Berwick Rangers 2015/16

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neil Oliver to manage home games and someone else away?

Maybe we should do that with the first team too, appoint another manager to manage the teams away from home. And whilst we're at it shielfield is getting a bit 'unfit for purpose' so I think we should play all games away from home now with our new away manager

Surely the experimentation should have waited till after they had first team players signed up for the season. Creeping closer to pre season with half a team and no news or even rumours of signings is shocking.

So with 10 days to go until our first pre-season friendly, at home to North Shields on 4th July, we have 5 bona-fide first teamers signed (Walker, Drummond, Fairbairn, McKenna and Henderson - I've not included the injured Notman, too-old Cameron or transfer-listed Young. Russell and Bauld are aquad players). We have to assume that negotiations are ongoing with potential signings, though I would'nt bank on it. Every other team in the league is ahead of us when it comes to putting a squad together, so it's little wonder that supporters are getting jittery.

The club - from the management to the board - is doing very little to inspire confidence at the moment, and why anyone would want to invest in a season ticket before they know what they're going to be watching is beyond me. I'm aware of 3 regulars who have told me in the last week that they're not renewing their seasn tickets because they're frustrated at the club's lack of ambition and poor communication. The board could have scored a real winner by offering supporters cheap season tickets as a thank you for having to endure 8 years of rank mediocrity on the field; it's not as if season ticket sales are a massive contributor to the overall financial health of the club and the resulting goodwill would have been reinvigorating.

Brian Porteous recently said that the supporters were the most important element of the football club. Compliments are no longer enough. Supporters have very little real influence on what happens in the boardroom. Berwick Rangers is a very old fashioned football club in many ways. Look at the make-up of the board - not many young people there. What exactly do you have to do to be a member of the board? And is the current set-up really the best way to run a football club?

Maybe it's time to look at new governance models for the football club. What works better elsewhere? What helps make a club a community club? (Annan look like a good example of this).

Some random thoughts on a way ahead, other than replacing the manager and actually persuading decent players to sign for the club:

Does the club have a 3, 5 or 10 year plan?

If not, why not?

What are the club's priorities? We can't rely on lucky cup draws to sustain the club financially

Should'nt the club be asking what supporters' priorities are?

What about carrying out an exercise to find out what supporters feel are the most important issues? You could ask 6th formers at Berwick HS to do this as some kind of community consultation project, and use the findings to inform an action and strategic plan, encompassing everything from a new stadium, an income-generating 3G pitch, getting access to grant funds, developing playing and business links with the local community, sweeping away the traditional closed-door boardroom style of club management etc etc. Invite people not connected to the club to take part. Hold consultation events in the town hall. Set up a working group to make the priorities real.

What are the plans for replacing club stalwarts Connie Turner, Dennis McLeary and Pea Oliver when they retire, as they will inevitably do some time soon?

How can the club's approach to communications be improved?

How can the club work with local politicians to imrpove its standing?

The support at the Spartans matches this season showed that within the local community, there is still a lot of goodwill towards the football club and if that can be capitalised on by a more progressive and less inward-looking approach, the club will become stronger. When the current board took over in what, 2008?, there was a lot of goodwill towards it. The lack of on and off-field progress (and I'll repeat that credit is due to the board for consolidting the financial position and taking a sensible fiscal approach to running the club), risks letting that goodwill ebb away to nothing. The boos at the 0-3 loss at home to East Fife at the last game of the season were'nt just down to another pish-poor performance, they were also about a growing frustration at a club that seems content to make up the numbers.

None of these things come without effort and it would be both unfair and unrealistic to expect the board alone to take on these tasks, even if they had the capability or capacity to do so. If we want to make a difference, then we all need to be prepared to muck in. It's easy to piss and moan from behind a keyboard, then expect other people to haul the club's ass out of the fire. I think we're at a low ebb right now and that the club needs radical change if it's going to move forward.

Unless a manager who supporters have very little faith in, but who has been solidly backed by the club chairman, can put together a competitive team within the next couple of weeks i think there is a real risk we'll be playing Brora in the trapdoor playoffs at the end of next season. That would represent a failure of historic proportions.

Colin Cameron could still put together a really good side that finishes in a playoff spot. I don't think that changes the desperate need to modernise Berwick Rangers Football Club.

So with 10 days to go until our first pre-season friendly, at home to North Shields on 4th July, we have 5 bona-fide first teamers signed (Walker, Drummond, Fairbairn, McKenna and Henderson - I've not included the injured Notman, too-old Cameron or transfer-listed Young. Russell and Bauld are aquad players). We have to assume that negotiations are ongoing with potential signings, though I would'nt bank on it. Every other team in the league is ahead of us when it comes to putting a squad together, so it's little wonder that supporters are getting jittery.

The club - from the management to the board - is doing very little to inspire confidence at the moment, and why anyone would want to invest in a season ticket before they know what they're going to be watching is beyond me. I'm aware of 3 regulars who have told me in the last week that they're not renewing their seasn tickets because they're frustrated at the club's lack of ambition and poor communication. The board could have scored a real winner by offering supporters cheap season tickets as a thank you for having to endure 8 years of rank mediocrity on the field; it's not as if season ticket sales are a massive contributor to the overall financial health of the club and the resulting goodwill would have been reinvigorating.

Brian Porteous recently said that the supporters were the most important element of the football club. Compliments are no longer enough. Supporters have very little real influence on what happens in the boardroom. Berwick Rangers is a very old fashioned football club in many ways. Look at the make-up of the board - not many young people there. What exactly do you have to do to be a member of the board? And is the current set-up really the best way to run a football club?

Maybe it's time to look at new governance models for the football club. What works better elsewhere? What helps make a club a community club? (Annan look like a good example of this).

Some random thoughts on a way ahead, other than replacing the manager and actually persuading decent players to sign for the club:

If not, why not?

What are the club's priorities? We can't rely on lucky cup draws to sustain the club financially

What about carrying out an exercise to find out what supporters feel are the most important issues? You could ask 6th formers at Berwick HS to do this as some kind of community consultation project, and use the findings to inform an action and strategic plan, encompassing everything from a new stadium, an income-generating 3G pitch, getting access to grant funds, developing playing and business links with the local community, sweeping away the traditional closed-door boardroom style of club management etc etc. Invite people not connected to the club to take part. Hold consultation events in the town hall. Set up a working group to make the priorities real.

What are the plans for replacing club stalwarts Connie Turner, Dennis McLeary and Pea Oliver when they retire, as they will inevitably do some time soon?

The support at the Spartans matches this season showed that within the local community, there is still a lot of goodwill towards the football club and if that can be capitalised on by a more progressive and less inward-looking approach, the club will become stronger. When the current board took over in what, 2008?, there was a lot of goodwill towards it. The lack of on and off-field progress (and I'll repeat that credit is due to the board for consolidting the financial position and taking a sensible fiscal approach to running the club), risks letting that goodwill ebb away to nothing. The boos at the 0-3 loss at home to East Fife at the last game of the season were'nt just down to another pish-poor performance, they were also about a growing frustration at a club that seems content to make up the numbers.

None of these things come without effort and it would be both unfair and unrealistic to expect the board alone to take on these tasks, even if they had the capability or capacity to do so. If we want to make a difference, then we all need to be prepared to muck in. It's easy to piss and moan from behind a keyboard, then expect other people to haul the club's ass out of the fire. I think we're at a low ebb right now and that the club needs radical change if it's going to move forward.

Unless a manager who supporters have very little faith in, but who has been solidly backed by the club chairman, can put together a competitive team within the next couple of weeks i think there is a real risk we'll be playing Brora in the trapdoor playoffs at the end of next season. That would represent a failure of historic proportions.

Colin Cameron could still put together a really good side that finishes in a playoff spot. I don't think that changes the desperate need to modernise Berwick Rangers Football Club.

Some great points there. I was thinking about this over the weekend. How many people do we have on our board of directors and how many people does it take to run a football club. There are Premier League clubs with only a handful of board members.

Being on the board should be about having the best people in place to take the club forward and work towards a plan, not just a seat for anyone who can afford to put £20k in or whatever the going rate is. If they had a 4-6 man boardroom each with certain specialities coming together to take the club forward, that would sound better to me. As the supporters organisations are the main shareholders, they would be better placed to hold the board to account outside the board room, and demanding progress and answers from those on the board. The board would really be accountable to the shareholders then. Just an idea anyway

If not, why not?

Super post.

I deleted a longer reply, because my own shorter term views have been repeated way too often

The communication from the Manager is non-existent and is as unacceptable as the dive in form since Xmas. And it's hopeless from the club too in the face of some clear dismay among regular fans.

Even Hamblin can't get a quote in the tizer.

I mentioned Annan as an example of a club that really looks like it's got its act together, but we've also got one on our doorstep, albeit on a smaller scale. Look at the phenomenal job done by former Ducket regular Coin Pike and his colleagues at Duns in the EOS. They've transformed New Hawthorn Park and just look like a club that is going places. And I don't just mean Eyemouth and Coldstream.

Berwick supporters have plenty of skills. The club could make use of them, if the board is open to working for change too.

Well said that man.To become a community driven club is "the only way" Starting by laying a top notch 3g pitch.Local school teams get to play there .The kids get used to coming to Shielfield, hence they feel part of the community club Id also like to see the setting up of a junior league similar to glendale league .They drag along their parents to Saturday matches instead of having to travel to Wooler Middle school playing on bumpy uneven pitches.Believe me Id much rather watch my laddie play on a nice even pitch in a stadium where my heroes have played!

Thats only my opinion on one way of finally making BRFC a part of the local community instead of burying their heads and expecting people like me to attend matches regardless .

There are 2 things going on here though. All that has been said about a community club is spot on for the longer term. Decent all-weather pitch, with a minimum of half the Devpt team being locals, and playing on that pitch in Berwick.

For the short term, we should remember that Donald Trump is a successful businessman, and we did win the Division under Robert Wilson. Just saying that failure doesn't automatically follow a closed shop Board of intransigents. This lot need to make some decent decisions, pronto, or Red Mists vision will likely become inevitable, though perhaps via the Lowland League.

There are 2 things going on here though. All that has been said about a community club is spot on for the longer term. Decent all-weather pitch, with a minimum of half the Devpt team being locals, and playing on that pitch in Berwick.

For the short term, we should remember that Donald Trump is a successful businessman, and we did win the Division under Robert Wilson. Just saying that failure doesn't automatically follow a closed shop Board of intransigents. This lot need to make some decent decisions, pronto, or Red Mists vision will likely become inevitable, though perhaps via the Lowland League.

True. We could still, in theory, win the league next season. Don;t think anyone seriously believes that will happen, but if Cameron does sign 7-8 quality players then it becomes a possibility. But one succcessful season in 9 does'nt change the bigger picture stuff.

To be honest the community club thing should have started from the moment it all went pear shaped after the championship winning season.Then perhaps we wouldnt all be peenging on about things.Hopefully there is a visionary board member amongst the black coat brigade.

Do we not have a supporters trust rep on the board? Was the trust not set up to make sure All fans have a say in the club? As Berwick mad eluded to, why the need for so many on the board?We are Berwick not Bayern!.

Archived