Berwick Rangers 2015/16

There's nothing to attract young people to games now. There used to be a half decent competitive team to support and an atmosphere in the Ducket. That's what was there when most people I know started going. There's nothing there atall now. The atmosphere went with the fence and the team haven't been competitive for nearly a decade. The whole place feels like it's stuck in a time warp. Little things, but it's 2015 and to get to the turnstiles you have to walk across muddy grass then compact hardcore to get to the terrace where you can't even hear the speakers. Things like that just give an impression that the whole club is stuck in the past.

Too much acceptance of failure and shite signing after shite signing. I hope Coughlin can turn it round despite thinking it's an uninspiring appointment, but I fear the damage is done with years of mediocrity. We've happily stood still, and when you do that you start to go backwards.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could put Sir Alex near it, we're fucked from the core. We've chucked player after player at it and ruined anyone who was half decent. Anyone who looked like having a bit of talent couldn't get away quick enough. Wilkie to EF, Easton going to Elgin. It just goes to show how much players think of the club for me. We must have an utterly w**k reputation.

Having listened to the TellHimHesPele podcasts with numerous lower league players it's clear the club isn't fancied by anyone half decent anymore and judging by what they say about their experiences at other clubs, I wouldn't be surprised if we lack on every front when it comes to the 'little things' that make all the difference. There are lads like Trouten, Kettlewell etc who still love QP because, despite their amateur status and players not being paid, the players were looked after in every other way possible and it was ran so professionally during their time there. To me though, if you sign for Berwick it seems as simple as get your tracksuit, get your comps sorted, check your wage is in monthly and otherwise it's just training twice a week and playing on a Saturday. Because there's nothing to make them feel valued, it soon seems a chore to some. And that leads to worse.

Last seasons best moment was preempted by players try rob the club for an extra bonus simply for turning up for a game which should be enjoyed as a career highlight, not a chance to make a few extra quid.

But is it their fault? Arguably in some part. They should be able to motivate themselves to do better. But the way the club is run, as stuck in the past as it is, there is f**k all to invest into. For players or fans. And until that is sorted, we'll be as shit as we've been the last eight years.

When you breed a culture of monetary obsession (or an obsession of any other than results at a football club for that matter), do you have the right to be annoyed when the priority of the players appears to shift or the motivation declines? That's maybe more applicable to last season's squad, but it's clear plenty of this season's are falling into the same trap of having nothing to fight for.

More and more convinced that our defence suffers from a piss poor attack that can't hold up the ball and carries no threat, and (Notman aside) a midfield that can't tackle.

Halkett must be shell shocked. Played 4, lost 4, for 2, against 12.

Anyone seen/read anything from Coughlin since Saturday?

More and more convinced that our defence suffers from a piss poor attack that can't hold up the ball and carries no threat, and (Notman aside) a midfield that can't tackle.

I actually looked into this earlier.

Finished last season with a goal difference of +3, scored an average of 1.67 goals a game.

This season we're already at -15, having scored an average of 1.07 goals a game.

Got to tell you that your directors were shaking Clyde hands like Japanese businessmen apologising for their actions before sloping off to do the honourable thing. When the realisation that you were bottom sunk in, they looked paler than Bebe Neuwirth!

( one for Frasier fans)

I actually looked into this earlier.

Finished last season with a goal difference of +3, scored an average of 1.67 goals a game.

This season we're already at -15, having scored an average of 1.07 goals a game.

suppose the stats that would prove my notion would be a pitch map showing areas and times of possession.I doubt if Henderson and Lav had the ball under their control for more than a minute each on Saturday, and in the last 2 years - despite plenty of possession - the area where we can successfully hang on to the ball has slipped further and further back towards our own goal.

The point is, we carry no threat. There is nothing wide since Ross Gray was dumped, and the ball just bounces off Hendo or never reaches him. So... Teams like Clyde can push further forward and take greater attacking risks themselves.

We have to find a way of winning and keeping the ball in the opposition half. Should be curtains under Coughlin for anyone that can't tackle.

Got to tell you that your directors were shaking Clyde hands like Japanese businessmen apologising for their actions before sloping off to do the honourable thing. When the realisation that you were bottom sunk in, they looked paler than Bebe Neuwirth!

( one for Frasier fans)

Nice reference. Bless her lily white hide.

There are solutions to the hole we're in. The majority of the current board backed the decision to offer Cameron a new contract. That decision is responsible for us ending up at the bottom of the league with the worst team in the division. In case anyone is inclined to dispute that claim, check out the gory details of our 5-0,5-0,4-1,4-1 pumpings so far and remind yourself it's still only November. Unless Coughlin can overhaul the squad, then there's plenty more where that came from. Anybody fancy this bunch to beat the highland champions over two legs? No, me neither.

So, personal view:

(1) The aforementioned board members must step down over a phased period before the end of the season. That includes the chairman. Credit rightly accrued when they stabilised the club after the departure of Wilson et al has been expended, in part due to to a palpable sense of stagnation but equally due to 8 seasons of on-field failure. The fact that 4th is out highest finish in 8 years in a ten team league is a lamentable indictment of the clubs' lack of ambition under the current board.

(2) Appoint John Bell as chairman and allow him to assemble a board of do-ers as opposed to models for Greenwoods January blazer sale. A revamped board with a genuine visionary who has a strong track record of achievement offers real hope for the future. Based on the evidence of the last 8 years, the status quo does not.

(3) Give the Trust some balls and a brief - as was always envisaged when it was established - to exercise greater independence from the football club. This would involve the trust supporting the club but also challenging on key issues when appropriate.

I walked out at 3-0 on Saturday, along with around 20 other people, because I'd had enough. The cumulative effect of watching your team fail week in week out wears you down . If guys like me - 41 years a supporter - are starting to give up on the club then they really are screwed, because crowds are dwindling after a diet of mediocre football for far too long. I don't know ehether Saturday's car crash has shaken the board out of their complacency or not (Maxruby's post above suggests the shock of being bottom had only just registered), but they owe it to supporters to explain their plans for extricating the club from the mess they've helped create. John Coughlin needs serious backing in the transfer window. The only hope is that it won't be too late by then, and he can scrape together enough points to keep us in touch with the rest of the league. Watching the gulf between a well-organised Clyde team gilded by two outstanding players in Gormley and Linton, I have serious doubts. They looked a couple of leagues better than us. At least last season's 8th placed Berwick side would have given them a game. The problem we have is that the manager needs about 8 new players (I'd keep Notman, Finn Graham and er......probably Beveridge). Will the board sanction the resources he needs to keep us out of the Lowland League?

A campaign that started with grand statements about making the playoffs has been suborned into a desperate fight for survival. The complacent amongst us will argue that there's plenty of time left and we'll be ok. They were'nt watching on Saturday. If that doesn't set the alarm bells ringing, nothing will. There's still a good club in there somewhere, and we can all play a part in helping to get it back on its feet. It's easy for all of us, me included, to come on to P&B pissing and moaning about stuff, so let's get along to the club AGM and ask the board some serious questions. They're accountable to us, the shareholders and supporters, at the end of the day.

Don't see how anyone can argue with RM's post. (though Hugh J might enjoy a quick tug as he wallows in the fans current misery and a vivid imagination where Robert Wilson is only a shite centre-half).

On the team front, not a lot can be done until January, but I doubt if Coughlin will accept another display like Saturdays without chasing half of them out of town and signing some passers-by in Castlegate.

Just a minor point, but personally, I'd also keep Mcneil. The rest should be horse whipped.

Don't see how anyone can argue with RM's post.

I agree with the vast majority of the post, especially the overall structure being discussed, but I'd still need far more convincing before I agreed with point 2.

As I've said before, of the current board I'd be more confident in John than any of them to bring about what is suggested, but that isn't saying much considering the contenders. I wouldn't be happy to see some kind of automatic coronation and a load of resignations over one decision. Yes, one very poor decision in hindsight, but there was little more than a few raised eyebrows at the time. There were other directors wanting a change at the end of the season. One director quit because of differences they had with the chairman. I personally don't think that disagreeing with that decision is enough to trump everything else and for me it isn't an 'in out' breaker.

Let's be honest, John has been director since around 2003-2005. He's a culpable as the rest for some of the poor decisions made over the past 8 years of failure. He can't distance himself from everything. He backed Yano long beyond he was finished for instance. A few of us have had disagreements with him in terms of whether he was taking the views of the trust membership to the board or he's only taking the things he believes there. He hasn't exactly shown that he has got many 'do-ers' involved to date. We haven't really got much outside funding in, but a lot of excuses in Trust news letters. Is there anything happening with a new ground, or not?

Granted, I missed the trust AGM on Saturday, so I may have missed John outlining some plans going forward, but I'd need far more convincing that he's the man to automatically place in the hot seat. It may be that RM has had conversations with John which gives him confidence that he will make the changes outlined and that's fair enough, but I think we all need to hear them to be convinced rather than take one persons word for it. He needs to engage people outside of the trust and his own circle so we can all hear his plans. At the last 'talk in' it was obvious there was a lot of talent in the room who would most likely be prepared to help move things forward, from young fans, county councillors, people who've sponsored games, and others who weren't there like Domo and his pals.

It's a decision that will come from the board room as that's the constitution of the club, but I think it's important that anyone wishing to go for the role needs to engage with fans and give them confidence that they're the man to take the club forward and do what is suggested.

I don't want this to sound like a personal attack on John, because it's not, but I'd like to hear his plans and I want someone fans can trust in to deliver before they take over.

All this talk is pretty much irrelevant as it stands, Len Eyre will win enough votes to become the next BRFC Chairman and it will be status Quo. Together the supporters club and trust are major shareholders by some-way, it will be very difficult for them to have a vote of no confidence in the board considering they have three members currently sitting as directors and are equally responsible for the club's poor performance. The Trust and Supporters Club have the power to implement change but are both shooting in different directions once again. In my opinion messrs Bell and Parkin have too much say over the supporters organisations, it's time to stand up and be counted before we drift off to Duns, Coldstream, Selkirk etc. Ruthless decisions need made and the supporters have the chance to play their part.

Great counter post (to RM) from BM. My view, despite having serious disagreements with John Bell a few years ago, is that he is easily the best man for the job of the current touted candidates. If someone else appeared from nowhere, then bring him or her on.

We are in a bad way when we are touting for JB to take the helm but who else is there? Nobody unfortunately.

Fresh investors need to be sought along with fresh ideas and along with that we need to hope Coff can keep us up.

This season could be the end of football as we know it in Berwick and it's time for some difficult and harsh decisions to be made by those in charge. I believe the next 6 matches will go a long way in deciding if we survive in the Football League.

Ok. Will just assume Cameron is in charge.

I like those who have signed. Would add Wilkie and Willis and give Gold another chance.

Would play Notman At right back next season. His aerial cover would give an extra dimension to the defence too.

We would need to sign an experienced keeper, a left back, 2 centre-mids (one a proven leader on the pitch, a right winger and 2 forwards.

Would like some decent friendlies away from home too, the return of the Ducket fence (yawn) and some decent and regular info on the website.

Funny looking back that literally none of this has happened.

Archived