Ayr United, what now 2015-16

Stevo scored a few spectacular goals, that is long range shots hit with power and on target. Other than that he offered little else. He was too heavy and lacking fitness when he returned and never used the chance he had tp improve. Did little in the final game against Stranraer. Keeping him could be a major blunder by McCall unless its on some sort of trial basis but I dont think Stevo would agree to that.

Yeah he did score a few good goals (but never when I was there to see them!) I probably saw about 6 or 7 games in person and in every one he was poor. Honestly thought he'd be the star man on Sunday and up for it, but he was slow and looked uninterested. His wages could be better spent elsewhere

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have been willing to make an exception if he had been scoring from 35 yards every game but in the Stranraer game he was a passenger and slowed the game down every time he got the ball. He was even failing to complete the simplest of passes. He obviously cares about the club and that's great but when he plays he couldn't be arsed. We are going into a league and competing with the likes of Hibs, Dundee Utd and hopefully Killie, we can only afford to take the players who are willing to give there best for the team. Hence why Trouten's poor attitude could see him booted out the door any day now.

It's been a blast Stevo but cheerio.

I thought he'd have been a smashing signing, dropping from the Prem to League 1, I thought he'd stroll this league. Sadly he did stroll but not in a good way! He's far too slow and the likes of Hibs, Dundee Utd, maybe Falkirk, all have quick players who'll exploit that. I'd be very suprised to see him starting games for us next season but his name alone may keep him here

Stevenson looked a passenger in League 1, so why's he suddenly going to be back to a superstar in the Championship?

Plz point out where I ever said that or even advocated keeping Stevenson.

Thanks.

Did I say you did? I didn't quote you and was merely mentioning him as the striker/attacking options were being discussed.

The mention of Stevenson prompted you to claim folk were saying he'd be a "superstar" next season. I don't think anyone has claimed that.

The mention of Stevenson prompted you to claim folk were saying he'd be a "superstar" next season. I don't think anyone has claimed that.

I know its hard to let go but the championship forum now has this thread

I'm Airdrie fan the only thing wrong with Stevenson is he is overweight I would put on onus on him to get himself fit and not overweight he does that you agree to give him contract he doesn't you let him go. Their is no point letting a player think he can get away with being unfit you lay down the law he either knuckles down or he doesn't you put the ball in his court.

People clearly hugely underestimate the importance of fitness, a fit Stevenson should be a good player in the championship. A good fitness regime can completely turn a player around (look at Gilmour, but Stevenson is coming from a much lower starting point)

I still wouldn't offer him a contract until he proved that fitness though.

How long does it take a professional footballer to get fit?? He was here for 4/5 months for chrissakes. If anything, he got worse after March!

Don't get me wrong, obviously that should have happened, he's clearly not put the effort in since he's been here to do that. That will need to change and he'll need to be beasting himself the second he gets back from Ibiza!

How long does it take a professional footballer to get fit?? He was here for 4/5 months for chrissakes. If anything, he got worse after March!

Obviously a professional should get fit in that time, but it's still much easier to get fit with a proper pre-season to build up to competitive action rather than being flung in mid-season when you aren't up to it and expected to catch up.

Of course, the issue is what the nature of his fitness problem actually is - is that he's just a bit out of shape and lacking in sharpness, in which case getting a proper pre-season should solve the problem, or is it that his body is done in and he can hardly run? If it's the latter, a proper pre-season isn't going to make a difference because there's no real level of fitness to recover and he's finished.

Obviously a professional should get fit in that time, but it's still much easier to get fit with a proper pre-season to build up to competitive action rather than being flung in mid-season when you aren't up to it and expected to catch up.

Of course, the issue is what the nature of his fitness problem actually is - is that he's just a bit out of shape and lacking in sharpness, in which case getting a proper pre-season should solve the problem, or is it that his body is done in and he can hardly run? If it's the latter, a proper pre-season isn't going to make a difference because there's no real level of fitness to recover and he's finished.

Very true, and this is something which McCall will only realise after a full pre season. He's 31, surely he can't be done? (What I trying to tell myself anyway)

Remember what the squad was like when McCall came in and look at them now after they had a proper pre season with him.  The first thing he mentioned at the meet the manager event was the fitness.  I have no doubts McCall can get him fit, it is just down to how much Stevo wants it.

Archived