The Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2015

Correct me if I'm wrong but I wouldn't say Airdrie have a worse squad than Albion Rovers so certainly should be doing at least as well as them.

Albion Rovers have the smallest squad and smallest budget in the league.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure what I think of this until I see his replacement. Bollan did a decent job with us, joined us when we looked like getting relegated and leaves us 5th in the league in a decent position for someone to take over. However I would say he's been a bit fortunate the last couple of years by being able to bring in high quality loan players who were way beyond the level of the division.

Getting those players in on loan is an important part of the job at this level (McManus at Morton and McMullan at Stenny last year, and Murdoch at Cowden this year all spring to mind). It's part of the game, especially at diddy-club level where nobody has any money. In that sense I wouldn't say he's been fortunate so much as he's done that part of the job well, and used his contacts to his and our advantage (for the most part, that is).

Barry Ferguson MBE (born 2 February 1978)[3] is a Scottish formerfootballer who is the manager of Scottish League Two club Clyde.

Ferguson has previously played for Rangers (two spells), Blackburn Rovers, Birmingham City, Blackpool and Fleetwood Town. Towards the end of his playing spell with Blackpool, he was appointed caretaker manager of the club. Ferguson was appointedplayer/manager of Clyde in June 2014.

This guy is mates with king and wotherspoon

He is also partly responsible for the disbandment of the Clyde youth academy and the average age of his team must be about 35. Doesn't exactly fit the model we're putting in place. Besides,he's paying half of the Clyde players wages apparently. Don't know what would happen there if he moved on.

Not really sure what to make of this tbh, I think if it was just a simple case of the club had sacked him then I would have been disappointed but the fact it looks like he has applied for the Forfar job and club has released him then I think its best for all concerned parties.

With regards to a new manager, if it is Black or Ferguson or Black/ King then they need to hit the ground running or this constant undermining of Bollan over the last few months would have been for nothing. I still think Wotherspoon should have fully backed Bollan or got rid of him at the start of the season and not this kind of oddly tense setup where the chairman and head of youth coaching are gunning for his job from day one.

Can you post a link to evidence of anyone undermining Bollan? Or anyone "gunning for his job".

People seem to take unfounded opinions on here as fact.

Yes it's a football forum not a court of law, not everything that is posted on here is a fact, I imagine that if you removed everything from here that was not a fact then it would be very sparse looking.

It is however my OPINION that things haven't been right since King and Black came in and I think it would be very difficult for anyone to deny that

Can you post a link to evidence of anyone undermining Bollan? Or anyone "gunning for his job".

People seem to take unfounded opinions on here as fact.

I am with you on this, nobody has been gunning for bollans job, bollan in my opinion hasn't provided good enough performance to show the chairman he's the man for the job. So it's a win win , we've got a chance to get a manager who can get us into the playoffs whoever it may be

Bollan has been a decent enough manager however it's clear that he's not going to get us out this division.

The only circumstance where it would be acceptable to appoint EWB if it was on an interim basis if their man (i.e. Billy Reid) isn't available until the end of the season.

I am with you on this, nobody has been gunning for bollans job, bollan in my opinion hasn't provided good enough performance to show the chairman he's the man for the job. So it's a win win , we've got a chance to get a manager who can get us into the playoffs whoever it may be

As I said is just my opinion, but also pleased we now have a chance to bring in someone with some new ideas and hopefully can now start to produce some decent performances. It pains me to say this but EWB may be what the club needs right now. He is a relatively unknown quantity in the mens game and could prove to be a fantastic manager, sadly though the flip side of the coin is he could be another Scott Booth.

As I said is just my opinion, but also pleased we now have a chance to bring in someone with some new ideas and hopefully can now start to produce some decent performances. It pains me to say this but EWB may be what the club needs right now. He is a relatively unknown quantity in the mens game and could prove to be a fantastic manager, sadly though the flip side of the coin is he could be another Scott Booth.

Why does it 'pain' you to say it ?

Because I stated a few month ago that I would not be happy with him as a manager

Any reason why not ? His lack of experience, or something else ?

Not my 1st choice, but must admit it would be nice to see someone else apart from the usual suspects that are mentioned every time a job comes up in Scotland.

Any reason why not ? His lack of experience, or something else ?

Not my 1st choice, but must admit it would be nice to see someone else apart from the usual suspects that are mentioned every time a job comes up in Scotland.

As i said earlier just a bit of an unknown quantity but would be nice to see a new face in the game, nothing else against they guy tbh

This old Tell Him He's Pele interview may enlighten some of you with regards to EWB.

What some of you are suggesting happened to "Bobo" Bollan is exactly what happened to Eddie at Montrose. So I cannot believe that he would do to someone else, what was done to him.

He's a passionate and very knowledgable guy and I feel that he would do well at Airdrie given the time. However I would be surprised if he passed up the youth coaching remit which is what he is most interested in; being left to buold up the whole youth structure from scratch.

My money would be on AN Other being appointed. Billy Reid wouldn't surprise me at all.

Archived