this is the only time he could get away, again in the real world some things are more important than the football.

they've not exactly done anything to dispel the theory that they didn't want to come up.

especially last weekend when the ball bobbled on the turf just as Zander was about to burst the net they worked on that at training.

Picking playing football over his best mates wedding?

It's one of those decisions that fans will make with ease, should've done this or that, made a commitment to the club. However back in the real world you go to your mates wedding.

As for the holiday, that maybe could have been better planned but the then maybe this is the only time he could get away, again in the real world some things are more important than the football.

you'd think the board and management would perhaps be able to convince him considering it is a HUGE game. Obviously not though.

you'd think the board and management would perhaps be able to convince him considering it is a HUGE game. Obviously not though.

Aye but a wedding is a pretty big thing, especially a best mates one

Sometimes football takes a back seat, can understand that one

The rest just seem like piss poor planning though.

Any more goss? :)

The pyramid isn't designed for the likes of Brora, Wick, Fort William or Strathspey Thistle even. Or teams from darkest Dumfrieshire/Galloway.

It's meant for teams from Aberdeenshire/Edinburgh - Glasgow corridor.

Eventually some one will come through from these areas and probably cope quite comfortably in SPFL 2, perhaps making SPFL 1. I think we need to give it 5 or 10 years, and then review it.(If necessary).

Possibly Brora were just the wrong team, it's hardly big enough to be called a town and probably already compete with Ross County for support of a Saturday.

I think Wick would give the SPFL more geographic coverage, and Wick incl. wider Caithness could surely support a league team, so hopefully they can challenge.

Central belt clubs moaning about the travel is all well and good, but Wick would need to be committed to do that every second week - 80% of their HL fixtures are a long slog.

I think Formartine would be another Brora - they come from a village of 600 but are bankrolled. Cove just don't have the feeling/ support a second club from Aberdeen should have due to their horrible surname.

Of the other HL clubs, Inverurie, Fraserburgh and Buckie would have the most potential in terms of town size/ support.

Buckie aren't interested in coming up, I am pretty sure. Broch have a good support but again don't think they would have the £ to compete in the SPFL. Locos, possibly.

Formartine, Turriff, Cove are all desperate to come up. I think Cove are pretty much ruled out until they sort out the ground issues, though. I would also like to see Wick in the league one day, it's a decent town and as you say potential fanbase is huge.

I would however expect a re-build from Brora in the summer and for them to have another crack next year.

Possibly Brora were just the wrong team, it's hardly big enough to be called a town and probably already compete with Ross County for support of a Saturday.

I think Wick would give the SPFL more geographic coverage, and Wick incl. wider Caithness could surely support a league team, so hopefully they can challenge.

Central belt clubs moaning about the travel is all well and good, but Wick would need to be committed to do that every second week - 80% of their HL fixtures are a long slog.

I think Formartine would be another Brora - they come from a village of 600 but are bankrolled. Cove just don't have the feeling/ support a second club from Aberdeen should have due to their horrible surname.

Of the other HL clubs, Inverurie, Fraserburgh and Buckie would have the most potential in terms of town size/ support.

i'm not saying Wick couldn't do it, I'm just saying the pyramid wasn't created with the likes of them in mind.

All this mewling about travelling past the Artic circle has only come about since the elevation of ICt, ross county, Elgin & Peterhead, and crossing the Antartic to vist Annan. the thought of another Highland team in the SPFL brought on a dose of the vapours.

As you say the likes of Wick, Brora & Fort William already travel considerable distances to fulfil their fixtures.

Scotland's population is badly distributed to maintain 42 teams in the national divisions, in my opinion, which is why we have a Highland League and a South of Scotland League, not sure what the rationale was behind the East of Scotland league - Scotland is nearly as "long" as England, but the vast bulk of the population is squeezed into the Central Beltish region.

Archived