The Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2015

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who is this Diamonds Are Red? Another insider?

8)

Interesting first post Diamonds Are Red.

"TW said not so very long ago that he and the stadium owners are miles apart on a figure but by all accounts this isn't going to happen very soon"

Whose accounts and how far apart are they?

To quote Tom Wotherspoon:-

"Until such times as this football club has its own home it’s very difficult to build a community around Airdrieonians FC.

Circumstances mean the stadium company has one set of priorities and the club has others and never the twain shall meet.

We set out every year to limit the amount of money we spend and they set out to earn as much as they can.

The aims and the objectives of the two parties are so different even though we try hard to work together.

I want to buy the stadium, that’s a logical objective but the other party has to be willing to sell and that’s not even close to being on the table.

We just have to work within the situation we are in."

Hugo Faria and Scott Stewart need to be as far from the team as humanly possibly, truly woeful players! Fed up of this "new way of playing" already, need to play with the squad we have and that means Prunty and Lister up front in a 4-4-2!

Faria was a contender for Man of the Match for me. Nobody ever said he was a flashy footballer with bags of skill and a few tricks up his sleeve. His job is to make tackles and break up the play which is what he done on more than a few occasions. Stewart just ran around like a headless chicken chasing the ball and his first touch is terrible. And it isn't really a 4-4-2 as Prunty is basically playing in the midfield.

Hugo Faria and Scott Stewart need to be as far from the team as humanly possibly, truly woeful players! Fed up of this "new way of playing" already, need to play with the squad we have and that means Prunty and Lister up front in a 4-4-2!

Faria and Thompson have to be the two midfielders in that 4-4-2, Fitzpatrick should be nowhere near the starting XI. 

Watch Scott Stewart get a full time contract.

Faria was a contender for Man of the Match for me. Nobody ever said he was a flashy footballer with bags of skill and a few tricks up his sleeve. His job is to make tackles and break up the play which is what he done on more than a few occasions. Stewart just ran around like a headless chicken chasing the ball and his first touch is terrible. And it isn't really a 4-4-2 as Prunty is basically playing in the midfield.

You must have been at a different game than me mate, Faria just edged out Scott Stewart and Fitzpatrick for worst performance of the night. I never seen him at Dunfermline but from the other games I've seen him in I have to say I'm not overly impressed. He constantly gave the ball away tonight and his passing was woeful.

Funny how people see things differently. In my opinion Faria is just about our best player. He does a necessary job. Just look at the improvement in the defence since we arrived(Stenhousemuir excepted where we had only 10 men')

Funny how people see things differently. In my opinion Faria is just about our best player. He does a necessary job. Just look at the improvement in the defence since we arrived(Stenhousemuir excepted where we had only 10 men')

Suppose it's all about opinions, for me he gave the ball away far to easily tonight and looks too lethargic and slow

The boy Faria looks awful whenever I have seen clip, live against the pars or in person against us. Fitzpatrick is clearly a better player.

Faria dithered on the ball and whilst did a lot of chasing, he was second to a lot of balls tonight. Having said that, he's better than our 'captain' Fitzpatrick. I really cannot believe he is captain when his own game is so poor. He can't pass, tackle or win a header. A wasted of a jersey in my opinion. As someone wake mentioned, I'd rather go 442 and drop Fitzpatrick in place of Prunty upfront.

The boy Faria looks awful whenever I have seen clip, live against the pars or in person against us. Fitzpatrick is clearly a better player.

I hope Ayr go up through the play-offs so we don't have to put up with you next season.

Why is it we go away from home and play football on poor surfaces like Cliftonhill, Cowdenbeath and Brechin yet when we play at home on a true surface we insist on playing the long ball?

I think we're just going to limp on to the end of the season with Jennow and McBride in charge and then reassess the situation with EWB

Faria's biggest problem last night was that once he won the ball, he then played himself back in to trouble again. 4 or 5 times. But in general I like him, he was also elbowed in the face at the first corner they had after a few minutes and never got himself sent off for retaliation which I thought was a real possibility.

Fitz was pretty bad last night, should have been subbed off, and Prunty was wasted in the position he was asked to play.

But my real whinge is why we feel the need to throw almost every throw-in to Lister. He had 3 players on him at every throw-in last night, we should have just went short and kept possession, unless using the long throw at their 18 yard box (I'm not always convinced by this either). When we kept possession and played the ball on the deck we were murdering them, but kept reverting to long balls. Drives me crazy, and Forfar deserved to win.

The long throws at every opportunity needs to stop. It means 9 times out of 10 you are quite literally throwing away possession to the other team. As a result we find it really hard to build up any sustained pressure. You'll have a decent passing move, win a throw in near the corner and then we launch it into the box, it's headed away and booted up the park and you're back to square one. It was fair enough against Dundee Utd in the cup, or other significantly better teams, because that's probably our best chance of scoring. Against sides in our own division you've got to be doing better than that.

Too obvious Deek.

Faria is clearly better than Fitzpatrick but that's no real praise. He can look aged and slow but he breaks up play well. The problem we have is that him and Fitzpatrick do a similar job and we've had nothing ahead of them (Thomson aside). There's frequently 50 yards between them and Lister resulting in shite long balls which aren't controlled or Lister getting caught offside as he knows he can't outpace defenders and goes early.

For me, the management team should chuck the 'philosophy' this season and play what we know works - Lister/Prunty partnership. The team will be decimated at the end of the season anyway so the few remaining players can adapt to the 'philosophy' next season.

I've said it before but we really need to adapt to the tools that we've got, and the league we play in. One up top against most of the shite in this league is criminal.

Too obvious Deek.

Faria is clearly better than Fitzpatrick but that's no real praise. He can look aged and slow but he breaks up play well. The problem we have is that him and Fitzpatrick do a similar job and we've had nothing ahead of them (Thomson aside). There's frequently 50 yards between them and Lister resulting in shite long balls which aren't controlled or Lister getting caught offside as he knows he can't outpace defenders and goes early.

For me, the management team should chuck the 'philosophy' this season and play what we know works - Lister/Prunty partnership. The team will be decimated at the end of the season anyway so the few remaining players can adapt to the 'philosophy' next season.

I've said it before but we really need to adapt to the tools that we've got, and the league we play in. One up top against most of the shite in this league is criminal.

Agree with the full post.

Guest LonglivetheKING
  That would be the game he missed due to suspension?
The long throws at every opportunity needs to stop. It means 9 times out of 10 you are quite literally throwing away possession to the other team. As a result we find it really hard to build up any sustained pressure. You'll have a decent passing move, win a throw in near the corner and then we launch it into the box, it's headed away and booted up the park and you're back to square one. It was fair enough against Dundee Utd in the cup, or other significantly better teams, because that's probably our best chance of scoring. Against sides in our own division you've got to be doing better than that.
Of course Cadden's goal against Forfar wasn't a direct result of along throw?

Archived