Berwick Rangers 2015/16

There 's a useful discussion to be had about the playing surface at whatever stadium we find ourselves at in the future, but a personal view is that the power grab that's just been executed in the boardroom is more of a priority at the moment. I'd respectfully suggest there are more pressing matters and that certain factions in the boardroom will be delighted if supporters get sidetracked on a debate about the merits of 4G. What I can say is that profit calculations based on what happens elsewhere are overblown, and that a pre-deduction weekly income of £800-1000 pw is more realistic than the six figures regularly bandied about.

Re Saturday's decision - don't forget these are the guys who held a breakfast meeting in a Tweedmouth cafe with Lenny Eyre before formally anointing him after his back of a fag packet presentation in the boardroom, then hot-footed it up to Dunbar to celebrate their coup. The supporters organisations who are the major shareholders in Berwick Rangers FC had negigible influence on any of this. It seems like a done deal, a fait accomplit, a stitch-up. And that cannot be healthy.

John Bell never had a chance. I've seen his presentation and it is realistic, professional, insightful, visionary, and makes a very persuasive case for the future of Berwick Rangers at the heart of the local community, in a way that evidence-free wishful thinking about promotion and developing a 3G pitch at Old Shielfield simply fails to do.

John Bell will shortly be deposed as vice-chair and his successor is likely to be Graham Bell, who was only recently appointed to the board with a fundraising brief. This is about a particular group cementing their control of the club. Given that Shielfield Rocks lost in the region of £3500 last year, I'm hoping that the board, with its new members, will be taking a more forensic approach to protecting the club's finances. I'd also repeat the proposal I made at the AGM, which is that irrespective of Saturday's decision, supporters should still get the chance to hear the presentations made by the candidates to succeed Brian Porteous including that from the chairman-elect. That will give people the chance to make up their own mind whose leadership would be best suited to modernising Berwick Rangers.

I think supporters have been played for suckers. The board is there to represent supporters and shareholders. Let's ensure they start doing that.

A lot of good comments. I will be thruthful and say I dont know all answers but I think way forward is a brand new funded community stadium somewhere on boundaries of the town, close to main roads, with an all weather surface, good conference facilities for hire, good hospitality areas with restaurant and so on. Annan seem to have done most of that with help from authorities. Is the stadium local authority owned, then if so surely they realise the benefits all round of a new one?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of good comments. I will be thruthful and say I dont know all answers but I think way forward is a brand new funded community stadium somewhere on boundaries of the town, close to main roads, with an all weather surface, good conference facilities for hire, good hospitality areas with restaurant and so on. Annan seem to have done most of that with help from authorities. Is the stadium local authority owned, then if so surely they realise the benefits all round of a new one?

Yes - the stadium is owned by Northumberland County Council. The football club sold it to them for £90k in the 80s when they were on the brink of adminstration.

Pretty sure the going rate for full 3/4G pitch for 2 hrs is around £120, usually for training, amateur teams will hire a 3rd of a pitch which naturally brings down the costs, think if there was one in the town, it'd be generally busy Mon-Fri, and good chance it'd be used for matches on a Saturday - as a training facility and not the actual team park. If it was, every other week teams could play on it, this is the norm - Airdrie/QoS etc.

Your figure is not far away. Certainly locally where I am it varies from around £90-£120. Absolute money making scheme as long as you put money away to refurbish the pitch.

All this stadium / pitch patter has drifted us from the fact that our club board and current chairman have f**ked over the supporters of this club, and the current vice chairman and best candidate to take over from the current chairman!

An absolute joke how it has been handled, and they're not helping the already dwindling crowds due to the utter garbage on the pitch. As a wise man once said, football without the fans is nothing.

Utter shambles on and off the pitch.

There 's a useful discussion to be had about the playing surface at whatever stadium we find ourselves at in the future, but a personal view is that the power grab that's just been executed in the boardroom is more of a priority at the moment. I'd respectfully suggest there are more pressing matters and that certain factions in the boardroom will be delighted if supporters get sidetracked on a debate about the merits of 4G. What I can say is that profit calculations based on what happens elsewhere are overblown, and that a pre-deduction weekly income of £800-1000 pw is more realistic than the six figures regularly bandied about.

Re Saturday's decision - don't forget these are the guys who held a breakfast meeting in a Tweedmouth cafe with Lenny Eyre before formally anointing him after his back of a fag packet presentation in the boardroom, then hot-footed it up to Dunbar to celebrate their coup. The supporters organisations who are the major shareholders in Berwick Rangers FC had negigible influence on any of this. It seems like a done deal, a fait accomplit, a stitch-up. And that cannot be healthy.

John Bell never had a chance. I've seen his presentation and it is realistic, professional, insightful, visionary, and makes a very persuasive case for the future of Berwick Rangers at the heart of the local community, in a way that evidence-free wishful thinking about promotion and developing a 3G pitch at Old Shielfield simply fails to do.

John Bell will shortly be deposed as vice-chair and his successor is likely to be Graham Bell, who was only recently appointed to the board with a fundraising brief. This is about a particular group cementing their control of the club. Given that Shielfield Rocks lost in the region of £3500 last year, I'm hoping that the board, with its new members, will be taking a more forensic approach to protecting the club's finances. I'd also repeat the proposal I made at the AGM, which is that irrespective of Saturday's decision, supporters should still get the chance to hear the presentations made by the candidates to succeed Brian Porteous including that from the chairman-elect. That will give people the chance to make up their own mind whose leadership would be best suited to modernising Berwick Rangers.

I think supporters have been played for suckers. The board is there to represent supporters and shareholders. Let's ensure they start doing that.

My apologies for the misquoted message.

Mr Cook, again some fantastic points made. It really is time you stepped up to the plate for the support. The most puzzling thing from what I've read about Saturdays shenanigans is the fact they all fucked off out of town to Dunbar to celebrate instead of staying in town at the club, the Pilot or indeed your establishment and invest cash within the town that the team plays.

Odd to say the least but possibly not considered how disliked this regime is at present. Bugger tae christ it's getting like Wilson's time 8 years back but at least they provided success on the football pitch!

From the official site, and that's all he has to offer, dear god we really are screwed

FROM CHAIRMAN ELECT, LEN EYRE

After eight years as a Director it was a proud moment for me, when I was appointed Berwick Rangers Football Club Chairman (Elect) on Saturday 30th January and I will be taking over the role from Brian Porteous at the end of the season in May. Brian will be a hard act to follow. In his tenure as Chairman, Berwick Rangers have wiped out a massive debt and now have a very healthy bank balance. Unfortunately, the club has not had similar success on the football pitch in recent seasons.

I am a retired local businessman who ran a very successful business for 30 years in the town. I can see that being a huge asset in the day to day operation of the Football Club.

Being Chairman of Berwick Rangers is something I am really looking forward to. I am up for the challenge and I believe we have the right Manager in John Coughlin. I am sure John will secure our League position in the coming weeks. It would be an absolute disaster if that was not achieved, after all the hard work that has been put in over the past few years. I understand the passion the supporters have for the Football Club, so I see myself as the figurehead that they can engage with.

I see the role of Chairman, apart from obviously chairing Board meetings, to carry out all the work involved from decisions of the Directors, help with the day to day administration and the commercial activities of the Football Club etc.

The Club has to engage more with the football community and to that end I would like to chair meetings between Supporters Trust and Supporters Club committees to bring their ideas together and move forward together as one unit.

I see the roles of the Supporters Club and the Supporters Trust as crucial to the operation of Berwick Rangers. The Supporters Club has donated in excess of £35,000 and the Supporters Trust £5,000 this past year, which is very important to the survival of Berwick Rangers.

On the way forward to establishing us as a Community caring club I will be putting forward to the Board ideas to see if it would be possible to install a 3G playing surface and facilities on Old Shielfield.

This facility could be used by other clubs (in particular football) and organisations from around the area. This will give Berwick Rangers an extra revenue stream which is always welcome and vital.

At the end of the day my message to the supporters is come along and support us and I am sure John Coughlin and his team will turn the situation around on the park.

All this stadium / pitch patter has drifted us from the fact that our club board and current chairman have f**ked over the supporters of this club, and the current vice chairman and best candidate to take over from the current chairman!

An absolute joke how it has been handled, and they're not helping the already dwindling crowds due to the utter garbage on the pitch. As a wise man once said, football without the fans is nothing.

Utter shambles on and off the pitch.

The "stadium and pitch patter" is exactly the kind of thing people should be talking about imo. If we spend the next 5 years or whatever greeting on and on about this decision and two groups just constantly argue, then absolutely nothing will get done.

Far better to make suggestions, come up with ideas, have healthy disagreements and work towards something you would like to see than ignoring anything positive that could be done, whether we agree with the decision or not.

Just my opinion, but we'd be even less likely to see a new stadium or some of the ideas being talked about by both candidates if everyone is just going to fire barbs all the time. There's plenty people around outside the club happy to do that anyway.

The "stadium and pitch patter" is exactly the kind of thing people should be talking about imo. If we spend the next 5 years or whatever greeting on and on about this decision and two groups just constantly argue, then absolutely nothing will get done.

Far better to make suggestions, come up with ideas, have healthy disagreements and work towards something you would like to see than ignoring anything positive that could be done, whether we agree with the decision or not.

Just my opinion, but we'd be even less likely to see a new stadium or some of the ideas being talked about by both candidates if everyone is just going to fire barbs all the time. There's plenty people around outside the club happy to do that anyway.

Nothing positive can happen going forward until Bill Parkin resigns as Chairman of the supporters club. They have just bought shares at a cost of 13k, this is a disgrace, some were bought for a lot less than they are being sold on for.

Futher investigation's have provided me with facts that the board didn't vote on the recent work awarded to director's companies. This is illegal under company law.

I would like to offer an option on the way forward, how about the board and supporters club committee all resign with immediate effect. Members can then put themselves forward with a presentation infront of a public audience, they can explain why they are the best candidates to take the club forward. Supporters can then vote with confidence after witnessing presentations. An annual review can then take place to reflect on their performance over the last 12 months.

As it stands the board are making all the decisions on behalf of the largest shareholders "Berwick Rangers Supporters Club" , this is not healthy.

Fans have no trust in the current board regardless of what motions are put forward.

Another idea would be to fill roles rather than appoint a friend :-

Chairman

Vice Chairman

Finance Director

Secretary

Community Director

Director Of Football

Corporate Director

Operations Director

Nothing positive can happen going forward until Bill Parkin resigns as Chairman of the supporters club. They have just bought shares at a cost of 13k, this is a disgrace, some were bought for a lot less than they are being sold on for.

Futher investigation's have provided me with facts that the board didn't vote on the recent work awarded to director's companies. This is illegal under company law.

I would like to offer an option on the way forward, how about the board and supporters club committee all resign with immediate effect. Members can then put themselves forward with a presentation infront of a public audience, they can explain why they are the best candidates to take the club forward. Supporters can then vote with confidence after witnessing presentations. An annual review can then take place to reflect on their performance over the last 12 months.

As it stands the board are making all the decisions on behalf of the largest shareholders "Berwick Rangers Supporters Club" , this is not healthy.

Fans have no trust in the current board regardless of what motions are put forward.

Chairman

Vice Chairman

Finance Director

Secretary

Community Director

Director Of Football

Corporate Director

Operations Director

There's a lot of good stuff there. I think you'll find this echoes a lot of what's in the outgoing vice-chair's presentation.In the longer term it would make sense to have a single supporters organisation with a brand new constitution which is robust enough to withstand the chicanery that's splitting the club. History keeps repeating itself, and it's doing the club no favours. The relationship between the board and the supporters' organisation should be redefined, so that the biggest shareholders cannot be bypassed by a power-grab like the one we've just seen.

Re the potential breach of company law - are you taking advice on this?

It also does'nt help when the chairman-elect, visiting staff at shielfield on monday, introduced Graham Bell as the new vice-chair. This arrogance conveniently ignores the fact that there is a vice-chair in place at the moment, John Bell, who remains vice-chair until such time as the board take a vote on the position, which I'm anticipating will be the same foregone conclusion as the vote for the chair. None of this augurs well for the future.

As for the purchase of Brian Porteous's shares by the supporters club, I know of at least two people who take SC tickets each week amounting to several £100s worth each year, who will be cancelling their tickets as a result of that decision.

So what kind of legacy is the outgoing chairman leaving? A serially under-performing team whose average league position in the last 8 years has hovered between 6th & 7th? A puppet chairman whose appointment seems to have circumvented good practice and the best interests of supporters? A growing disenchantment amongst supporters sick and tired of the same old? Not much glory to bask in amongst that lot, is there?

Question from an outsider. If the Trust and/or SC are the major shareholders how could the new Chairman be elected without their support ?

Good question. Could a rep from the supporters club committee (the SC are the major shareholders by some distance, and the gap between their shareholding and that of the Trust has been extended through the acquisition of the outgoing chairman's 26,000 shares fro an alleged £13k) or FC board answer this?

Good question. Could a rep from the supporters club committee (the SC are the major shareholders by some distance, and the gap between their shareholding and that of the Trust has been extended through the acquisition of the outgoing chairman's 26,000 shares fro an alleged £13k) or FC board answer this?

As far as I'm aware, and I'm happy to stand corrected, the constitution of the club says that the chairman is decided by a vote of the current directors. I don't think the shareholding comes into it?

Chairman

Vice Chairman

Finance Director

Secretary

Community Director

Director Of Football

Corporate Director

Operations Director

Len Eyre should also resign from the BRFC Supporters Club Committee as there is clearly a conflict of interest.

Len Eyre should also resign from the BRFC Supporters Club Committee as there is clearly a conflict of interest.

This was discussed at the meeting on Tuesday evening, and it was agreed that come May (or upon whatever date he assumes his position as Chairman of the club), Lenny will step down from the SC committee.

That also led to some positive discussion about his and/or the club's future relations with both of the Supporters organisations and the idea of him potentially attending meetings of both where requested or should he request permission to attend and, as alluded to in his statement this morning, the potential of joint Trust/SC meetings to try get the two organisations working closer together for the benefit of the club.

Chairman

Vice Chairman

Finance Director

Secretary

Community Director

Director Of Football

Corporate Director

Operations Director

themselves forward with a presentation infront of a public audience, they can explain why they are the best candidates to take the club forward. Supporters can then vote with confidence after witnessing presentations. An annual review can then take place to reflect on their performance over the last 12 months.

The idea of titles/roles is something I'm massively for - I believe it encourages clear responsibility and increases accountibility. It's something else I asked about at Tuesday's meeting. The response seemed positive. Apparently there are already roles designated, to which I asked why they weren't made public. I was told that this is something the club will be looking to address in the near future to help increase transparency, so encouraging in that regard.

Talking of law and legal stuff. Is it actually legal to charge supporters a quid to park at Shielfield. Do the speedway fans also pay for parking?.Since the disc parking scheme was introduced I thought everywhere in Berwick was free parking especially as it's County council land. Yes I know you get a 50 /50 ticket but surely you should have a choice whether you want to buy one or not. As for recent "appointments " I'm taking the fifth ammendment.

Club has already been called-out over the parking charge, seemingly?

Tucked away on the website ('Matchday Info' page) is now the disclaimer:

Parking is available opposite Shielfield Park, with no fee. Fans are invited to purchase a 50/50 half-time draw ticket upon arriving, though this is not compulsory.

That said, if Jimmy Twice & Co had to go through that rigmarole for every car, instead of

"pound please lads"

then

"keep ahold of that now, a keep ahold of that, keep ahold of that for the half-time draw"

you'd probably never get into the field before kick-off...

Archived