Brora Rangers v Montrose, Play Off 1st Leg

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lads, lads, all this "going along to support a fellow Angus team" undermines the argument for having Arbroath, Brechin City, Forfar Athletic and Montrose in the league, instead of an Angus United as is mooted by our friends from the central belt whenever reduction of the number of league clubs is being discussed.

Mind you, if I were still living in Aberdeen, I might have considered going myself, I still have relatives living in Montrose. (Complete non sequitur, but there you are.)

Lads, lads, all this "going along to support a fellow Angus team" undermines the argument for having Arbroath, Brechin City, Forfar Athletic and Montrose in the league, instead of an Angus United as is mooted by our friends from the central belt whenever reduction of the number of league clubs is being discussed.

Mind you, if I were still living in Aberdeen, I might have considered going myself, I still have relatives living in Montrose. (Complete non sequitur, but there you are.)

I'm just going along to support a team that need all the support they can and to watch a game of football I'm not saying I'm going to change from a brechin supporter to a Montrose one. An Angus United team isn't a great idea where would they play ? that's like saying Dundee,United and st Johnstone should make a Tayside United team or Rangers and Celtic making a Glasgow untied team it just wouldn't work

I'm just going along to support a team that need all the support they can and to watch a game of football I'm not saying I'm going to change from a brechin supporter to a Montrose one. An Angus United team isn't a great idea where would they play ? that's like saying Dundee,United and st Johnstone should make a Tayside United team or Rangers and Celtic making a Glasgow untied team it just wouldn't work

:lol: (Sarcasm doesn't travel well, does it?)

Dont say things like that. VikingTon may rear his ugly head and start to rant about the 4 Angus Teams.

Surely Montrose can attract a crowd of 3000 for one of their most important games in their history ?

If this match can't pull a crowd of 3000, then it might suggest that a significant number of people in Montrose have no real interest in the club ?

This is match which could see Montrose being relegated to the Highland League - if this can't pull a crowd,then it is indeed worrying times for Montrose fans.

There will be a decent amount of Arbroath fans at this match , Forfar have their own play offs, so doubt if anyone from Forfar will be making the short trip.

When did a game involving a League Two side and a Highland League side, last pull a crowd of 3,000? the early 90s?

Yes, we need a big crowd. I am ecnouraged to hear "neutrals" are coming. I am hoping for a crowd of around 1,500- still comfortably bigger than any League Two crowd this season. All of us have to face facts that lower league football isn't such a big draw anymore. But I am confident there will be enough folk there to make enough noise. Realism is needed.

A lot of old timers and stay-aways are coming out for this one. Many people who haven't been near LP in years, largely because the football has been so turgid and unwatchable for much of that time, are turning out.

For you neutrals, just be glad you are not going through this. It's as horrible an experience as I've ever had watching football.

Will you be at LP?

When did a game involving a League Two side and a Highland League side, last pull a crowd of 3,000? the early 90s?

Yes, we need a big crowd. I am ecnouraged to hear "neutrals" are coming. I am hoping for a crowd of around 1,500- still comfortably bigger than any League Two crowd this season. All of us have to face facts that lower league football isn't such a big draw anymore. But I am confident there will be enough folk there to make enough noise. Realism is needed.

A lot of old timers and stay-aways are coming out for this one. Many people who haven't been near LP in years, largely because the football has been so turgid and unwatchable for much of that time, are turning out.

For you neutrals, just be glad you are not going through this. It's as horrible an experience as I've ever had watching football.

Will you be at LP?

Ivo what happend to the two buses the pubs were running to the game at Brora saturday????????

Will you be at LP?

Very good - but I fear there may not be as many as you hope that are as passionate as you, and see the relationship between a football club and a town and national exposure.

See Gateshead, Barrow, Workington and Southport, all long gone from the national scene. Granted Accrington came back again, but it could be argued that it's slightly - slightly - easier in England, with a vibrant non-league scene, and two promotion places available (albeit out of 24) rather than 1.

Very good - but I fear there may not be as many as you hope that are as passionate as you, and see the relationship between a football club and a town and national exposure.

See Gateshead, Barrow, Workington and Southport, all long gone from the national scene. Granted Accrington came back again, but it could be argued that it's slightly - slightly - easier in England, with a vibrant non-league scene, and two promotion places available (albeit out of 24) rather than 1.

Gateshead, Barrow and Southport all conference regulars, and hence on the Saturday results; ( Gateshead and Southport full-time, too). Workington unlucky not to be promoted back to Conf North this term, but of the four they )along with the re-formed Bradford Park Avenue) are the least likely to come back.

I agree in one sense; if we drop, we won't be back. Just have to hope that this group of players have enough about them to get us over the line. Oddly, even in such a terrible season, there have been a couple of really good performances. It is those levels we need to get back to on Saturday.

Gateshead, Barrow and Southport all conference regulars, and hence on the Saturday results; ( Gateshead and Southport full-time, too). Workington unlucky not to be promoted back to Conf North this term, but of the four they )along with the re-formed Bradford Park Avenue) are the least likely to come back.

I agree in one sense; if we drop, we won't be back. Just have to hope that this group of players have enough about them to get us over the line. Oddly, even in such a terrible season, there have been a couple of really good performances. It is those levels we need to get back to on Saturday.

When they were turfed out of the Football League the name disappeared until the Conference, or whatever it was called then, was formed.

They've all dropped out of that, too, on occasion, and it could be argued that the present Gateshead aren't the same as the one that made way for Peterborough.

Agreed Gateshead and Southport are in the Conference now, but a lot of folk won't know that they were once Football League teams, unlike the vast majority of ex-league teams currently jamming out the Conference.

That was really what I was getting at.

Hm yeah, well I suppose it is uncharted territory up here, and I suppose comparisons with England are difficult to make stick.

If we go down we will be compared with Lincoln City, the first team to be automatically relegated in England in 1987. They bounced back after just a season, but have been stuck in the conference a while now and don't look likely to come back anytime soon. Of the clubs relegated Newport disappeared then came back, just as did Aldershot (briefly); Darlington, Hereford, and Scarborough also died; Stockport are stuck in Conference North; many more teams are stuck in the hinterland between football league and conference play offs, hoping that next year will be their year.

It's very different in Scotland, who knows how it will all turn out in the event of relegation. I just hope we don't have to find out.

Archived