The Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2015

I think if we signed a good centre-back to partner either Crighton or Lithgow, they would benefit from that. Much like BRE played much better with Gasparotto next to him - and the Dunfermline fans seem to rate him this year as well. I've no idea how good Gorman is, I've never seen him play. Might he play that role?

Given that Gorman was signed by the same folk that picked Faria over Watt, regularly play Mackin over Lister and Prunty, and DFerguson over O'Neill and Bain, and let our crowds fall to Albion Rovers level, do you have a lot of confidence? His last Irish club needed him big time in his last game for them but he was sent off after 8 mins and they were relegated that day. He then lasted 3 games in a january trial at Maidstone. He may well be a great player as I'm not expecting much.

Reading between the lines, your post on Slothgow and Crighton suggests you also think something is missing from them, most likely in an organisational sense. Young McIntosh made the bench on Sunday, do we want a promising young player ruined by them?

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're going to get a lot of stories drip out of the club in the next week or so. It's going to a wrench for some seeing their favourites go but there's a bigger plan in place that, listening to TW and IK, is well thought out.

My only gripe with them, and I'd certainly hope they'd see it too, is that this year has almost looked like a science experiment, we've all wasted our ST on a team and staff that haven't really been trying in a lot of games. Crowds have fallen again, that should never have happened and should never happen again.

We need to give the club space now to do their thing and deliver their vision. There could be decisions that baffle and dismay us (should be less seismic than our 2 best players going already).

How's that for sensible?

You no doubt could. But would you?

Apart from it looking to sound bitter against what's happened with David, if I thought it would be of any benefit to anyone then I would. But the "spin" put out from the club and then believed isn't worth it. I came away from that Q&A night bemused put it that way and sounds like they've changed their standpoint on some of their plans stated that night already.

It's their plans to change, which is fair enough. But it seems to be they do so regardless of what statements are made and what's said to people directly.

P.s poor watty takes a hit again in that podcast 😕

We're going to get a lot of stories drip out of the club in the next week or so. It's going to a wrench for some seeing their favourites go but there's a bigger plan in place that, listening to TW and IK, is well thought out.

My only gripe with them, and I'd certainly hope they'd see it too, is that this year has almost looked like a science experiment, we've all wasted our ST on a team and staff that haven't really been trying in a lot of games. Crowds have fallen again, that should never have happened and should never happen again.

We need to give the club space now to do their thing and deliver their vision. There could be decisions that baffle and dismay us (should be less seismic than our 2 best players going already).

How's that for sensible?

Very sensible from u! I genuinely do hope their vision works out, for the fans and the guys who are putting everything in to this. The opportunity of full time footy is something which will mean loads to guys who've dreamed of playing since they were kids. Personally I know that that's a sore point for David, he was really keen. But hopefully, for all involved it works out well

Very sensible from u! I genuinely do hope their vision works out, for the fans and the guys who are putting everything in to this. The opportunity of full time footy is something which will mean loads to guys who've dreamed of playing since they were kids. Personally I know that that's a sore point for David, he was really keen. But hopefully, for all involved it works out well

I really dont understand about David tbh, especially if he wanted the f/t gig.

I really dont understand about David tbh, especially if he wanted the f/t gig.

"No player is bigger than the team" as said re Liam, that statement echos with me but my view, biased or not, was that david had something to offer and playing full time again would have totally pleased him and hopefully benefitted the team/club. Hey ho....

I'm coming to the thinking that the team will be extremely young. We've sold Watt (16), Allan (15) and Coogans (17) for real money.

Thinking thats the gameplan?

That's the impression I've got. As long as they're good enough to play in a promotion winning team, and have some experience playing alongside them, then it's a good plan. Although the experience that we've signed this year, McBride and Faria, have been total guff so that is concerning.

It's been clear for some time that TW's vision is of a side that generates a conveyor belt of talent which he's able to sell on for profit. For the time being, it would appear that his team is not convinced that we've got the talent pool in our sides at all levels so we'll be looking at younger lads rejected by bigger clubs, or lads like Gorman who've perhaps "lost their way a little". Again, not too bad a plan.

However, trying to sell fans season tickets on that basis is a tough gig. While fans want to see homegrown players play well and make the club a success, there's absolutely no doubt that they need experience alongside. Unfortunately the experience we have, i.e. Faria, has been a massive disappointment and will hardly have folk queuing round the block to part with £260.

As I've said, I like many on the park it would seem, have written off this season. I have to be honest and say that I've not really missed the football as it's been eye bleeding and mind numbing. Will I get another season book? Maybe, but I might be more inclined to pick and choose my games. 

Perhaps this will make me less of a fan in some folks eyes but I don't really give a f**k.

It's been clear for some time that TW's vision is of a side that generates a conveyor belt of talent which he's able to sell on for profit. For the time being, it would appear that his team is not convinced that we've got the talent pool in our sides at all levels so we'll be looking at younger lads rejected by bigger clubs, or lads like Gorman who've perhaps "lost their way a little". Again, not too bad a plan.

However, trying to sell fans season tickets on that basis is a tough gig. While fans want to see homegrown players play well and make the club a success, there's absolutely no doubt that they need experience alongside. Unfortunately the experience we have, i.e. Faria, has been a massive disappointment and will hardly have folk queuing round the block to part with £260.

As I've said, I like many on the park it would seem, have written off this season. I have to be honest and say that I've not really missed the football as it's been eye bleeding and mind numbing. Will I get another season book? Maybe, but I might be more inclined to pick and choose my games.

Perhaps this will make me less of a fan in some folks eyes but I don't really give a f**k.

Makes you sound absolutely spot on

I'm coming to the thinking that the team will be extremely young. We've sold Watt (16), Allan (15) and Coogans (17) for real money.

Thinking thats the gameplan?

Not your usual "out of the box" thinking but Is this not what virtually every team in Scotland is trying to do, albeit in different ways.

That's the impression I've got. As long as they're good enough to play in a promotion winning team, and have some experience playing alongside them, then it's a good plan. Although the experience that we've signed this year, McBride and Faria, have been total guff so that is concerning.

McBride was the worst signing wasn't fit and won't play for us again.

Anyone got a link for the podcast with king having a moan about watt?. I still don't get it anyone knows Liam even little knows he's the type of boy to get his head down and work hard hardly a trouble maker.

Go to Dunfermline Podcast thread, the interview starts 22mins in

There was no moan. Apparently didn't want to sign and was speaking to Livi and decision took to send him out on loan. That's football, such a furore over a bang average player. Nice player on the ball but couldn't head, tackle and can't run.

Archived