Berwick Rangers 2015/16

Sounds like you rated him KHS - what`s he like ?

Came to us with an iffy reputation and I thought he was lazy and anonymous for the first 2 months. But he then got better and better and ended up one of our best players.

Cameron picked him every week - surprised he couldn't persuade him to stay.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Willo is a cracking signing for Albion imo. Redcar was wrong about him and he was a fucking legend.

More seriously though, he's a league one midfielder. He good on the wing but maybe against better teams or full backs struggles to get in the game. Ever since he signed I suggested he struck me as more of a central attacking midfielder but he only ever played 3-4 games there, though impressing. Good dribbler, loves a shot.

The thing that disappoints me is by almost the horses mouth we'd made him an offer before the end of the season which hed made clear wasn't really a reward for his form. That's fair enough. It seems instead of improving on that offer we've tried to gamble on it and another team has unsurprisingly came in to match his demands. It's stupidity.

Hes a player capable of playing at a higher level and exactly the kind of player we needed to sign up. Perhaps if we hadn't offered terms to players like Currie and Lavery who clearly don't give a toss about the only clubs that were willing to take a gamble on them or to completely average defenders like Jacobs and Tulloch, then we'd maybe have found the money to meet his demands.

Players come and go and we'll no doubt move on but at the minute, I'm yet to be convinced that Cameron has got anything right in the transfer market so far. One signing success story has just moved to Albion, the other is by all accounts a bit of a dick and wants a transfer anyway.

There's no need to panic yet, but we need a huge month.

Puzzled of Redcar.

For the last 2 years, my understanding is that this club lives within its means. ie doesn't make a loss. So, we can afford last year's wage structure.

Now, if you use just £50k of the cup money, we could afford to offer 6 players last year's money PLUS an extra £150 a week and still have enough change for several hundred fish suppers.

Cameron picked Willis more than any other player, but I doubt he was offered a pay rise and we know several players have failed to snap up CC's offer of a pay cut.

So, my question is, what are we doing with the cup money? And if some players grudgingly accept a pay cut it will do little for their morale and also means they are too shit to get another club to even match their crap offer From Berwick.

So farewell then Paul Willis, one of our three best players last season, alongside Johnny Fairbairn and Stevie Notman.All the best to him - he seems to have chosen a club with some ambition, not an accusation that could be levelled at Berwick Rangers these days.

As Redcar rightly points out, what does it say about the manager that a player who was one of his first picks, and who became a supporters' favourite, chose instead to head off to the Coatbridge San Siro instead of looking to build on the progress he'd made at Shielfield?

My understanding is that none of the players offered new deals (on reduced terms) have contacted the club by the deadline they were given to accept their deals. In terms of signing new players, All we have are rumours of varying credibility - Stuart McColm from Annan, Kevin Smith from East Fife, a trio from Whitehill Welfare, some guy released by QP and, God forbid, Fraser McLaren from er, Dunbar United. Plus loads of "local laddies" signing up for the development squad. Wonder how many of them will graduate to the first team. None of this feels like the makings of a team capable of competing at the top end of the league next season. Now, Colin Cameron may pull some rabbits out of the hat and bring in some cracking players, but i just don't get the impression that he has the range of contacts or encylopedic knowledge of players that someone like Robbie Horn had, which makes his departure all the more unfathomable.

This is the most critical season in living memory. A lot hinges on the way we start this season; not just the manager's job, but also the future role of the people who backed him. It may all turn out fine in the end, but my gut is that it won't. In which case we'll end up with some poor sod parachuted in to haul another pish league campaign out of the fire.

Also seems that Dougie Brydon has been invited to take part in pre-season training, though Duns are unhappy at the nature of the approach. He's had his sports hernia op, so would be a very good signing given that Kerr Young looks destined not to feature unless he puts away the dummy and knuckles down.

Was it not Neil Oliver at Duns raging the last time Berwick got him? Now it's him taking him from Duns again and Duns rage again! Haha.

Duns is pretty much park football. You'd think they'd be happy to see their players go on to the Lowland League or SPFL.

Some big business needed and the rumoured players hardly raise confidence levels in the stands.

Kelty have just signed Josh Morris. Can any Berwick fans give us some info on the guy?

Morris scored a shedful of goals for our reserves, but looked out of his depth on numerous chances in the first team.

He has signed but Allan Fleming had signed and went to Arbroath so you never know.

Would love to see him and his brother Gordon at Shielfield. His father Pogo was centre forward for the greatest Berwick side of all time in 78/79, so there is a connection. Albeit a slim and wishful thinking one.

Plus loads of "local laddies" signing up for the development squad.

Just a thought on this. Since its classed as an under 20's league are we not limited to 5 senior players in the team?

Bringing in the rumoured names purely for that purpose would limit the first team squads opportunities for game time/ recovery games.

Having said that i'd be happy to see some of the names mentioned in the first team squad.

Having said that i'd be happy to see some of the names mentioned in the first team squad.

Me too, but only rumours at this stage. Bottom line is we have what, 7 signed players? (Cameron, Drummond, Fairbairn, Notman, Henderson, Russell, Bauld and the transfer-listed Young). I'd be surprised if there's any other team in the league with so few players signed up at this stage. that said, most of us wanted a clearout, so whether by design or accident, that now looks likely. But please, no McLaren or Martyniuk.Let's see some new faces for once. About 10 of them.

Just a thought on this. Since its classed as an under 20's league are we not limited to 5 senior players in the team?

Bringing in the rumoured names purely for that purpose would limit the first team squads opportunities for game time/ recovery games.

Who are the rumoured names that are talked about coming in?

I've heard Brydon, Kieran Ainslie, Coco and the keeper from Coldstream. Must be others if we're talking about 1st team though.

Having Brydon, Tulloch and Cameron taking up 3 wages would be silly IMO considering their injury record.

Archived