The Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2015

Think it's fair to say all our players so far have been hit and miss. Liam Watt, O'Neill, Cox, Parry and the central defenders have been fairly consistent, Sumsky, Morgan, van Zanten, McBride have been rotten. Cadden seems promising. Prunty, Morton, McAleer and Fitzpatrick havent played much but coulddo much better. Smith looked ok before his injury but awful 2 games back. Bain is now largely irrelevant.

We could do with a left back in place of van Zanten but desperately need 2 strikers who CAN score goals.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think it's fair to say all our players so far have been hit and miss. Liam Watt, O'Neill, Cox, Parry and the central defenders have been fairly consistent, Sumsky, Morgan, van Zanten, McBride have been rotten. Cadden seems promising. Prunty, Morton, McAleer and Fitzpatrick havent played much but coulddo much better. Smith looked ok before his injury but awful 2 games back. Bain is now largely irrelevant.

We could do with a left back in place of van Zanten but desperately need 2 strikers who CAN score goals.

Funny how you've highlighted pretty much the same weak players you shot me down for. But dont let that stop you thinking you know more than everyone else.....

I'm not a big fan of Parry. I think his positioning is suspect, don't trust him at cross balls and his distribution is almost laughably woeful. He can be a decent shot stopper but we've had better, though we've also had much worse.

The defence is far too immobile. The two CB's are interested in nothing other than punting it as far as they can. Should be good enough for this level but they've been caught out of position too many times and far too easily allow players in behind them. O'Neill is far from the finished article and Van Zanten is plain finished. Bain seems to regress year on year and perhaps it's time for him to move on.

Sumsky and McBride were meant to bring in the much needed quality to the middle of the park. Sumsky has done nothing, McBride has done plenty - though it mostly looks like it's been at the pie stall. Fitzpatrick is fairly solid though clearly limited. Liam Watt is frustrating insomuch as he can clearly beat a man but his final ball is terrible. Cadden does have promise, though I'm not so sure about Scott Stewart. I don't think McAleer is the answer, couldn't get a game at East Fife, stepped up a level and guess what?

Morgan - god love him - is a trier, he's just not very good. Pruntys best has been and gone, though if fit, he's be a certain starter. I don't think we'll ever see Lister back to his best either.

Now Cox, (and I'm no relation, nor am I his wife), I think he's been our best player this year. Not going to get involved in the "headless chicken" debate as he clearly offers much more than that.

As I've said ad infinitum, we desperately need quality in the middle. Someone like a Scott Fraser that can get their foot on the ball, make passes and find space. I'd get rid of Sumsky, Morgan, DVZ, McBride and McAleer and go all out to bring in that quality. I'd not be too averse to bringing in some of the younger strikers who'll have no fear and maybe deserve a shot ahead of the likes of Morgan.

My issue with the squad this year is that Bollan seems to have gone for quantity rather than quality. And whilst it's easy in hindsight, I, and a few others, said exactly this before we kicked a ball, that we seemed to have around 20 1st team players yet no actual strong starting 11. You could play any of our squad and I don't think it would strengthen or weaken the team much. If you look at how Ayr put their team together they hand picked positions that needed strenghtening and got the player for each position. We just seem to have signed a bunch of players with little plan.

We have 3 right backs and no left backs.

We have 3 wingers yet until November we played with, at most, one winger, often none. So why sign 3? Particularly when he likes to play Cox there, so almost 4 wingers. Cadden and Morton look identical players to me, one would have done.

He signed Fitzpatrick, McBride and Smith who all play sitting midfield, again, 2 would have done.

Creighton and Lithgow I think are decent signings, yet if one gets injured who have we got to play there?

Once Lister is back we'll have 5 strikers, 6 if you include Sumsky who's neither here nor there. Complete overkill again.

The squad just seems so unbalanced, some areas where we have loads of players (although still none that are any good), and other areas where we are really short - left back, attacking midfield.

Instead of frittering away all this money on average squad filler could we not have just gone for a smaller good quality squad of 13-14 players, a few youths and a couple of loanees of needed?

Seriously? Hahaha his long balls up the park are shocking he tries it every week and it just doesn't work. It was his fault for the first goal on sat I don't think there's been any stand out players. Nicky cadden seems good look forward to see him play more

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril

If you watch us, you'd see that the 'midfield' is non existent, and a headless chicken up top. What exactly do you want him to do? He does a job and does it fairly well imo

My issue with the squad this year is that Bollan seems to have gone for quantity rather than quality. And whilst it's easy in hindsight, I, and a few others, said exactly this before we kicked a ball, that we seemed to have around 20 1st team players yet no actual strong starting 11. You could play any of our squad and I don't think it would strengthen or weaken the team much. If you look at how Ayr put their team together they hand picked positions that needed strenghtening and got the player for each position. We just seem to have signed a bunch of players with little plan.

We have 3 right backs and no left backs.

We have 3 wingers yet until November we played with, at most, one winger, often none. So why sign 3? Particularly when he likes to play Cox there, so almost 4 wingers. Cadden and Morton look identical players to me, one would have done.

He signed Fitzpatrick, McBride and Smith who all play sitting midfield, again, 2 would have done.

Creighton and Lithgow I think are decent signings, yet if one gets injured who have we got to play there?

Once Lister is back we'll have 5 strikers, 6 if you include Sumsky who's neither here nor there. Complete overkill again.

The squad just seems so unbalanced, some areas where we have loads of players (although still none that are any good), and other areas where we are really short - left back, attacking midfield.

Instead of frittering away all this money on average squad filler could we not have just gone for a smaller good quality squad of 13-14 players, a few youths and a couple of loanees of needed?

EXACTLY this!

Would have imagined it was a 50/50 between keeping him or Watt last season and Watt is better. Plus his final ball is absolutely terrible. Not the player we need.

Watts final ball isn't any better.

Watt is a couple of years younger than Blockley is, so he might improve on the aspects of his game that are lacking. Blockley, I think, is as good as he's going to get. Nathan's great at breaking up play in the middle, scrapping for loose balls and even chipping in with the odd goal, and I always appreciated how he kept going even when the team was playing terribly; but what we need is someone more in the mould of a Scott Fraser, a Craig Barr or a Ross Docherty - someone who can pass, who can think a bit and therefore dominate the midfield. Someone who can give a bit of drive going forward. Those three examples show Bollan can spot such a player - doing so again may help to keep in him a job.

His loan signings are a major disappointment just not up to the same standard as previous i.e. Fraser the lad from rangers big Lindsey from thistle, and picking up Docherty. It's all went wrong in that department, and why can't McBride get into the team got plenty of top flight experience if nothing else.

His loan signings are a major disappointment just not up to the same standard as previous i.e. Fraser the lad from rangers big Lindsey from thistle, and picking up Docherty. It's all went wrong in that department, and why can't McBride get into the team got plenty of top flight experience if nothing else.

He has plenty of experience yes but needs a really solid player next to him who can really close down the opposition as he is just to slow and predicable on the defensive side of things and is easily bypassed, and his passing hasn't been great when he has played, makes it very difficult for him to secure a place in a team that is struggling because essentially he is a luxury player.

He has plenty of experience yes but needs a really solid player next to him who can really close down the opposition as he is just to slow and predicable on the defensive side of things and is easily bypassed, and his passing hasn't been great when he has played, makes it very difficult for him to secure a place in a team that is struggling because essentially he is a luxury player.

Why not play Fitzpatrick left back would like to see watt and McBride think it may work ! Probably not but can't be any worse

Archived