I'd be offering full - time deals to:

Ferguson

O'Neil

Crighton

Cadden

Watt

Cox

Prunty

I believe Parry, Lithgow and Lister all have decent jobs outside football and so probably wouldn't be willing to go full - time (though this based simply on hearsay so could be inaccurate) while Fitzpatrick left Morton a couple of years ago to go part - time and I wouldn't offer him a deal anyway.

I've never been a big fan of Stewart but you're right to suggest he could get better (like Cadden) although he also easily may not. A spell on loan where he gets consistent starts for a season would probably do him good and would be a decent indication of whether he'll make it or not.

That would leave us with a young squad which would make the other signings important. It's crucial that we bring in some decent, experienced players to help the young players and to ultimately be successful. It was a bit concerning to hear that we wouldn't be paying any more in wages than we are now. What's the attraction then for good full - time players to come to us? I'd rather have the best part - time players than the worst full - time ones. The last few full - time Airdrie teams were awful and we certainly don't want any players of that calibre again. But offer a pittance of a wage and that's what you'll get.

Faria is already signed up on a full - time deal while Esposito is an unknown entity.

Bain is a useful squad player at this level but wouldn't be fussed either way if he was offered a deal or not.

What I understood is that the overall wage-bill won't be much higher - we'll be running with a smaller squad, rather than a large part-time one.

Agreed re: putting Stewart out on loan.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't compare the last full time team we had with the one we will have next season. It's a totally different situation. We'll only have 2 or 3 (4 at a push) experienced pros who I would imagine will be on a decent enough wage then the rest of the squad will be made up by young guys on a relatively low wage.

The squad from a few years back was put together on a season to season basis whereas this is a longer term project. Anyone who expects success right away should lower their expectations.

At the end of the day, it will come down to money. The chairman wants young players starting out In their careers training full time on similar wages to what they're on just now. The older guys will not be prepared to give up their day jobs unless the chairman is prepared to pay them enough to enable them to do that.

Think you are spot on there, the idea is admirable but in practice while you may get young boys to accept poor wages in order to try & make a career for themselves in the game with the possibility of a move & good money at the end of it by the time players are in their early twenties if they have not made it then they need to start & think of what they are going to do in the longer term. Part time suits a lot of players where a regular wage from a job that they could be in for many years is supplemented by income from football while they are playing. Its a bold move but would need backed from the chairmans wallet unless crowds increased by at least 2 or 3 the amount you get just now will be interesting to see how it works out.

I think the concept is to try to attract the best young players to the club by being seen to offer them first team opportunities and one of the best training facilities in the country. Couple that with the admission we are a selling club, then young talented players know that we can be used as a stepping stone to further their careers.

At the moment we don't (and didn't) have those 'carrots', so the perceived quality of full time players we could get/attract was directly related to the money we would pay. ie bottom end.

There is no guarantee that we will be able to attract, develop and sell good young players, but in all honesty it's got to be worth a try.

I watched TW's interview last night (whole match available on iplayer now for anybody interested) and I must say I was very impressed with how he came across.

His evident passion and belief in his plan for the club is contagious. Trying not to get too carried away here but certainly seems like exciting times for all involved in the club.

In my time supporting the club I don't think I've seen us "compete" in the Championship.

And despite my previous reservations about EWB and his distinctly average start as manager he also came across pretty well and it seems like the players think highly of him (well at least Jamie Bain appeared keen on him).

Notice that Paul McMullen has went back to Celtic from his St Mirren loan. Would love to see us try to get him in if possible to help us push for promotion

Promotion this year I think would be terrible. It would be 1 step forward and almost certainly 2 steps back in the long run. Especially if it was achieved due to loan players who will obviously leave at the end of the season. We aren't ready, we need at least a year for them to put these plans in place if we want to go up but more importantly stay up, which is clearly the plan.

Promotion this year I think would be terrible. It would be 1 step forward and almost certainly 2 steps back in the long run. Especially if it was achieved due to loan players who will obviously leave at the end of the season. We aren't ready, we need at least a year for them to put these plans in place if we want to go up but more importantly stay up, which is clearly the plan.

I agree with you on this one, I'd also much rather we went up as champions rather than a play off but if it comes to it a play off will do!

I've never understood why anyone wouldn't want us promoted out the seaside league. Especially with full time coming. With bigger crowds anticipated in the Championship there's more scope for a better budget and the ability to then attract better players. The first season up would then be about consolidating in that league. TW wants promotion, he'd be daft not to.

There's a big jump between League 1 and most of the Championship. If we were to get promoted, the chairman and EWB would have a hell of a decision to make. Do they stick with the plan and play young guys out of their depth, most probably resulting in us struggling badly at the wrong end of the table? Or do they bring in experience which goes against the chairmans philosophy and would inevitably increase the wage bill.

He played a few games for Abroath last season, but I think only a handful of them were starts. He scored both goals against Stenny for EK in the cup a few weeks ago, and another against Lothian Thistle. He's only 21, so he's still got time to improve if there's a player in there.

Archived