Berwick Rangers 2015/16

There are really 3 aspects to things.

In the short-term you've got next season, the need to recruit players to do better than we've managed this season.

In the mid-term you've got the next few seasons, the need to build-up a squad to consistently do better than we've managed the last few seasons (and develop young players within that) and build crowds. In that respect things like the full-time manager, youth systems and facilities at Shielfield factor in.

In the long-term the question is more fundamental. What sort of scale is the club going to be operating at (involves money and people and that involves income generation and community involvement). What sort of facilities and where (3G parks and new stadiums). Who will own it and how will it be run. Etc. etc.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not getting this whole situation whereby we can't match wages.

Last season we reportedly offered Ian Black £800 a week, where is that money?

The "rainy day fund" that we've all talked about for the last few years, where is that?

Also, I see Eyemouth Juniors have begun a fundraising campaign for £500,000 towards 4G facilities. Eyemouth Juniors.

As far as I'm aware, a private individual was going to pay most of Blacks wages.

In my opinion the club should be aiming to break even, not dipping into a rainy day fund to pay for wages we wouldn't otherwise be able to afford. And certainly not in May. Want to spend more on players, raise more revenue like any normal business.

I've no idea what the relevance of the Eyemouth Juniors thing is.

That's been the case for the past 8/9 years and look how that's worked out for us.....

Don't you study finance? Surely you should be able to realise how ridiculous you sound suggesting the club put its own existence at risk by pissing away money on league two players because Clyde have made some good signings.

Get a grasp of reality. The club are investing some of the rainy day fund to try identify where they can also get returns. Whether it be Shielfield Rocks, the community foundation or something else, I assume all the extra income streams being added are designed to help find the most fruitful way of sustaining Berwick as a club.

Choosing to put that money into part time league two footballers instead, something that doesn't even guarantee success on the park and could be poisonous, would be the most irresponsible board level management I've seen during my time supporting the club and that says something.

It makes far more sense to investigate and exploit different revenue streams in an attempt to be able to compete with or even outspend other clubs, and actually make it viable, than it is simply to piss the funds away because we have em. What happens in 3 seasons when the fund runs out? If it's gone well we're in a better division with players demanding wages we can no longer afford and we'd be back to square one.

Don't you study finance? Surely you should be able to realise how ridiculous you sound suggesting the club put its own existence at risk by pissing away money on league two players .

Didn't say that at all. I'm not saying go wild. In recent years it has been 100% focus on bank balance making money like a business, and now that we are in a healthy position we should take advantage of this and make use of it. Where has all that cup and Rangers money gone ?

League 2 is going to be the most competitive it has been in years and currently I see us finishing about 8th. Got to speculate to accumulate.

I've no idea what the relevance of the Eyemouth Juniors thing is.

They're closer to securing the facilities and revenue stream than we are.

If they get it up and running before us, they'll take potential customers away from us.

Didn't say that at all. I'm not saying go wild. In recent years it has been 100% focus on bank balance making money like a business, and now that we are in a healthy position we should take advantage of this and make use of it. Where has all that cup and Rangers money gone ?

League 2 is going to be the most competitive it has been in years and currently I see us finishing about 8th. Got to speculate to accumulate.

You say that but I'm sure it was only a couple of years ago we had one of the biggest budgets in the league around the end of the Yano and during CC eras. I understand you want to see us take advantage of the position we're in, but doing that isn't necessarily by spending it on players.

Taking advantage of a healthy financial position for me is investing the money we do have in finding ways to increase revenue, not make necessarily profit, so that we are sustainable and have a viable model going forward if we're going to compete with other clubs or even outspend them.

What you're hoping for has no real longer term consideration. Yes we may do something on the park which we'd all love (not to say that it's impossible that it could happen under current budgeting etc though it does look more unlikely than with mega spending), but without a shadow of a doubt we'd have to rebuild again only a few years down the line because we hadn't laid viable foundations down to provide the financial support to maintain any success we may (or may not) have had.

I doubt the money has gone anywhere. I find our utter stagnation on the park over the past decade as frustrating as anyone, but I'd rather the club used the past 10 years as a lesson than fall into the exact same traps just because the money is in the bank at that time. We're in a good position but we could be in a far better one if we work out how to increase revenue annually. There's been a heavy focus on saving to balance the books in the past 10 years. I expect the next few years at least to be focused more on investment, speculating to accumulate. It isn't as basic as win the league and sponsors will flock, sadly, and even if it was, we'd bottle the league. There'll be calculated risk as the club try to work out how to step away from being reliant on the luck of the draw. I'm happy with that provided we're still competitive.

It may look like we're not going to be competitive at the minute but again, players contracts haven't even expired yet. Calm down.

As for the sponsor, I'm trying!

How much for my face on the front?

I'm not the man to name prices. However if the club were to sell their souls and allow this to happen, I certainly wouldn't hold it against Hendo if he were to stick his studs in the gut of the first Berwick player he entered a 50/50 with.

I don't want to take focus away from the excellent discussion we have going about the club's finances and future, but I've been having a bit o' trouble and hope you guys might point me in the right direction. I've been trying to get this season's kit recently, after failing to get the 14/15 top this time last year, but the pickings on eBay are slim, the clubshop on the official website is down (maybe having a fully functional online shop would help with increasing the club's revenue), and the club hasn't responded to a mail I sent them.

Any other places I could try? I'm obviously nowhere near Berwick, and I'd like to wear a top when I leave to Singapore for half a year in July.

I don't want to take focus away from the excellent discussion we have going about the club's finances and future, but I've been having a bit o' trouble and hope you guys might point me in the right direction. I've been trying to get this season's kit recently, after failing to get the 14/15 top this time last year, but the pickings on eBay are slim, the clubshop on the official website is down (maybe having a fully functional online shop would help with increasing the club's revenue), and the club hasn't responded to a mail I sent them.

Any other places I could try? I'm obviously nowhere near Berwick, and I'd like to wear a top when I leave to Singapore for half a year in July.

I help out with the OS. We're hoping to launch a new online store shortly (the old one broke the official site for a while) but then we have been saying that for the last 6 weeks. It ceraianly isn't far off completion and we're hoping to have it up before Euro 2016 starts, but it all depends on finding the time to get together first so wouldn't take it as gospel.  As for your personal want, I believe the club are out of stock as mentioned, and even if the club shop launches, I highly doubt the club will be receiving new kits with a new main sponsor on prior to July - though they'd perhaps send it to you in Singapore when they do get stock?

The OS has been giving us bother for a while now, knock-on effects from the shop knackering it are still occuring, even basic features like adding pictures in news items or automatic FB/Twitter sharing of news items have broken. It's a constant battle trying to sort out the issues but hopefully they'll be sorted by the new season.

I help out with the OS. We're hoping to launch a new online store shortly (the old one broke the official site for a while) but then we have been saying that for the last 6 weeks. It ceraianly isn't far off completion and we're hoping to have it up before Euro 2016 starts, but it all depends on finding the time to get together first so wouldn't take it as gospel.  As for your personal want, I believe the club are out of stock as mentioned, and even if the club shop launches, I highly doubt the club will be receiving new kits with a new main sponsor on prior to July - though they'd perhaps send it to you in Singapore when they do get stock?

The OS has been giving us bother for a while now, knock-on effects from the shop knackering it are still occuring, even basic features like adding pictures in news items or automatic FB/Twitter sharing of news items have broken. It's a constant battle trying to sort out the issues but hopefully they'll be sorted by the new season.

Thanks for the headsup, plenty helpful (and a valuable insight  into the behind the scenes running of  the place), guess I'm pretty much out of luck. Wouldn't prefer to have a kit sent to Singapore due to the bloated postal costs compared to if I have it sent to the Netherlands.

There are really 3 aspects to things.

In the short-term you've got next season, the need to recruit players to do better than we've managed this season.

In the mid-term you've got the next few seasons, the need to build-up a squad to consistently do better than we've managed the last few seasons (and develop young players within that) and build crowds. In that respect things like the full-time manager, youth systems and facilities at Shielfield factor in.

In the long-term the question is more fundamental. What sort of scale is the club going to be operating at (involves money and people and that involves income generation and community involvement). What sort of facilities and where (3G parks and new stadiums). Who will own it and how will it be run. Etc. etc.

See that middle bit, a certain local man tried to get the board to believe in this when he applied for the manager role and they were not the least bit interested in it so what makes anyone believe that this might have changed under the Lenny regime?

• 2 months later...

Archived