The Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2015

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How long are these coaches going to remain at the club for. I spent 4-5 years coaching youth football and spent some of that time at Airdrie. The turnover rate in this job is crazily high. The coaches are not under contract who is to say they don't use this opportunity to go to a bigger club or even if they just chuck it all together. Where is the benefit for our youth in say 3 years time when a new set of coaches come in do we pay for them to go Barca too ?

It's the same dilemna for any business - cost of employee investment vs risks of employee leaving but, in practice, it's generally a virtuous cycle i.e. the employee values the training they are receiving from the employer and is less likely to leave (notwithstanding other factors such as salary, working environment, team culture etc).

If the club were really risk averse, I've heard of arrangements where employees pay back training costs (in part or full) if they leave their employer within a specified timeframe from receiving the training.

Also, employees who benefit from such training can start to put in place more effective processes and system which will benefit their employer and future employees long after they have left the organisation.

Ultimately, training is an investment in the long term success of an organisation. Companies will only ever stand a chance achieving a consistent and sustained level of (good) performance by taking decisions which support their strategic goals. This is especially true in professions where level of knowledge plays a significant factor in staff performance.

I'm making no specific comment on whether training with Barcelona is a cost effective way of achieving these goals but the facts that training costs money and employees leave companies should not, by themselves, rule this out as an option.

http://airdriefc.com/news/2015/12/owenandsandy

Airdrieonians legends Owen Coyle and Sandy Stewart were in superb form as they entertained the fans with their football banter last night - and raised £1,203 for the Academy.

The Houston Dynamos managerial double act were back on their old stomping ground for a fun Q and A session that ended with a quiz shoot-out with punters joining them on their teams.

Oweny won out in the quiz much to Sandy’s disgust but it was an evening to walk down Memory Lane with two true icons of the Diamonds.

Owen said: “I had three spells here and I just kept coming back because it was such a special club with a unique feeling about it.

“I had no hesitation when I was asked to do this night during our break when we were home from the MLS because it’s a brilliant cause and the Club will always be close to my heart.”

Sandy has been a regular at the games over the last few weeks as he watches the progress of his son Scott in the first team.

And he said: “This place meant so much to me after 12 years as a player and four and a half as the manager.

“It was wonderful to see so many old faces and meet up with people again and I wish the Academy and the coaches every success in their work.”

The Club owes a great debt to Owen, who drove up especially for the event from England, and Sandy for taking the time out to help.

And chief executive Iain King, who posed the questions, said: “Every penny raised from the night will go into player development here at Airdrieonians.

“It helps with funding aspects of the new training regime like sports science and match analysis and these are key to improving our young footballers.

“Owen and Sandy are not just legendary players for this Club but terrific people too.”

It's the same dilemna for any business - cost of employee investment vs risks of employee leaving but, in practice, it's generally a virtuous cycle i.e. the employee values the training they are receiving from the employer and is less likely to leave (notwithstanding other factors such as salary, working environment, team culture etc).

If the club were really risk averse, I've heard of arrangements where employees pay back training costs (in part or full) if they leave their employer within a specified timeframe from receiving the training.

Also, employees who benefit from such training can start to put in place more effective processes and system which will benefit their employer and future employees long after they have left the organisation.

Ultimately, training is an investment in the long term success of an organisation. Companies will only ever stand a chance achieving a consistent and sustained level of (good) performance by taking decisions which support their strategic goals. This is especially true in professions where level of knowledge plays a significant factor in staff performance.

I'm making no specific comment on whether training with Barcelona is a cost effective way of achieving these goals but the facts that training costs money and employees leave companies should not, by themselves, rule this out as an option.

Good post. I don't know anything about this other than what I've read on here, but for people to be opposed in principle to training our staff is ridiculous. Lots of clubs pay lip service to investing in their youth setups but actually do very little. If we're serious about creating a youth setup that provides us with quality players you need to make a big investment and broaden your horizons slightly, rather than running a glorified boys club system. The club seem to be doing this in a few ways. I'm not saying a trip to Barcelona or anywhere else is the answer, but I'm for the club trying anything they think may benefit us.

How much time do these coaches put into the club for virtually nothing? The implication that this would be some kind of jolly by people using the club for a free trip is pretty insulting given how much time they put in. In any profession of you want to improve your staff, and just as importantly, attract better staff, you need to invest in training them.

http://airdriefc.com/news/2015/12/owenandsandy

Airdrieonians legends Owen Coyle and Sandy Stewart were in superb form as they entertained the fans with their football banter last night - and raised £1,203 for the Academy.

The Houston Dynamos managerial double act were back on their old stomping ground for a fun Q and A session that ended with a quiz shoot-out with punters joining them on their teams.

Oweny won out in the quiz much to Sandy’s disgust but it was an evening to walk down Memory Lane with two true icons of the Diamonds.

Owen said: “I had three spells here and I just kept coming back because it was such a special club with a unique feeling about it.

“I had no hesitation when I was asked to do this night during our break when we were home from the MLS because it’s a brilliant cause and the Club will always be close to my heart.”

Sandy has been a regular at the games over the last few weeks as he watches the progress of his son Scott in the first team.

And he said: “This place meant so much to me after 12 years as a player and four and a half as the manager.

“It was wonderful to see so many old faces and meet up with people again and I wish the Academy and the coaches every success in their work.”

The Club owes a great debt to Owen, who drove up especially for the event from England, and Sandy for taking the time out to help.

And chief executive Iain King, who posed the questions, said: “Every penny raised from the night will go into player development here at Airdrieonians.

“It helps with funding aspects of the new training regime like sports science and match analysis and these are key to improving our young footballers.

“Owen and Sandy are not just legendary players for this Club but terrific people too.”

Those xmas jumpers are outstanding. Can you get them anywhere?

Those

Re: the coaches going to Barcelona, apparently the vast majority of the trip is self-funded, i.e. the coaches are paying for it themselves.

Shocking, can't believe they are being made to pay for their own training, especially given they are not paid to do the coaching in the first place

Blimey.

If the club raises funds to pay for it: OUTRAGE.

If the club doesn't pay for it: OUTRAGE.

Why is it so many of our fans aren't happy unless they're outraged?

Here fishy, fishy

In all seriousness though not really bothered by the whole thing now, would just like to see some first team football

Good result and a good game overall today. The first half was pretty even and on another day Stranraer could have scored a couple early on and went on to win. Thankfully they didn't, with Parry pulling off some spectacular saves. Overall though we deserved the 3 points. Great to see both Prunty and Morgan scoring again. We're at our best when we play two up front and, with them both hitting a bit of form, hopefully, Bollan will keep it that way. Will be interesting to see what happens with regards to Morgan and his loan spell. Cadden had another great game. A few rash decisions but that will improve with experience. Morgan and Watt both took their goals extremely well. Only weak link in the team was Van Zanten. Was dreadful.

Was good to see Lister back on the pitch too (even though he didn't look particularly fit).

Seems to be all van Zanten can offer, i cant see where he can find improvement from, Chris O'Neill is 10x then player despite being out of position.

At the moment we could do with a left back (maybe vould be Fitz?) Or defensive cover, a good midfielder and a good lively striker with pace.

Smith, Sumsky, Morgan and Hunter are soon to be gone as their loans are up. McBride, van Zanten, Morton and McAleer seem to be unwanted surplus.

Surely we can turn those 8 players into 2 or 3 neccessary parts that can lead us into the playoffs?

Archived