Berwick Rangers 2015/16

The sooner we forget about last season the better. Onwards and Upwards.

Some discussion points:

- I for one can't wait to see the new kit(s?). I've heard the home kit is returning to stripes but will it be big stripes, small stripes or medium stripes?

- Will we sign Kyle Wilkie permanently? Despite the cry for local, hard working players he has put in as much effort as anyone since his arrival. Sign him up.

- Pre season friendlies. Someone different would be nice.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok. Will just assume Cameron is in charge.

I like those who have signed. Would add Wilkie and Willis and give Gold another chance.

Would play Notman At right back next season. His aerial cover would give an extra dimension to the defence too.

We would need to sign an experienced keeper, a left back, 2 centre-mids (one a proven leader on the pitch, a right winger and 2 forwards.

Would like some decent friendlies away from home too, the return of the Ducket fence (yawn) and some decent and regular info on the website.

With no robbie who will come in As asst . It's all about the supporters !!!!! Aye right . What's the script for next season . 4 loanies from cowden and a mediocre season . Hope the club set out stall early cos even the old timers who watch through thick and thin. Are gettin sick of it . Not bemoaning anybody by the way but let's get last years mistakes sorted . There's money available and its time to get the people of this fine town backing the team . To whom it may concern ............ We are the dream team!!!!!!

Hibs, Ashington/Bedlington more dross and more dross confirmed as the pre season DD continues.

Please let's get us prepared versus different opposition!

A huge huge season coming up. A bad start and we just might see crowds dipping to 1985 to 89 mark again.

Hibs, Ashington/Bedlington more dross and more dross confirmed as the pre season DD continues.

Please let's get us prepared versus different opposition!

A huge huge season coming up. A bad start and we just might see crowds dipping to 1985 to 89 mark again.

I went in 1985 and don't think there was ever 89 like...

Ok. Will just assume Cameron is in charge.

I like those who have signed. Would add Wilkie and Willis and give Gold another chance.

Would play Notman At right back next season. His aerial cover would give an extra dimension to the defence too.

We would need to sign an experienced keeper, a left back, 2 centre-mids (one a proven leader on the pitch, a right winger and 2 forwards.

What a great post.... the man talks sense. Good analysis; and verging on positive; unlike the majority of moaning negative "ooh let's have more locals" parochial half-wits on here.

Redcar gets it spot on. Assume you envisage Drummond playing left midfield, hence the need for a new left-back? We definitely need some pace. With the 5 signings we've made already, if Willis and Wilkie can be added, that leaves 4 first team slots available. That's the minimum number of new faces needed to freshen up the squad and instil hope that we can make a real impact next season. We can debate the manager's position all day long but the bottom line is he's got another season on his contract, so we have to hope that he can make better use of the resources available to him.

As for the "local laddies" nonsense, before Johnny Fairbairn, there was Martin Neil (and Dougie Brydon, all too briefly). That's how thick on the ground quality local footballers are - one comes along maybe every 5-6 years if we're lucky. In the modern era, Berwick Rangers have always got their players from Edinburgh and the Lothians, plus a few from Fife, Glasgow and the NE. If we have a team with lots of locals in it, then we're playing in the Lowland League or EOS.

It's population as well, Berwick hasn't got the quantity of kids playing footy to pick from.

The however however is, maybe if there was a route for young players and I mean young, starting at say U8s and they and their parents could see a path towards the first team, maybe a few more 'local laddies' could be found but it wouldn't happen overnight

It's population as well, Berwick hasn't got the quantity of kids playing footy to pick from.

The however however is, maybe if there was a route for young players and I mean young, starting at say U8s and they and their parents could see a path towards the first team, maybe a few more 'local laddies' could be found but it wouldn't happen overnight

Agree with this. The facilities in the town are shocking which is also going to hold kids back.

As I said recently, in an ideal world I'd like to see the speedway go, a 3G pitch next to the main stand and a couple small terraces behind the goals. New changing rooms could be built for using the pitch and as a base for the juniors and the more compact ground would cost less in upkeep. Probably a pipe dream though.

Agree with this. The facilities in the town are shocking which is also going to hold kids back.

As I said recently, in an ideal world I'd like to see the speedway go, a 3G pitch next to the main stand and a couple small terraces behind the goals. New changing rooms could be built for using the pitch and as a base for the juniors and the more compact ground would cost less in upkeep. Probably a pipe dream though.

We should be aiming towards a set-up much like Forfar Athletic. State of the art 3G pitch, nice terraces the whole way round the pitch. Through the week the pitch is available to absolutely anyone who requires a game / training such as local youth teams, schools and the universities (I know there isn't a university close by in Berwick) but still schools could use it along with local teams. There is separate changing rooms also. For a small town like Forfar, much the same size as Berwick, and they are challenging up at the top of league 1. This should be our aim!

We should be aiming towards a set-up much like Forfar Athletic. State of the art 3G pitch, nice terraces the whole way round the pitch. Through the week the pitch is available to absolutely anyone who requires a game / training such as local youth teams, schools and the universities (I know there isn't a university close by in Berwick) but still schools could use it along with local teams. There is separate changing rooms also. For a small town like Forfar, much the same size as Berwick, and they are challenging up at the top of league 1. This should be our aim!

Totally agree. Annan are another team who do well on this front. I know our location doesn't help, but still.

It is there already, Berwick Juniors, but the club do not seem to give a shit about engaging with them. Jonny Fairbairn turned up at last year's end of season awards, Ian Little couldn't be arsed the year before. U/10s train on Ivinson pitch which is cut about 4 times a year as they aren't allowed on Old Shielfield!

How about some of the Hibs money used as an olive branch to restore links which should be there in the first place?

U/10s train on Ivinson pitch which is cut about 4 times a year as they aren't allowed on Old Shielfield! How about some of the Hibs money used as an olive branch to restore links which should be there in the first place?

Your username explains it, surely!

Ivinson is poor to train on though, as per your reasoning. It's currently a carpet due to the Dutch exchange. I assume it's council land and that's why it's very poorly tended to? Even when it's cut there's usually a ton of cut grass left on there.

It would be nice to see the club put something back into the local community football-wise but I'm unsure how the parties would go about it to be honest. I think it's now at the stage where if you were gonna do anything, it'd need to be something that has the ability to overhaul and sustain it for the long term. I think that's why setting a longer-term goal of a plastic pitch and ground improvements would be nice - it isn't just an opportunity to improve our facilities. But we're yet to see any plans or intent/indication like that from the club, so who knows what will happen to the money. I can't help but feel we're gonna have the biggest 'rainy day' fund in Scotland by 2020.

Archived