The Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2015

Great point about playing football "the right way". Almost nothing gets my goat about football more than that phrase. There is no "right way" to play football. I couldn't give a flying f**k how Dunfermline played if we won every week. As you say, passing, possession-based football can in fact be utterly tedious and a stupid tactic to use when you have shite players like Airdrie undoubtedly do.

2 1/2 year deal is nothing short of madness and I would be very surprised if this doesn't end in disaster like Booth at Stenny. Although, the league is fucking dreadful again this year so a play-off spot might not be beyond him.

On the face of it 2 and a half years seems crazy, but if you look at it from a wider perspective I don't think they had any choice if they are really serious about trying to promote youth players into the team. Managers aren't going to be patient and give young players time if their contract is up at the end of the season.

Bollan knew his job was on the line at the end of every season, so he wasn't for messing about putting untried youngsters into the team who could be well out their depth and cost him his job. Even if they'd done okay, he wasn't going to be around in 3-4 years to see the real benefits of the risk he took. He went for a mixture of experienced pros and loanees from Premiership clubs who were better than what we had. In that situation unless your young player is exceptional and will make an immediate impact they aren't going to get a chance. I think the board have recognised this and have given EWB a longer contract as a result.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we all realise now that from the minute Wolecki and McBride came in the door ,there objective was to get Bollan out the door,as McBride was the Chairmans big signing, it's obvious now that he was only there to be there dressing room mole, but it's the Chairmans choice who he brings in and although I think it's a disaster, I'm willing to give them both the chance to prove themselves

On the face of it 2 and a half years seems crazy, but if you look at it from a wider perspective I don't think they had any choice if they are really serious about trying to promote youth players into the team. Managers aren't going to be patient and give young players time if their contract is up at the end of the season.

Bollan knew his job was on the line at the end of every season, so he wasn't for messing about putting untried youngsters into the team who could be well out their depth and cost him his job. Even if they'd done okay, he wasn't going to be around in 3-4 years to see the real benefits of the risk he took. He went for a mixture of experienced pros and loanees from Premiership clubs who were better than what we had. In that situation unless your young player is exceptional and will make an immediate impact they aren't going to get a chance. I think the board have recognised this and have given EWB a longer contract as a result.

What happens when the team starts struggling? The Board might say now that they'll keep the faith but if you're toiling near the bottom and crowds are dwindling then are they really not going to sack the guy?

It could be argued that Bollan has been abject failure at Airdrie. Essentially we are no better now than Boyle's team/era. Difference is that Boyle actually did bring in the youth. T.Watt, Donnelly, Allan, Coogans, Cadden, Lamie, L Watt, Blockley, O'Neill... Bollan actually devastated that set up including driving out Findlay who was very good. I've mentioned before about his mishandling of Coogans career costing the in excess of £60k and for what, keegan f'n Parker?

Bollan clearly wasn't on the same page as the new owners but if anything I think theyve far from undermined Bollan. In fact I'd argue that they've given him ample chance to do his job and find his own way. If anything I'd argue that Bollan has undermined them with his unsustainable loanee and veteran stance and putting the new regime back 6 months.

Bollan's era has not done anythimg for our crowds, quite possibly made it worse.

Whether Wotherspoon has made the right personnel choices in King and Black remains to be seen. At the moment I'm not in the slightest bit convinced that they can do it at 1st team level. But they deserve a chance to get on with it. Id have thought it may take years to make the academy work properly, the main priority surely is to remedy the 1st team?

Completely the opposite of the way I see it. Bollan was handed a pile of junk from Boyle. Remember Boyle was that utterly desperate he threw on a 14 y/o in a senior game. Unforgivable. The loanee scheme which you're deriding here is what certainly saved us from dropping to the bottom tier in Bollans first season in charge. It also gave us Fraser last year which, again, had us finishing the season in great form almost hitting the playoff. To suggest that Bollan was a failure when we'd have been struggling against East Stirling in league 2 had Boyle continued is, frankly, laughable. I don't know the circumstances behind the departure of Findlay, but it seems more than coincidental that Findlay left and our new manager quickly stepped into that role.

I agree that Bollan wasn't on the same page as TW, but you're failing to remember that the budget for this season was set by JB at the start, pre-takeover. You clearly think he was given a big enough budget to compete - I look at the standard of player we brought in - and what I've been told by connections - that the offers some of the players got where exactly the same as last season. Since TW came in, what help has he thrown Bollans way? An unfit McBride - not even Bollans choice.

I wont argue about the crowds as they've been dwindelling for some time. Again though, I wouldn't lay the blame for that on Bollan. I didn't like his regressive brand of football this season, but you can only piss with the cock you've got and we don't have the players to play "the right way". EWB will soon find that out.

What worries me is that the emphasis seems solely on bringing through youth, possibly to the detriment of the first team. EWB has is philosophy and while many may think it's a commendable one, we haven't got the personnel to carry it through at the moment. Where will that leave us in the short to medium term?

No he doesn't. He even states he sees it completely opposite from you.

When Bollan came in mid season, he turned things round and brought in decent players. End of season and too much hanging around by the board meant he had to rebuild all over again. So last season was another slow start. Again, he managed to get things together by mid season and we go on another solid run. This preseason we were more organised and it shows I terms of league position and points. The quality has not been great at times but the squad is weaker after losing Boyle & Docherty and with Fraser going back to Dundee Utd. They're hard players to replace.

It seems very much like Bollan has not been fully supported this season by the new owner so fair play to him for jumping ship and I can see why it would be hard for him to seem like he gave a fu(k when he clearly was not valued by club and fans alike.

When Bollan came in mid season, he turned things round and brought in decent players. End of season and too much hanging around by the board meant he had to rebuild all over again. So last season was another slow start. Again, he managed to get things together by mid season and we go on another solid run. This preseason we were more organised and it shows I terms of league position and points. The quality has not been great at times but the squad is weaker after losing Boyle & Docherty and with Fraser going back to Dundee Utd. They're hard players to replace.

It seems very much like Bollan has not been fully supported this season by the new owner so fair play to him for jumping ship and I can see why it would be hard for him to seem like he gave a fu(k when he clearly was not valued by club and fans alike.

Agree with this 100%, you could see the writing was on the wall from day one and he walked at the first opportunity which is nothing anyone one of would have done in the same position, but nothing we can do about it now and will be keen to see how we line up and play on Saturday now.

Haha, I love how you say you and Pesadilla are big/ugly enough to talk for yourselves, yet you keep talking trying to convince everyone your opinions are the same!

In terms of justifying my comments with a response, you posted in a different thread saying Lennon will be in as manager and he should start Watt & Stewart in centre mid together. Now there's a steely midfield. Lost some respect for that comment. Lol

I think we all realise now that from the minute Wolecki and McBride came in the door ,there objective was to get Bollan out the door,as McBride was the Chairmans big signing, it's obvious now that he was only there to be there dressing room mole, but it's the Chairmans choice who he brings in and although I think it's a disaster, I'm willing to give them both the chance to prove themselves

Think this is out of order ! You seem to forget the poor results that we had didn't help his case. if bollan was winning every week and top of the league are you trying to say the outcome would have been the same.

Budgets were set before TW came in so in terms of support for Bollan I think you are being slightly harsh on him, and in fact should point the blame at the Ballantynes as they continually set poor budgets and hence why players like Docherty have moved on.

Think this is out of order ! You seem to forget the poor results that we had didn't help his case. if bollan was winning every week and top of the league are you trying to say the outcome would have been the same.

Theres no doubt that if we were sitting top of the league Bollan would still have his bright red Puma jumper on.

For starters, i tried communicating directly with Pesadilla, you are butting in like the pussy you always have been.

The rest of your post is just top class and had me in tears of depression. I'm now checking into ward 24 over Christmas due to being shredded by your masterly, razor sharp, "high living", wit. Sorry I wont be around on here to keep up with you. Enjoy your Turkey whlst I'm shovelling in the ritalin. "Lol"

Can we class this as a meltdown yet?

I was told 3 weeks ago from a good source that GB was told to find another job ,

For starters, i tried communicating directly with Pesadilla, you are butting in like the pussy you always have been.

The rest of your post is just top class and had me in tears of depression. I'm now checking into ward 24 over Christmas due to being shredded by your masterly, razor sharp, "high living", wit. Sorry I wont be around on here to keep up with you. Enjoy your Turkey whlst I'm shovelling in the ritalin. "Lol"

Butting in on a public forum? Now there's a new level of pish I didn't think even you could reach.

Thanks as ever for your high quality opinion on my posts. Keep that feedback coming. Merry Christmas to all in ward 24.

Cannot wait to see Lithgow, Crighton, Fitzpatrick, Cox et al put in Barcelona esque performances from Saturday onwards. Our players have the talent to play a tika taka possession style game and will take the league by storm. I see no flaw with this plan at all.

Again are you Ian king , Tom wotherspoon , Eddie wolecki black or the wee boy that sells the programs or the tea lady !

Same pish, different day on here for Carluke Diamond, your actually wasting yourself on here you should be on the stage Your a comedian

Same pish, different day on here for Carluke Diamond, your actually wasting yourself on here you should be on the stage Your a comedian

Well you claim to have insider information that could only come from the top of the food chain, at to quote your good self your not to bad at spouting the same push either, look at me I know someone at Airdrie and they give me some information !!!

Archived