The Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2015

The clubs on the up...we all need to support the new board an there plan

Maybe financially we are in a better position,but don't listen to Ian Kings flannel on the website and newsletters about this brilliant academy,IMO the academy under Boyle/Findlay/Brindle is a big act to follow, a few of the players these guys brought through Tony Watt,Jordan Allan,Coogs,Ricky Lamie,Chris O'Neil,Liam Watt,Nicky Cadden, Rohan Ferguson,Scott Stewart to name a few, so if these players are the result of an academy that as IK states wasn't working,I look forward to seeing the players from our new structure , with thousands of pounds at there disposal

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we go full time we can attract better players. If we then play better we attract more fans to return. For years now fans have moaned that the product on the pitch needs to improve before fans will come back. Maybe TW is willing to take that gamble and outlay the funds to back a return to fulltime football in order to bring more fans back.

And if the fans don't come back (and realistically we'd need our support to at least treble) and TW gets bored/loses interest/can't invest any more?

I'm all for the club moving forward and i do back the new bored. My point was really we're right to question things. TW and IK have never run a football club before and whilst absolutely deserve our support we should still be a little cautious.

The whole Bollan situation is a tough one and looking from the outside in you don't really know what went on.

Personally I liked Bollan and didn't think he should go. I felt he was only a couple of players away from his team clicking and I personally had confidence in he'd have found then in the January window. But who know's for sure? It could be argued he should have had them in the summer.

Where I don't agree is he wasn't supported. Bollan himself said that he had a bigger budget to work with than previous years and was looking for promotion. He was given a bit of money but a few of the players he did bring didn’t preform. 

On top of that there has been a lot of stories coming out (take of rumours what you like but there does seem to be a bit of meat to these bones) of Bollan knocking back players both loanees like the Newcastle youth captain and others on more permanent deals before even seeing them in trials. Its been felt that he has been knocking them back because he doesn't want others interfering in his team which on the face of it seems fair enough but the other side of the argument is the club are supposed to be one unit working for a common goal. What's the point in a whole infrastructure with scouts...etc. if you're not willing to work with them? 

The end of the day the directors & boards reputations are on the line. But more than just their reputations Tom Wotherspoon has put a lot of money into the club and if the rumours are true about the club looking at land to build training/youth academy in the town are true is he really going to risk all that continuing to support a manager who doesn't share his vision for taking the club forward? 

EWB is a bit of a unknown quantity to myself and most others. However everyone I've spoken to who know's or have dealt with him have nothing but good things to say about him. There are far too many dead weight managers doing the rounds in Scotland drifting from one job to the other. I'm quite glad the club have broke the mould and taken a bit of a risk. He obviously has a completely different philosophy on how to play the game from Bollan which means its going to take a bit of time to change the team around but I'm quite willing to give him that time and personally I'm quite excited in the direction the club is going. 

Jordan Morton away on loan to Annan.

http://airdriefc.com/news/2016/01/jordanmorton

Hope it works out for him there, really needs some game time just now and wasn't looking likely under EWB or GB before him. I hope he can get a decent run of form together as I think he has the potential to be an excellent player and hopefully can do enough to come back next year.

ETA does this mean that we are potentially bringing in another winger? Cox and Cadden seem to be our only natural wide players so would seem strange to get rid of 2 wingers without someone coming in to fill the gap.

Morton in my opinion was nothing special, he struggled to beat a man, struggled to stand up sometimes. Just my opinion

When he's on his game he's unstoppable and stood out for us on loan in this division. Slightest issue though and he hides. No work ethic to get back into the game so not surprised to see him sliding down the leagues.

With McBride allegedly retiring and Morton now ejected that seems to be my list almost complete. Really only v Zanten left. My shopping list (LB, Defensive cover, Midfielder and lively striker come in. I have a feeling another striker is still on radar too.

Ryan Hardie is allegedly still on our radar.

I like Morton but he hasn't been producing the goods or getting game time this season. Hopefully getting a run of games will do him some good.

So they just get rid of a first team player and not keep him as depth even though he scored 7 goals already this season and pay most of his wages to come to airdrie i dont think that makes much sense do you

i agree it seems a long shot and a other pie and bovril whopper.... but would be good for us if it's true

I know it's a bit off topic but was reading the sun today and seen Hamilton have 288 season ticket holders this year and have played 5 out of the last 8 years in the spl !!! How many give or take do we have ?? And if we got up to the spl what do we think our home crowd would be ?? There's a few teams above us just now we out number and we only have the hardcore witch is slowly growing again !!

Archived